Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

bagopux

I don't know anything about Run Faster, but if you're planning on using Hanson for the full, I would try their HM schedule to se ewhether you would like their philosophy.

I like their philosophy.  That's not the issue.  The question is whether I can handle 5-6 days of running, mentally and physically, all spring (for the halfs) and then through the summer (for the fulls).   And I think I might be jeopardizing the summer running by running the Hanson plan for basically ten moths straight.

Dreamn

Sprinkles - 10k is the most dreaded distance for me, yet I feel like it's the perfect racing distance.  It's the only distance where I've placed (1st in AG), but oh god, do I hate it lol.

Bago - I'm in the same boat.  I actually want to stick with one method, assuming that it goes well enough in the spring, and train for a spring half and then continue to use the same method/plan for my fall marathon, which would start in June/July.  I also like the flexibility of Hudson for the spring, but I for certain need a structured plan for a marathon or I simply won't get the necessary workouts in.  I'm still reading Hanson, so I'll have to decide after I finish that book.  I think I'm done reading about running for quite some time Big grin.

Did someone ask about professions?  I see I missed some posts again.

I would love some neon pink shoes!  My problem is that I like the wide toe box of men's shoes and I have big feet.  The wide shoes for women never come in cool colors.  Tall girl problems, I tell ya.

Rusk Runner

Bago - If you are questioning it now, chances are you will be questioning it later.  No plan is foolproof or matches the needs of individual runners, hence the Hudson philosophy of writing plans in pencil, not ink.  Im not quoting here, and I am strictly relying on memory, but Hansons recommends you stick to the program as closely as possible.  My rec to you is that you look at as many plans as possible, free ones if possible,and see what works for your halfs.  Heck, just looking at Hal Higdons advanced HM plan, I would say its good to go.  You are an experienced runner, and if you put in some miles and some speed, Its my opinion that you will improve your times.  I would be happy to copy and send you info on any plans that I have in my possesion.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

bagopux

BTW, it is some unwritten rule that to be a marathon guru your last name has to begin with "H" and be two syllables?  Hudson, Hanson, Higdon .... What are the odds, really?  Maybe that's where the Pfitz plan went off the rails.

Smashy!!!

Hey all, 

Got in 4 recovery (@ 10:50ish). The knee started to ache a little bit toward the end, so I'm not out of the woods yet. Did some yoga stretches last night, and boy, am I stiff! I'm really liking the lunges and the pigeon poses though. 

Sprinkles, I think you gotta get those pink shoes! And then you gotta hot-glue-gun some sequins onto them! Wink

Akalei, not a lawyer. But wanna wish you luck on your search. Are you trying to stay local or are you willing to move?

Indi, thanks for the pick-me-up. You might not be wrong about the fall (although Monumental, though cool, might be out of reach). 

Pux, being able to run 6 days a week is absolutely mandatory for the Hansons plan. And Indi is right: somewhere in the book, the author says that if you overlook even one workout, the whole thing goes kaput. But here's the thing: Hansons design their plan to make running 6 days a week manageable. They spread the miles out over the six days (hence the 16 mile LR) and they have you run them at manageable paces. This is why it is so important to stick to the paces they prescribe. Somewhere in the book, the author says that when you start the Speed workouts, you will think they are easy, but he warns you (I imagine him shaking his finger at the reader) that if you go faster than the prescribed paces, you will burnout too quickly and not be able to finish the program. It's about controlling your paces, throwing in easy stuff and recovery runs to keep you on your feet. If you are that worried about running 6 days a week, then I think you've got your answer. But why not try it for the spring Half and see if it is as tough as you imagine (the first 3 or 4 weeks of the half plan has got a lot of 3 milers to get you acclimated to the schedule). 

Simon and Ami, out of curiosity, how did you find us? I tried searching for our group using the search function, and we don't show up, unless you used the word "donut."

Josh, how did you get that map of RnR Vegas on the site? Did you map it yourself or import it?

PS: I'm really liking this website and our forum. So much better than RWOL. Has anyone checked out the Reports and Maps feature yet? 

PSS: I'm enjoying reading the bios on the Personal Introductions thread. You guys all have great personal stories. 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

BTW, it is some unwritten rule that to be a marathon guru your last name has to begin with "H" and be two syllables?  Hudson, Hanson, Higdon .... What are the odds, really?  Maybe that's where the Pfitz plan went off the rails.

