Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Ball of Fury

Nick,

Personally, I try to keep the same level of effort on the uphills, but not the same pace.  On downhills, I do speed up some but keep it controlled and usually try to change my stride a bit to more of a "butt kick."  As far as intervals, I usually do them on a TM or I have about a 0.5 mile stretch of road that is flat.  Other runs, like tempos, I just suck it up and use the hills.  I think I had almost 1000 feet of elevation gain on my 20-miler last weekend!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

Nick, I definitely think its worth setting up the workout in the Garmin. It's very easy. And yes, I had to convert it to miles, which is also easy. But once it's set up, it's good to go. The only issue I had was that I missed the alarm once because of loud background noise (was running by the reservoir), which resulted in a slow interval. 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

White Lightning

Banshee - I was the same but I started with 20 minutes, then 30, now about an hour is it before I lose interest.  Figure do something like that late at night before bed instead of watching TV can't but help my health.  Its one of those things for me that I dread starting it but get into it once I start and am glad I did it when I finished.  I use it as my strenght/core training as well as good stretching all in one.  I do it at home.

Play the Game Hard!

mdawg87

Nick:  i am the queen of hills in living in Atlanta.  I do speedwork either on the TM or at the track.  Like AmiK, I suck it up on the tempo/MP runs and run on the flattest terrain I can (i.e., avoid the worst hills).  Sometimes I have to do those as TM workouts as well due to work commitments.  I will say the hill work did help me on the flat race courses.  I just made sure I did some of the long runs at a park that is fairly flat...by Atlanta standards anyway.

Regarding running the hills...I will slow the pace a bit going uphill and pick it up a bit going downhill.  It evens out.  I just make sure to keep good form on both.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

all - will catch up tomorrow on reading posts but I need to get to bed for a 3:10 AM run.

Cbus - I wanted to get caught up at home and go through my logs on Garmin Training Center.  I have to tell you that I have my interval workouts set up for all of the Pfitz V02 workouts and I can look at all of the time and distance measurements for (including avg pace) for my total warmup, each interval, each rest, and total cooldown.  So YES it can be done.  Best I can tell you for now is to make sure you designate each interval as a sub-step and each rest period as a su-step.  Not sure if this makes sense, but it can be done.  If I get more time tomorrow, I will try to send you a copy of an interval set-up and a copy of my log which shows all of the data. 

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Hi all.  Quick driveby.  Rest day for me.

No basis for opinion about HRM straps.  Bandaids also seem to work for me on hot spots, though.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Smashy!!!

Banshee and Josh, I too am a recent yoga convert. It has helped me get over ITBS. I too do it at home. Look up "Esther Ekhart" on Youtube: she has great workouts (are they called workouts in yoga?). 

Indi, 3:10 because 3:00 would be CRAZY. Don't sweat the Garmin stuff. I don't use Connect. In fact I still keep my running log in a hand written notebook, so doing the math is fine with me. 

Flinders, let us know how the orthotic and PF have been working out. 

Canuck

Thanks for the HR chafing tips all. May have to try that dc rainmaker trick and see if it works. If it doesn't, may have to resort to duct tape. I've also used liquid bandaid in the past, but it seems to be hit or miss - sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

braycon

Wow! I found you guys again!  I missed this group.  When RW changed forums our work filter blocked the site.  Then my iPad keyboard broke (okay, I might have spilled diet Pepsi on it) and I hadn't been back on Rw til tonite.  Then I see you've moved.  :-)  Don't know if this site will be available at work, but I'll try to check in and keep up in the evenings.  I have no idea what's going on (well I did read damaris's Vegas report - that's a gutsy effort, D-Rocket.). I hope everyone is running and doing well.  Maybe Santa brings me a keyboard for this iPad and I'll actually be able to write a post in less than 20 minutes.  Sigh.  Peace!

Smashy!!!

Wow! I found you guys again!  I missed this group.  When RW changed forums our work filter blocked the site.  Then my iPad keyboard broke (okay, I might have spilled diet Pepsi on it) and I hadn't been back on Rw til tonite.  Then I see you've moved.  :-)  Don't know if this site will be available at work, but I'll try to check in and keep up in the evenings.  I have no idea what's going on (well I did read damaris's Vegas report - that's a gutsy effort, D-Rocket.). I hope everyone is running and doing well.  Maybe Santa brings me a keyboard for this iPad and I'll actually be able to write a post in less than 20 minutes.  Sigh.  Peace!

Bray, you made it! Glad to see you again brother. Hope training is going well (I.e better be running at easy pace!). 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Eeek, I didn't check the thread all afternoon and you fill up two pages!  WTG!

As to the HRM chafing, the only one that does not chafe for me is the HRM that is no longer sold at the running stores.  Is from Garmin but it's the other HRM less known.  I'll post a picture when I get home.

Another run tonight.  Last night was in the 80s and 75 dewpoint.  This is December!

Have a nice day!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oops.  Forgot to say that the doctor's visit went well.  92% breathing capacity with the smaller airwaves at 55%, still low there but a huge improvement from last month.

Damaris

Rusk Runner

Amik - I just alternate two pairs of Flows and have another pair set aside for racing.  Took awhile to get the calves used to the 4mm heel drop but now I really dont run well in more traditional shoes.  The Flows are the best of all worlds for me and I have to go by the "if it aint broke...." method.

Regarding hills, I try to maintain my goal pace for the most part.  I will often lose up to ten seconds depending on the hill and where I am at in the run, but I will make it up if needed on the downhill side.  Speed control on the downhill for me means smaller steps, and more often.  Either way, if the hill is steep it is going to pound your quads no matter what you do.  I try to do intervals on a portion of my route that is less hilly and just deal with it.

Welcome back, Braycon!  Glad you found us.  I hope somebody sees Snowsuz someday.

8 miles starting @ 3:12 AM @ 8:56 pace.  Avg HR <76% MHRR.  29deg and clear out.  I dressed a little too warm but it was a pleasantly easy run.  Recovered with a smoothie and banana and then it was off to work.  Get to do another early morning run on Thursday.

Just Run!!!

Ball of Fury

Braycon:  Welcome!  I am new to the group but really enjoy it so far!

Damaris:  Again, congrats on the great MD visit!

Jag:  Thanks!  I did my 2nd run in the them this morning, and while I still love them, I did have some calf tightness and some pulling on my hamstring.  Nothing terrible just uncomfortable.  So, I am trying to decide if I should get a second pair and just keep going or should I just get a pair of neutral more traditional shoes for the next couple months to alternate with the PF.  If we didn't have the marathon in a month (eek!!), I would just go with the PF, but I don't want to injure myself or make my training more difficult this close to race day!  And seriously, 3:15...I thought 4 was early!!

6 easy miles at 9:45/mile this AM!  It was 32, but said it felt like 24 outside but I was pretty comfortable with thermal tights and 2 layers on top.  It was a nice run, but just had lots of aches and pain this morning.  Nothing horrible, but some knee pain, hip pain, calf tightness, and hamstring tightness....lol!  I am not sure if it was related to the shoes or is just normal aches and pains of training.  Any thoughts on my shoe dilemma?  Have a great day donuts!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Rusk Runner

Amik- When I first started with the PF's I only used them on one or two longer runs per week and did the other runs in ghosts (about an 8mm difference in drop).  Getting used to the heel drop is not the easiest thing to do.  With your race so close up, I would be careful with how much experimentation you do with shoes.  Im not sure I would have made a change until after the race.  Blisters can be prevented, but I am not sure you can condition your calves/achilles or for that matter your entire kinetic chain, that fast.

Just Run!!!