Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2013 (Read 44 times)

Ball of Fury

Morning Donuts!  Yesterday was Cardio Recovery, which is stretching and strengthening yoga-ish stuff.  Today was Pure Cardio, which consists of an 11 minute "warm-up" which literally leaves you drenched in sweat and then 16 exercises for 1 minute each.  It sounds easy enough, but yeah, it's not!  It's pretty intense (In fact, my Shaun T. quote of the day is, "That shit is bananas, yo!".  I was pleasantly surprised I was able to make it all the way to the very last exercises before needing to take a break Tight lips.  We then did Cardio Abs for some core work.  In other news, I am cautiously optimistic that my hip/knee feel completely normal for the first time in months.  Yesterday, I had to run down the street to catch DD who was speeding away in her pink Barbie mustang (I swear she is the next Danica Patrick) and it felt really, really good.  So, maybe I have turned a corner.  Still not going to run for at least a couple weeks though.

Indy:  I really, really hope your MRI results in good news!

Docket:  Have fun in SF and good luck!!

Sprinkles:  Just go home, run, and then stuff your face Big grin

Onemile:  Happy to hear your running is getting back to normal.  I have no doubt you will be ready for Hanson's (starts July 1 right?)

CBus:  Nice tempo run!!

MDawg:  Great job with the marathon pace miles.  Pizza sounds yummy!

MA:  Nice 3.  I remember all too well that jiggly feeling after having my kiddos.  It usually lasts about 6 months or so.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

akalei

Morning all!  Got in an easy 5 this morning with pup in the rain... it was pretty refreshing, actually Smile  However, I'm going to need a 2nd cup of coffee today for sure.  5K tomorrow, followed by Brewersfest (45 breweries... yummm), and 15 on Sunday.  Should be interesting, but wouldn't be the first hungover long run I've done, unfortunately (hoping that's not the case though... lots of water!).

Docket: Enjoy SF!  I love that city!

Ami: I really think all the plyometrics in Insanity will give you the hip and leg strength your knee needs to overcome ITBS.  When I was in PT, that was the bulk of what they had me doing... and some quality time with a foam roller.  Man that hurt like a mother on my IT band knots!  Worked, though.

sprinkles: How are you still even at jury duty considering that you're a lawyer?  They should oust you quickly... you know too much! haha

Onemile: glad things are getting better!

Cbus, Mdawg, MA: nice runs Smile

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

.  Yesterday, I had to run down the street to catch DD who was speeding away in her pink Barbie mustang (I swear she is the next Danica Patrick) and it felt really, really good.  So, maybe I have turned a corner.  Still not going to run for at least a couple weeks though.

....... except to catch escapees Cool. Good news about the hip. Stay positive my friend.

akalei - I bet pup loved that. Mine always looks for a tree or a bush to hide under. and probably, eventually chew on - ha

Indi - do you have the MS150 series in your area? A two day bike race for all experience levels. I've thought about jumping into training for one immediately following my January marathon to help with transition into the "sprint triathlon" attempt in the next couple of years.

Mdawg - pizza night for Rollcast family is Friday nights followed by a movie and popcorn...and a run for me.

Onemile - seemless transition back to western "running" life.

Simon,RVD, Bags - Good mornin' gents!

CBus - firewood shouldn't just fall into your yard like that. Glad everyone is okay.

5.5 miles for me last night. The average pace was 8:20. I guess I am finally getting acclimated to the humid heat for the summer. The day before was a different story however. I went to my internal med Dr. for the annual EKG, chest XRay, and blood work. They took at least 4 large viles of blood, which I had to fast for. Afterward I had a terribly unhealthy lunch, like I haven't leaned #eatbadrunbad. I got home in the late afternoon and figured I would squeeze my run in early to free up the evening for the Blackhawk game. It had just finished raining and was hot out. Rain on hot concrete, low calories, and low on blood made for a dizzy run that ended after only 2.5 miles. Not cool . On the bright side, I am on day 18 of the RW challenge and still hanging in there.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

AmiK - I wish! I need to get that part under control

Akalei- Nope, still here - spent yesterday sitting around.

10 miles later today...hope it stops drizzling

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

mdawg87

Good morning!  4 easy miles earlier this morning.  Ready for another beach day which will be followed by a little more retail therapy this afternoon.

AmiK:  that's such good news!  Wise choice to hold back for a bit though.  I agree with Akalei, I think the plyo work has helped your recovery.

cbus:  I averaged 35-40 miles the first 4 weeks of Hansons.  Those were all easy runs except one tempo day per week.

Roll:  I thought about you when I got up Thursday morning and saw the Bruins/Hawks game had gone to 3 OTs.  Did you stay up for all of it?

onemile:  Oh, you'll be ready.  A couple of weeks to get back in the groove will be enough time.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Roll:  I thought about you when I got up Thursday morning and saw the Bruins/Hawks game had gone to 3 OTs.  Did you stay up for all of it?

I fell asleep next to my empty Guinness between 2 OT and 3 OT. Not drunk and passed out, just from the day I had.

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

onemile: I think that three weeks is enough to get back into the swing of things.  I usually found it takes three or four days per week I've taken off before I feel like I have gotten back to where I was.

indy:  I hope the MRI tells you what is wrong and that you'll know what you need to do to fix it.