LOL.

If you have never run 5-6 times a week for that long of a period, then maybe Run Faster is your best choice for the HM and then switch to Hudson for the full.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Cbus.  The Maps section is empty, no?  I wonder what does that do.

Damaris

Smashy!!!

Cbus.  The Maps section is empty, no?  I wonder what does that do.

Josh put up a map of RnR LV. Am I the only one who sees that?

Rusk Runner

I see it and I added to it as a test.  The whole mappping section is an awesome feature.

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

I see it and I added to it as a test.

I see your map Indi. Out of curiosity, are you drawing it up directly through the Maps feature or are you importing it from somewhere else? 

I thought this feature could be really useful to us. 1) We could use it to give each other idea of where we run; 2) We could post upcoming races and share strategies; and 3) If someone is traveling to an area, others who have been there could post maps of possible runs. 

bagopux

If you have never run 5-6 times a week for that long of a period....

I have, training for Richmond in '04.  My PR actually.  Go figure!  But that was 8 years and thousands of miles ago.  If its the case that missing runs here and there is that much of an issue under Hanson, then I think I'll need to pass.  Will probably buy Hudson's book and devise a plan of my own working off an existing plan, like Higdon Advanced Half.

Thanks again for all the input.  Hope others found it useful too.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oops.  I spoke before I checked.  From where do you add it, from your log?

Damaris

Trail Monster

Hey all! Lots of good convos going on do day! Sorry to post and run but I'm working second shift again. Managed to get some strength training in this morning. Half mile warm up jog, 3 x 10 front squats at 50 lbs., 10 lunges each leg at 10 lbs, 2 x 10 curls and bent over rows at 10 lbs., and form drills. Also, anxiously awaiting the January issue of RW. Apparently I'm on page 100! Smile

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Rusk Runner

In the training log section you can plot your own courses to find out distance and elevation.  You can custom make routes, etc.  I made the maps of my routes to show cbus the hills that I run as a normal part of my training.  Its a very cool feature on this site.

Just Run!!!

Ball of Fury

Sprinkles:  If you decide to buy the Pure Flows, I have a discount code for RW for additional 15% off!  I am considering trying either the Pure Flows or Kinvara's next but not sure.

Flinders:  Nice paces....I am really trying to slow down some of my runs but it is sometimes harder than just running, ya know?

Simon:  It got really cold here too....I was freezing when I went out this morning.

Jagfan:  Nice 9 miles.  I was super excited today that I got to run in daylight....very rare!

Damaris:  So glad your 5 miles went well and you are recovering from LV

Mdawg:  Nice TM run...I cannot get past 5 miles on that dreaded thing!  Good luck to your DH!!

Bago:  I really have no contributions to your dilemma because I am not as experienced as the others.  I do have Hudson's book and like the actual book and the philosophy of adapting your training program, but I am not experienced enough to be able to put that into practice.

Cbus:  Nice job with the yoga...it is much harder than it looks!!   I am pretty sure I found a plug for the group on the 4:00 thread?

Banshee:  Now I have to buy RW so I can see you page 100...awesome!  Nice workout this morning..I need to get back into more squats and lunges.  I can tell I am out of shape with strength training because any time I do it now, I am sore for days!

I didn't have to go into work until 11 this morning, so I was excited to run in the daylight and to fit in a longer run midweek!  I have tried to get in 10 a few mornings before work but its hard when you have to be in the OR by 6:30!  Anyway, my run started off just fantastic...one of those days where you feel like running is effortless!  I was running at a very easy effort and maintaining around 8:50/mile.  At mile 5, though, disaster struck in the form of severe gi distress (I know it might be TMI but it's real problem)!  It was almost a mile to the nearest restroom and I was literally running as fast as I could to get there.  Anyway, after that, I was totally out of the groove but figured I could maybe salvage another 3-4 miles (wanted to do 12 originally), but wouldn't you know it, about 1/2 mile down the road, I had to go again.  At that point, I just ran the mile home and said "forget it!"  So, total was around 7.2 miles at 8:50/mile.  I did do Ab Ripper X and 50 push-ups when I got home but I was really disappointed.  This is a common problem for me....in fact, I spent at least 10 minutes of my first 1/2 marathon in the porta-pottie.  I have tried eating differently, not eating, not drinking, drinking more, gels, no gels....nothing seems to help.  Anyone else have this problem or have any advice?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15