Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

onemile

I guess I'm just paranoid about getting injured.  Last time I ran a marathon, I injured myself 5 weeks later and it took over 2 years to feel ready to run another one.  So I don't want to jump back in too quickly and do the same.  I made a graston appointment for tomorrow, so hopefully that will help.

mdawg - nice 7.  I was surprised at how easy MP felt on rested, carb loaded legs. Race day magic played a role too.  I think you'll find the same.  Especially if you use Hansons because you'll forget what rested legs feel like!

Flinders - good on sneaking in a lunch time run.

Rollcast - :dancing banana:  Exciting!

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Ouch just found out that Poconos got certified after all...after everyone deferred already, and after I found an alternate marathon.  Now who is the idiot. ME.  I would have rather run the faster course Sad

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My coach gave me one.

Did you find a heat-index/pace-adjustment equivalency chart somewhere?

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Boo.

Ouch just found out that Poconos got certified after all...after everyone deferred already, and after I found an alternate marathon.  Now who is the idiot. ME.  I would have rather run the faster course Sad

Damaris

Rusk Runner

Roll - I am happy and excited for you brotha!!!

Managed to squeeze in 3 treadmill miles.  27 minutes but the paces were all slow except for 2 x 400 @ 7:30 pace just to remind my legs that they are able to open up the stride a little.  I will be doing no speed work until I have completed 4 weeks of recovery, the 2 x 400 was just a mild stride for my own sanity.

cooking creole stewed okra and brown rice pasta.  Dont know how the two actually go together, but I LOVE creole stewed okra.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Thanks Indi and Onemile!

Creole stewed okra? Sounds great, recipe?

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Ami - FYI you're on the naughty nag list again. 

Ball of Fury

Ami - FYI you're on the naughty nag list again. 

Dammit!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Dammit!!

This made me laugh out loud for some reason. thanks, needed that after a long day

Rusk Runner

will try to post recipe if I have more time tomorrow.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 8 miles. Garmin died during the run, so I don't know what my pace was. But it was definitely slow.

Onemile, do you remember how much running you were doing when you got injured last time? When I say active recovery, I'm not talking about coming back to 30 mpw or anything.im talking like a very, VERY slow 1-2 mile jog, just to get the blood flowing. And as you come back, I think keeping the paces real easy is key. When I came back from my first half marathon ever, I was super motivated, and started running after a week or so. At that time I didn't know anything about easy running. And I promptly pulled my Peroneal tendon, and was out like two weeks.

Indi, glad you got your fix.

Roll, very cool. Houston sounds like a cool race.

Excellent running all!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

onemile: If you are paranoid about trying too much, too soon, the sort of active recovery Cbus recommends is good.  I found I was going a bit stir crazy (and, I had all this free time that I didn't know what to do with), even though I was running about 20mpw soon after my fulls.  Other types of low-impact cardio can fill in the gap, too, so you don't lose as much aerobic fitness while you let your legs and all of the tendons, ligaments, and other connective tissue heal from the race.  After a week or two of down time, take two weeks and just run when you feel like it.  I find that always helps me recover.

Indy: that sounds yummy.  I've found that most things that you can serve over rice do well (or well enough) over pasta.

Roll: exciting!  Houston is on my list because it is at an interesting time of year (i.e not crowded into October/November or March/April like most races on the east coast).

Sprinkles: Bummer.  You've been running well, so I think you'll smash Cleveland, in any event.

Docket: Hi!

Me: I got in 6.5 easy @ 8:24 this evening for my double; 10 total for the day.  This evening felt like early April and not late April.  I'm enjoying our cold snap while it lasts.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Smashy!!!

Sprinkles, oh yeah, I forgot to ask: what's does your post mean? Do you mean Poconos sold out?

Flinders, nice runs.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Thanks guys. Now I just need to pick a plan. Leaning toward Hanson.

Sprinkles - it's gonna male Cleveland that much sweeter.

Onemile - I agree with Cbus and Flinders. I would throw in a recommendation to do some swimming for recovery.   I think swimming is super under rated.

Josh - I am with you on the yoga sentiment. My wife loves bikram but I just can't get into it.

I went out for 5.5 miles and came back with 8. Good run

ap4

Wow, lots to catch up on.

Re: hydration: I tried using a handheld, just wasn't feeling it.  I kind of run my route around a couple of water fountains.  I don't seem to have  a problem with monotony or rerunning the same loops so I can not go more than 3-5 miles in between water fountains.  My balance just seemed thrown off with the handheld.

Re: Post marathon recovery.  The last two marathons, I've gone into Pfitz's 12 week multiple marathon schedule.  The first week has a total  of 22-27 miles.

M rest

T rest or 5 mi

Wed recovery 5 mi

Th rest/x-train

Fri  recovery 5 mi

Sat recovery 5 mi

Sun recovery 7mi

As long as I took it easy, it wasn't too bad.  Week 2 was 32 miles, Week 3 was 42 miles, Week 4: 54 miles.  So far I've been pretty resilient. The active recovery helps.  I guess I'm a little afraid if I get used to not running, I might take weeks/months to start back up again.  On the flip side, I'm terrible about stretching, foam rolling, and other aspects.

WOTD: 7 miles, easy, tapering into my HM 5/5.