Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Smashy!!!

Doesn't Luke say in the book that the Hansons base their program off of the psysiologial research Daniels has done?  I have the Daniels book but haven't had time to read through it closely and think about the plans and their differences, but if the science underpinning both plans is Daniels' own research, then it stands to reason that there might be a lot of similarities.

!

You're right. He does say that. I knew the princilpes were similar. I just didn't know if the plans, with the actual workouts, we're also similar.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

I recently got the  Daniels book and now that I have read more of it, and more carefully, I find I like the way everything is reasoned out. I realize that many of my easy runs are too fast and in that awkward "in-between" zone. Have to work on that! (Some of the running photos with guys in those old shorts look pretty dated, though!)

Cbus, do a 5k time trial and see how you like it- we have been joking about it a lot, but really it is a distance that is very rewarding, and useful as a fitness and pace indicator.

With one day left I am over 200kms (about 125 miles) for February, so that is three months in a row- not a big deal but good for winter months for me. I am starting to get excited about my race on May 5th.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

cmb4314

Cbus - run a 5k Joking.

In all seriousness, I hardly run them because I suck at them.  I run until I think I'm going to puke, and look down at my Garmin and I'm running like....7:50s.  And I get sad and frustrated.  So I don't blame you Smile

My husband got his sub-4 this weekend in New Orleans - he flew through the first half in 1:53, and survived the second half in 2:03.  When he passed me at mile 9 at an 8:40 pace, I was terrified he'd crash worse than that, so I'm glad he still met his goal.  Overall, the race seemed to be well run - this is one of the decent RnR races.

Looks like I will have my ankle immobilized in the boot until at least 3/27 - at least, that's when I have the appointment to get an x-ray and make sure the bone is healed.  Apparently I'm going to have to gradually ease into weight bearing over the course of a few weeks after that, and I'll start PT while I do that.  I was told that for the first week I'd be allowed to put 25% of my weight on the foot - I have no freaking clue how that is going to work, LOL.  I'm guessing some combination of crutches and a walking cast?  Sounds complicated to me.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

4 recovery last night (2 with pup so they were slower than usual.

4.5 tempo miles tonight

8:40

8:40

8:24

7:24

last .5 was at a 9:00 pace

cmb - I am praying for your quick recovery. Tell DH congrats!!!!

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

cmb, congrats to your hubby.  Sorry you were unable to run it :-(

What I like about Daniels is that you create you own program.  He gives you the quality and you add the rest (and can tailor it depending on mileage).

Damaris

DetroitTigerFan

Good morning !

I had a question on treadmill workouts - how do you guys use your GPS with heart rate monitor during that workout - do you just use it for capturing heart rate and interval time, upload those 2 things and then manually key in interval distances afterwords ?

thanks for your help !

cmb - congrats on your dh hitting sub 4

5K's - the discussion has been pretty interesting.  I always laugh since i've only run in one over 5 years ago. It was a local promotional thing for the city. Only 20 people showed up, so i'm thinking - oh my gosh - i'm going to be in last place !! lol  So we start and i ran fast simply for fear of this. I managed finding someone i could pace off of and followed that person the entire 3 miles.  I was so tired and out of breath at the end - but i was like in 15th place or something (so not in last) and today it still is a PR for me. I kind of wonder if i could beat it since it was many years ago Smile

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Ball of Fury

Dtf:  I don't use my Garmin for TM intervals.  I will occasionally check my HR using the TM handles, but that's about it.  I just manually enter the workout in my log.

Roll:  Nice tempo!  Excited you signed up for a 5K.  I think everyone Donut should run one before spring is over...except Cmb gets a pass (I guess...she could always crutch it!).

Cmb:  You know I am kidding about the 5K, I hope.  Congrats to your DH and good luck with your recovery.  Happy to see you still checking in!

Simon:  Nice streak of monthly mileage!

Flinders:  Nice double and good luck with the 5K this weekend...show CBus you can kick butt and not puke please!

Indy:  Nice intervals....idk how you run that fast with the hills.  I struggle just doing my tempos in my hilly area!

Josh:  Nice recovery run and very cool about the indoor track.  My gym has one but it's 20 laps for a mile so you really can't do an speedwork there.

Docket:  Nice 9-10!

Jedi:  Enjoy your taper.  At least the Daniels/Hanson taper is shorter so there isn't a whole lot of time for taper madness to set in!

Well, by the time I got home yesterday, I was working on 36 hours so I just went to bed around 4:30-5.  Got up this morning at 3:45 to do my tempo run, which immediately got amended to an easy 7 once I got outside!  One, it was snowing pretty steadily and although it wasn't super slick, it was wet/slick enough that I was afraid to go to fast in the dark.  Two, the wind was around 15 mph and half the time, the small icy snowflakes were pelting me in the face/eyes and I could barely see.  And three, my body just rebelled...it wasn't really tired legs so much as just a tired body overall.  So, I did my 7 easy (10:03/mile) and I will do my tempo run tomorrow.  Not a huge deal because I can just do easy miles Saturday and my long run Sunday so I don't have an SOS run back-to-back.  Run was kind-of enjoyable this morning except for the wind and snow pelting!  Hope you all have a great day!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

I had a question on treadmill workouts - how do you guys use your GPS with heart rate monitor during that workout - do you just use it for capturing heart rate and interval time, upload those 2 things and then manually key in interval distances afterwords ?

