Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

AmiK - I made nag list 2 weeks in a row few weeks back.

Dammit!!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Ball of Fury

Easy 5 on the TM this morning (it was supposed to be storming at 5 AM but it wasn't but I already had my stuff packed up so went to the gym anyway)...wasn't all that easy and it wasn't pleasant.  Topped off with a cold shower because the gym was out of hot water...first world problems, right?  The leg doesn't "hurt," but it's uncomfortable.  I am not sure I described it well yesterday when I said my quad...it is on the far lateral side where the ITB runs, but it feels like a bruise, definitely not like traditional quad soreness.  I stretched, iced, and foam rolled the heck out of it last night and it was a bit better this morning but still noticeable.  Starting to freak out a little.  PT tonight.  I have absolutely decided to DNS the Spartan Race this weekend and I can tell my "team" is very disappointed in me...oh well.

CBus:  Nice slow 8.

Flinders:  Nice double!  I love this weather and hope it holds up until after next weekend.

Roll:  Isn't it nice when  you head out and come back with more miles than planned.  I am glad I could make you laugh.  I vote for Hanson's!

Ap4:  Nice to see you here.  Nice 7 and good luck next weekend.  Remind me what HM you are running?

Jedi:  Yeah...there is just too much to do on the internet these days and I just forget!  And I still  haven't figured out if I am supposed to post what I think my mileage will be for this week or what I ran last week!

Sprinkles:  That stinks!

Everyone else:  Hi!  Go run and then have a Donut.  Except for you Jenny...don't run, but you can have donut.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

My coach gave me one.

Came across this which is fairly similar to this one.

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Today's a SRD. I feel a lot better over all, but still not sure I'm ready to go faster than easy/recovery pace.

Ami, I still think it's an adhesion. It might also be tender from the Graston/rolling. That's normal. Let your chiro know where the spot is, and they can Graston the knot out. It'll hurt like hell though, so get ready. As far as rest, in my experience, rest never helped with ITBS. When I'm not running the ITBS feels great, and as soon as I get back on the roads, it comes roaring back.

Sprinkles, when I woke up this morning, what "certified" meant came to me like a flash. You mean it got USTF certified so that it is a Boston qualifier, right? For some strange reason, I thought "certified" was some kind of East Coast slang, as in: "I just found $20 in my coat pocket!", "That's certified..."

Good running all!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Lol at the certified!!  And that's what I thought about the rest as well.  At least, I have heard that from a lot of people.

Hey all,

Today's a SRD. I feel a lot better over all, but still not sure I'm ready to go faster than easy/recovery pace.

Ami, I still think it's an adhesion. It might also be tender from the Graston/rolling. That's normal. Let your chiro know where the spot is, and they can Graston the knot out. It'll hurt like hell though, so get ready. As far as rest, in my experience, rest never helped with ITBS. When I'm not running the ITBS feels great, and as soon as I get back on the roads, it comes roaring back.

Sprinkles, when I woke up this morning, what "certified" meant came to me like a flash. You mean it got USTF certified so that it is a Boston qualifier, right? For some strange reason, I thought "certified" was some kind of East Coast slang, as in: "I just found $20 in my coat pocket!", "That's certified..."

Good running all!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

Amik - I have the same experience as cbus in that rest didn't help.  Are you foam rolling 3x a day?  Not just once. Do it more.  And if you can get more graston, that's good.  I think ITB stuff likes to stick around forever. My left side still gets tight.  But after awhile it gets manageable and I've been able to run a lot as long as I do basic maintenance stuff like rolling and stretching and avoiding camber.

cbus - enjoy the rest.

I guess I feel like I'm ready to run again. Most of the soreness is gone. But I want to be smart about it.  So another rest day.  I have a graston appointment for tonight which should hopefully help get me back ready to start running soon.  I have no problem taking it slow and easy for the next month.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

What you ran last week.  And go post since you're on my team!  I assume it's the miles game?

Easy 5 on the TM this morning (it was supposed to be storming at 5 AM but it wasn't but I already had my stuff packed up so went to the gym anyway)...wasn't all that easy and it wasn't pleasant.  Topped off with a cold shower because the gym was out of hot water...first world problems, right?  The leg doesn't "hurt," but it's uncomfortable.  I am not sure I described it well yesterday when I said my quad...it is on the far lateral side where the ITB runs, but it feels like a bruise, definitely not like traditional quad soreness.  I stretched, iced, and foam rolled the heck out of it last night and it was a bit better this morning but still noticeable.  Starting to freak out a little.  PT tonight.  I have absolutely decided to DNS the Spartan Race this weekend and I can tell my "team" is very disappointed in me...oh well.

CBus:  Nice slow 8.

Flinders:  Nice double!  I love this weather and hope it holds up until after next weekend.

Roll:  Isn't it nice when  you head out and come back with more miles than planned.  I am glad I could make you laugh.  I vote for Hanson's!

Ap4:  Nice to see you here.  Nice 7 and good luck next weekend.  Remind me what HM you are running?

Jedi:  Yeah...there is just too much to do on the internet these days and I just forget!  And I still  haven't figured out if I am supposed to post what I think my mileage will be for this week or what I ran last week!

Sprinkles:  That stinks!

Everyone else:  Hi!  Go run and then have a Donut.  Except for you Jenny...don't run, but you can have donut.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I did 4 last night, so 6 and weights tonight.

RVD, mine gives you paces for temps from 60 through 100 and for each pace and you can either use it to (1) calculate what you should be running on that day if it's 90F, or (2) extrapolate your race at 90F and what it would be in better weather.  You really cannot compare a 5K at 60F with one at 100F and become frustrated because the second one was slower, so putting them in the same temperature gives you an idea of how you are doing.

