Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Canuck

Morning all.  Can't contribute much to the GI discussion, I apparently have an iron stomach, I can eat basically anything before or during a run and I don't have any issues.  I generally run in the evenings as well, which I think is less dangerous than the morning.  For race days, I make sure I get up at least 3 hours early so I have time to eat something and take care of business before heading out.   That's all I need.

Cbus - don't worry, you'll get better at the yoga!   The routine will seem easier once you do it a few times and your flexibility will increase.  If you haven't been doing regular hip stretching it's not surprising they are really inflexible at this point.

Half day at work today as we have our Holiday lunch at 1 pm.  Hoping I'll be able to get home by 4 and get out for a nice 12 mile MLR.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Ball of Fury

That's funny Damaris!  One of the guys on my OCR team started calling me that and it stuck!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

White Lightning

Cbus - Yoga is great.  I still can't get the courage up to go to a public class though.  Don't want to ruin it for everyone else.  I usually do it before bed, helps put me to sleep and always feel great when I wake up the next morning.  I bought a big 3/4 inch thick piece of 8'x4' laminate board that I put in my living room with a yoga mat that I use for stretching and yoga.

Simon - Pretty much all the reasons I picked Hansons over Pfitz.

Zoe - I know you recommend running Vancouver but have you ever run or heard anything about Victoria in October?

GI Issues - Taking meat and bad fats like cheese and butter out of my diet and adding a lot of fiber (I get 50-70g a day) have eliminated 95% of my GI issues.  Now a piece of bread and a cup of coffee and I'm good to go.  On my normal 5 mile loop I have the option of 4 porta-potty stops so I get that little bit of security.

QOTD - Treadmill running.  Do you find it harder, easier or about the same effort as running outside?  I find it more difficult to run the same paces.  Enough so that i'm constantly double and triple checking the calibration but sure enough its always dead on.

Me - 5 easy miles on the TM this morning @ 10:41.  Little tight in the hips but everything else felt good.  Good to be home back to a normal diet and routine.

Play the Game Hard!

bagopux

QOTD:  Definitely easier.  I can run about 30-40 seconds / mile faster on a TM as I can on a track at the same HR.

Dreamn

Treadmill running is definitely easier for me. I feel like I'm hardly working on the thing.  I usually have to set it to 6.8-7.2 (sometimes with an incline) to make me feel like I'm working.

Ball of Fury

Although I can run faster on a TM if I have to, I feel like it takes more effort for me to do so!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

I haven't run on a treadmill in a long time. But whenever I do, I feel like the machine runs for me, if that makes sense. 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

mdawg87

QOTD:  It's easier because it does help push you along a bit.  However, I've found that it helps with pacing on non-TM runs.  Since the pace is constant...even during intervals...that repetition helps ingrain what the leg turnover/pace should feel like.  At least, that's what it's done for me.  I run about 50/50 TM and outside.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Hi all.

I can't comment on the GI issues. I seem to have an iron stomach.  I typically don't eat anything before my am weekday runs, and for weekend runs I typically have a bowl of oatmeal before I go out.  No problems.  I don't really use nutrition on runs of less than 13-15 miles, and for stuff over that I'll take one at about the hour, or hour-thirty mark.

Zoe/Josh:  I'm thinking about Victoria for either this fall or next fall (I have a bunch of expiring frequent flyer miles (but not enough for an international trip), and I'm trying to find interesting places in the US/Canada to go to run a race to burn them).

Cbus/Indiana:  I started wearing Powerstep insoles in my regular shoes, starting yesterday (they arrived Weds pm), and so far I like them a lot; I feel that my pf is starting to fade, even with my keeping up with my shorter weekday runs.  I'll see how this goes and also see how wearing them in my running shoes will work.  So far, based on a small sample of two days, I think they'll help a lot.

3.6@ 9:01 for me at lunch today. 

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Hi All,

Flinders: I am an expert on remedies for PF, having tried virtually every single one. If I can help, let me know. What shoes are you wearing? What remedies have you tried and what are you thinking of trying. For me, stretching the calves is the key, which means the Strassburg Sock at night, and extensive stretching after running. I used to have stability shoes plus orthotics, and then switched to neutral plus orthotics, and that seems to have helped. Much of theproblem is that you will try several things simultaneously, and you are not sure what is doing some good and what is making it worse.  

Week 3 of recovery almost over for me. Ran recvoery pace (HR137) 6 on Tuesday, 5 on Wednesday and today had the right to do general aerobic of 7m incl 8 x 100m strides (AHR144) It was nice to get a little faster, and strides were the cherry on the icing! Didn't make it to the gym this week, that will be for next week, although I did do some core-training at home in the basement.

There is a 10-mile race on Sunday I am tempted to do, as its the last rate of the season. Not sure if I will run full out, our gently with a bit of tempo. We'll see.... I haven't really done anything other than recovery for it seems like an eternity now, so probably no point going all out, just run the first half easy, and the end at tempo.

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

Canuck

Josh, I haven't run Victoria but have heard good things about it. It's a fairly flat course and the weather is pretty reliable - it might rain but it is unlikely to be hot in early October. Treadmill feels harder to me, I rarely run on one.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

akalei

Evenin', donuts.

QOTD: It's funny that this question was posed today, because I ran on a treadmill for the first time in a while this evening.  Visiting my parents and it's pouring outside, has been all day.  Normally 5 on the TM would be awful--I usually refer to it as the "Dreadmill," but today, I was good.  My momma just put a mini-gym in her house, so maybe it helped that I was at home.  And I was watching man v. food, then CNN.  Exciting Friday evening, right?

So yep, did 5 today on the TM.  Did the last 2.5 miles at what would be my BQ pace or faster and felt pretty good.  Woohoo weekend!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Two-Foot:  I'm doing a bit of all of the above.  Started with just stretching.  Then added the sock when just stretching wasn't making much progress.  The sock and stretching got it to a "manageable" situation, where it would hurt when I got up in the morning, but once I warmed up, etc, it was fine.  However, it wasn't going away; it was more at stasis.  After my fall marathon, it started getting worse, flaring up more frequently and not going away during the day. I was finding that what seemed to cause flares was dress shoes, and the minimal padding and support that those entail.  And, dress shoes are de rigeur for me during the work week.  So this step is now to add orthotic insoles to the sock and stretching that I have been doing.  I wear Mizuno Wave Riders as my daily trainer.  I tried more control/stability in my shoes and it really hurt my feet and knees, so neutral is all I'm prepared to do in that regard. I'm also adding foot strengthening exercises to see if that helps, too.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning, donuts!  6 miles for me tonight.

QOTD, I run super fast and easier on the TM.  The fact that there is no heat and dewpoint as bad as outside helps.  Which is why I don't like training in it.  I ran a sub-2 hour HM there as a training run and I have not broken that outside.  Frustrates me.

Damaris

Many podiatrists will tell you to keep your old shoe when you get orthotics. I don't agree with this, either intuitively or from experience. If he orthotic is well made, you should only need neutral. Since I have switched to neutral, improvement in PF and no more knee / IT issues. My problems are limited to my ankles and below: PF is almost completely gone, AT has gone thanks to eccentric stretching, and I just have an issue with sesamoiditis now, but under control. I also believe core and strength training has helped me a lot. Working on abs, hip abductors and adductors, quad and hamstring machines but with very light weights, also clean jerks and lift and jerks with free weights is great exercise. When I transitioned from machines to free weights, it was quite amazing. With free weights, you need to use muscles to stabilize the body that you don't use on machines, and that is great for running.

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014