Ami:  Glad your escapee gave you a chance to test out your hip and that everything seems like it is getting better.  I agree that I think the general strengthening that you are doing will go a long way to solving the issue.

cbus:  Glad the limb didn't do any damage. I'm looking forward to trying the Sayonara when it comes out.  Though I need to use up the four pair of shoes I have new in box in my closet before I could justify buying anything new...

mdawg: enjoy the beach!

Hi everyone else!

We escaped the brunt of the storms yesterday, though we had a couple of bouts of torrential rain.  But it made today beautiful.  I did 6.82 easy @ 8:32 this afternoon followed by some core/flexibility work.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

MA runner girl

Good afternoon! It's beautiful here today, the rain finally stopped. I got out this afternoon for 3 miles pushing the stroller. I felt really good about a half mile in so I picked up the pace a little. Ended up averaging 9:12, with splits of 9:18, 9:07, half mile @ 8:50 pace and the last half mile cool down @ 9:37 pace. I wish I had the first 2 half mile splits, it was probably about 9:30 pace first half mile and 9:10 second half. I was impressed with how easy it felt, especially pushing the stroller! Definitely my fastest stroller run to date. I guess, according to McMillan paces using my 5k time, that was a "steady state" run. Next week I'll try a few 800s.

Looking forward to a 6 mile run on Sunday, which will give me 15 miles for the week.

Ami - So glad you are feeling better! The jiggly feeling is mostly gone already for me. I'll attribute that to compression shorts, doubling up on sports bras and only having 5 pounds of baby weight left.

Roll - Nice streak! I tried streaking Jan 2012, made it 29 days before my body told me NO and I had to take the last 2 days off. Would like to try it again sometime.

Mdawg/Roll - I was SO glad I decided to go to bed at my normal 11pm when C went down, instead of watching the end of the game. Would have been up way too late.

Indiana - Good luck with the MRI.

Onemile - I'm sure you will be ready for marathon training. 10 miles at 8:41 pace is great!

Docket - Have a great vacation. And good luck!

Mdawg - Nice MP run, you have gotten speedy!

Sprinkles - I hear ya on the hair. I just cut mine because with pregnancy/prenatals it had grown ridiculously fast. I cut off about a foot, donated 10 inches, and it is just past my sholders now. It dries so much faster now.

Cbus - Yikes on the storm. We just got a lot of rain. Nice run out of it all though!

Flinders - Wow, I look forward to the day (if ever) that 8:32 pace is easy. Awesome run.

PRs: 5k - 21:22, half marathon - 1:39:43, marathon - 3:37:16

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I just put my running shoes on, after jury duty, got downstairs, and it is now POURING cats and dogs outside.

FML.

Tomorrow 10

Sunday 13

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Who's with me? Docket, lets do this!

Ball of Fury

Who's with me? Docket, lets do this!

Blech!!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

Did an easy 6 today.

Mdawg, I'm kinda doing 35-40 right now, and MRT is still a couple of weeks off. If I do Beginners, nothing will change for another four weeks, that means. I'm wondering if I should do Advance, just so that it is a step up? Any thoughts?

Onemile, I'd be interested in you take on my comment to Mdawg.

Anyone else, I'd be Interested in your take on my comment to Mdawg.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

Did an easy 6 today.

Mdawg, I'm kinda doing 35-40 right now, and MRT is still a couple of weeks off. If I do Beginners, nothing will change for another four weeks, that means. I'm wondering if I should do Advance, just so that it is a step up? Any thoughts?

Onemile, I'd be interested in you take on my comment to Mdawg.

Anyone else, I'd be Interested in your take on my comment to Mdawg.

I would spend the next few weeks getting to a consistent 6 days a week. What were you planning to use for GMP?  That might affect my answer.

Rusk Runner

Cbus -  I would be happier with more mileage than that, but that is me.  You know yourself pretty darn good, and you are also making good fitness gains lately.  So... if you think you cand talk yourself down should you feel yourself overtraining, I would say go with the advanced to start.  Worst thing that happens is you gain some fitness above the beginners level plan since the speed is up front and early in the advanced program.  Keep you 5K paces honest, and be careful with that.  Those higher pace runs are stressfull on your muscles and ligaments.  If you start questioning whether of not you think you can move into next week, it would probably be a good indicator to step down.

Roll - I know nothing area rides.  I look forward to being able to do a century ride at some point, and if it is organized, so much the better.  If I delve into the triathalon arena, I think I will just immediately jump into a half ironman.  Not that I would do good at it, but I would like to experience it.  My legs are gonna need to get alot stronger.

Spent a little time in the small pool with the kids today.  After that I changed out the stem on the bike and took it out for 18.25 miles.  Much better fit now, and I upped the pace just a tad.  Had a great ride.  I need to take a slow and easy ride tomorrow and if the weather holds for me I am thinking about doing 50 miles on Sunday.  I dont care if it rains, but a torrential downpour will keep me home.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

mdawg87

Cbus:  my experience last year of making too big a training program leap dictates the Beginner plan for me.  I want to make sure I get to the start line as healthy as possible.  I also know I'm not ready for a peak week of more than 55 miles yet.  Maybe in a cycle or two.  This is all specific to me, however.  My question to you would be what about the beginner plan makes you want to move to the advanced plan?  Is it just the first 4 weeks?  If so, I think the ramp up in quality work and mileage week 5 and forward will be enough effort for you.  Plus, you can add miles to the easy runs or extra miles to the w/u and c/d miles on quality days.  Again, this is me coming off injury so take it with a grain of salt.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)