Basically, if it's 80F I run 30sec per mile slower or thereabouts.  The problem with these calculators is that they don't take into consideration dewpoint and as you know, mine is too high to even run the pace at 80F.  But yes, the first one you shared gave me a similar number for my 27:22 5K (I ran 26:30 adjusted).  Which means I'm slower than September, ha!

Damaris

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Cbus- Poconos rerouted their course due to construction, meaning its now straight downhill with rough hills at the end.  I was ok with this until (a) it lost Boston Certification and (b) they were going to allow traffic to go both ways on the course, meaning you have to run 26.2 miles with a serious road camber downhill.  I feel like its a recipe for injury.  They got recertified, but traffic is still a concern, so this is better I think.

Indiana - Okra is awesome- I wish DH liked it, but he does not.  Alas.

Flinders/Rollcast - Thanks.  Cleveland is similar to what I run at home: headwind and hills on the water. Pretty confident the course isn't going to confuse me, that's for sure.

Rollcast/Josh- I can't do yoga either.  I get so bored I leave halfway through the class if I make it that far.  I've done bikram before but then I realize they lock you in and you can't leave after 30 minutes (which is about the length of my attention span for hearing about chakras and center and peace and vegan juice cleanses), so I never went back

8 miles for me @ 9:50 (RECOVERY) pace.  Recovery feels easier after 20 miles and then 8 with 6 at goal MP

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

White Lightning

Amik - I find I really have to roll at least 2 times a day but i'm doing 3 times right now and its really helping.  This afternoon I'm picking up one of those rumble rollers to help get to some deeper spots.

Yoga, Tai Chi and a lot of foam rolling yesterday.  Couldn't believe how sore and tight I was after a simple 5 mile run.  Looking at getting out this afternoon for another 5 or so then some more Yoga.  Legs are really feeling like its time to get going after their time off and weather is too nice not to run.  10 weeks until my half in July which if all goes well i'm hoping will set my training paces for my November Marathon.  I'm nervous to say that I'm back, but I really think i'm back.

Play the Game Hard!

Smashy!!!

Amik - I have the same experience as cbus in that rest didn't help.  Are you foam rolling 3x a day?  Not just once. Do it more.  And if you can get more graston, that's good.  I think ITB stuff likes to stick around forever. My left side still gets tight.  But after awhile it gets manageable and I've been able to run a lot as long as I do basic maintenance stuff like rolling and stretching and avoiding camber.

cbus - enjoy the rest.

I guess I feel like I'm ready to run again. Most of the soreness is gone. But I want to be smart about it.  So another rest day.  I have a graston appointment for tonight which should hopefully help get me back ready to start running soon.  I have no problem taking it slow and easy for the next month.

This, I think, is the key right here.

Smashy!!!

Sprinkles, for what it's worth, I think you'll do well in Cleveland regardless. Good luck!

Cbus- Poconos rerouted their course due to construction, meaning its now straight downhill with rough hills at the end.  I was ok with this until (a) it lost Boston Certification and (b) they were going to allow traffic to go both ways on the course, meaning you have to run 26.2 miles with a serious road camber downhill.  I feel like its a recipe for injury.  They got recertified, but traffic is still a concern, so this is better I think.

Indiana - Okra is awesome- I wish DH liked it, but he does not.  Alas.

Flinders/Rollcast - Thanks.  Cleveland is similar to what I run at home: headwind and hills on the water. Pretty confident the course isn't going to confuse me, that's for sure.

Rollcast/Josh- I can't do yoga either.  I get so bored I leave halfway through the class if I make it that far.  I've done bikram before but then I realize they lock you in and you can't leave after 30 minutes (which is about the length of my attention span for hearing about chakras and center and peace and vegan juice cleanses), so I never went back

8 miles for me @ 9:50 (RECOVERY) pace.  Recovery feels easier after 20 miles and then 8 with 6 at goal MP

Rusk Runner

Onemile - Your thinking is sound. Even Pfitz rec's a 5 week recovery period if you can squeeze it in.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Regarding carrying water, I have thought about a belt or something, but last year I just carried 2 20oz water bottles with me on long runs that I rescued from ending up in the recycle bin. That seemed to work well enough and was cheap. Maybe I will upgrade this year.

I ran 11 miles yesterday on a beautiful 73deg day, and again was more tired than I should have been. Just chalking it up to getting used to running more. Perfect day for a SRD today, as today it is in the 30s and snowing. I think I might take an extra rest day Saturday as we are having a bday party for my son that turned 3 yesterday (and hopefully closer to 70 than 30).

Cbus - LOL on 'certified'... I was confused when you said you didn't know what she meant by her previous post.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Canuck

Good morning all.  Rode my bike to work again this morning as the weather has been awesome this week.  Will run after work today, probably will stretch it out to 9 miles, I've done 6 twice recently, so I think I'd like a longer run today.  Didn't make it to spin class last night as someone at work sent me something at 4:30, so I couldn't leave early enough.  I do have a spin bike at home though, so I did 45 mins on that while watching the basketball playoffs and managed to work up quite a sweat.  Added 20 mins of upper body weights as well.

onemile - I think the key in the next few weeks is avoiding any speed.  Given your base mileage and how well you managed your training plan, you'll probably be able to get your weekly mileage back up (if you want to) in a few weeks, but just stay away from any fast running, lots of easy runs.

AmiK - PT should help with your quad/IT, hope it feels better.  When my IT bands were tight last week it did almost feel like a bruise (and hurt like hell to roll), but frequent rolling helped a lot.

Sprinkles - I think you're better off, don't like the sound of that altered course, even if it is certified.

joshlynn - enjoy your 5.  I was crazy sore after a 6 mile run early last week due to my lack of running, but thankfully it went away pretty quickly.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)