Actually I use my foot pod when I'm on the treadmill.  I know it isn't very accurate, but it gives me a ballpark idea of pace and distance and gives me intervals for heart rate data.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Flindrs/cbus - definitely similiar. Daniels big on the LR not being 25-30% of your weekly total and think that is where Hansons get that philosophy from. I think they are similiar that they both give you target paces to hit depending what you are doing. daniels just uses the VDOT formula. Cbus, this is where racing a 5k sets up your training paces correctly. All the different paces confusing at first with R, M, T,I, and E runs, but once you read book they become clear and more clear when you do workouts. I picked Daniels as I've had a lot of friends who have used it and have gotten good results from it and thought was perfect for improiving my fitness to help me when i went back to marathon. Not a HM plan per say, but his 5k-15k plan, but definitely feel ready for my HM as result. feel like my fitness has vastly improved just in 10-12 weeks with about 8 weeks yet to do in plan.

Doesn't Luke say in the book that the Hansons base their program off of the psysiologial research Daniels has done?  I have the Daniels book but haven't had time to read through it closely and think about the plans and their differences, but if the science underpinning both plans is Daniels' own research, then it stands to reason that there might be a lot of similarities.

Garmin came in the mail today, so I got to play with it.  I was happy that the battery came with a 40% charge right out of the box, so I was able to use it on my run this evening.  It will take some playing with so that it isn't just a expensive stopwatch, but one run in I like it so far. Smile

Doubled today.  4.5 at lunch @ 7:40. A bit fast, but it felt good all the way through.  And it didn't have any negative carryover effects to my run this evening.  8 easy @ 8:30.

Hi everyone!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

bagopux

Good morning !

Pretty much, although I'll punch the 'lap' button on the GPS during the workout to record the lap breaks according to the 'distance' display on the TM.  Sometimes I forget to hit the button on time, but whatever.

I have noticed that after a few minutes of searching for a satellite the GPS asks me if I'm indoors.  I respond 'Yes".  (You have to be honest with your technology.)  The GPS then seems to poll the HR monitor much less frequently and so the recorded data is kinda spaced out.  Does anybody else notice that?  Is there any way to fix that?  Or is the solution just to lie to my GPS (assuming I've accurately identified the cause of the issue)?

5.5 easy this morning at 10:20 per.  HR was much lower than usual.  Very casual and relaxing run.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Morning Donuts! Started my 10-day taper today with a easy 7+ miler. legs feel a bit beat-up today, so took it easy today. RD tomorrow and some HMP miles on Saturday on HM course. Picking up Daniels plan after HM again and deviating from it to get a couple focused HMP sharpening runs in before race. Might tweak some of the Daniels runs when i get back to plan to stretch them out a bit longer making them more HM focused.

cbus - workouts in Daniels not as structured as Hanson, but Daniels mixes up the intervals a lot and alternates tempos with steady state and cruise intervals.

Docket - that is what I like about Daniels too. Nice 9 miler!

Treadmills - I don't use GPS and just do my workout and just record overall time and mileage. Don't get caught up with what splits are since on the mill.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

mdawg87

Good morning!  6 easy TM miles and stretching at the gym this morning.  My soleus on both legs has been a little sore.  I'm putting that down to skiing and running over the past 5 days.  I'm hypersensitive to any little niggle now that I'm almost past this stupid calf micro tear.  I will ice and roll tonight just to be safe.  The marathon I was supposed to run is this weekend.  I'm super excited for the gal I was going to train with.  She's had a great training cycle and I think she's going to run well.  Hoping for a BQ for her on Sunday!

cmb:  Congrats to DH!  I hope you had fun even though you were on the sidelines.  Continuing to send positive recovery mojo your way.

Simon:  Good job on all the winter miles.  If I remember, you're in Canada, right?  You and Josh have some tough conditions to deal with.

cbus:  Alright...I'm throwing down the gauntlet.  I'll do a 5K when I'm fully healed.  I have to agree with Simon.  It's a good time trial and fitness indicator.  I haven't taken advantage of that tool and I need to.  You in?

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

bagopux

Treadmills - I don't use GPS and just do my workout and just record overall time and mileage. Don't get caught up with what splits are since on the mill.

I think there's an advantage to documenting splits on a TM:  Its a much more controlled environment than running on the streets.  I don't compare TM splits to outdoor splits.  I only compare them to other TM runs.  But since I don't run on the TM that often, its sometimes easier to see progress (or regression) by comparing similar TM runs.  Really, the only reason I run is to collect data. Wink

Smashy!!!

cbus:  Alright...I'm throwing down the gauntlet.  I'll do a 5K when I'm fully healed.  I have to agree with Simon.  It's a good time trial and fitness indicator.  I haven't taken advantage of that tool and I need to.  You in?

No.

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got 7 tempo miles on tap today. I'm gonna keep my wu/cd shorter again.

Seriously, as far as 5ks, I won't be doing any races until my April HM. I'm in week 12 of my training plan, and cumulative fatigue is setting in. Week 13 and 15 are beasts, and I feel I'll need all the cutting back I get during week 16-18 to be ready for this race. So, I don't want to throw everything out of whack by racing a 5k. Training for fall marathon begins somewhere in June. That gives me about a month, month and a half, to fit in a 5k. So, I promise, I'll say "No" to racing a 5k during that time too!!! Joking