Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

What I mean to say is that Hansons has alot of higher paced work that I would like to nail spot on.  Too much higher paced work has tweaked muscles and other stuff for me in the past.  Two quality workouts per week, 6 days of running, less taper period, seems like alot more work to me than Pfitz.  I can, and have, tweaked Pfitz to meet my needs.  Hansons recs that you nail it as close to what is prescribed as possible for success.

Josh, are you talking Hansons advanced or beginner?  If it works for you and meets your schedule and abilities, I say go for it.  I am speaking from a personal point of view when I say that there is just a tad more speed work than I am willing to contend with right now.  But remember too, that I am shooting for a GMP of 8:10 to 8:15.  Heck, I dont even know if I am going to pull it off with Pfitz.

These are the same concerns I have with respect to Hudson.  You would need to hit the workout almost to the letter to maximize your results.  That is very hard to do.

Damaris

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Flinders, I know my question is kind of vague. You answered it, pretty much. I guess I'm wondering what is easier, the volume to train for a marathon, which doesn't require a lot of high quality paces. Or a half, which has less volume but more high quality. The same goes for the race. A longer race at lower speed, or shorter speed at higher pace (somewhere in this convoluted sentence is a QOTD). 

Ami:  Sorry to hear the ITB flared up.  I'd stick with the 16 you have scheduled for next week, and then go into your taper.  There is a "Science of the Long Run" thread over in the General Running forum that is interesting if you haven't already read it; it brought some of the very experienced runners on RA out into the open to discuss the benefits/drawbacks of LRs in general.

Cbus:  I think my personal view would be that the volume is easier.  I tend not to react well to speedwork, at least in my limited experience.  Also, I only trained specifically for a half once -- last winter -- and I didn't follow a plan or do any work other than volume, so I can't speak to the type of workouts needed to ace a half (or shorter race).  I typically train for the marathon and let the residual fitness gains from that drop my other times.  But take everything I say with a grain of salt; I haven't yet completed a full marathon training plan as written (or close to it) -- I've hurt myself doing stupid, non-running things that have derailed me each time.

Docket:  Nice race!  And I hope the migraine is better!

I had 35 for the week, or thereabouts. 

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Ami- I never once ran 20 miles in training- I maxed out at 18.  You'll be totally fine!

RE: plans...I couldn't ever get as specific as Hansons/Hudson in terms of their workouts- even Pfitz scares the crap out of me.  I am thinking I need another cycle of HIgdon first Smile

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

Flinders, thanks for that response. I'm thinking the easy miles will be easier on me too. Strange as it sounds, a marathon might be easier to train for than a half-marathon. 

Re Hansons v Pfitz, part of the complication is that I did that last Speed workout at a goal HMP. But if I did them at GMP, and at the slower end at that, then fasted workout will be at HMP, and only 5 workouts (in Beginners), for a total of 15 miles. After that, the Strength workouts are done at 8:36 (GMP - :10). And of course the Tempos are at MP. If I did Pfitz, I'd be doing 3 workouts at HMP or faster in the first six weeks, for a total of 12 miles. The five weeks has 18 more miles at HMP. And of course there is that faster speed stuff at the end which are even faster. So as far as fast paced stuff, I'm definitely more weary of Pfitz than Hansons. As far as distance per run, again I'm more weary of Pfitz. The only advantage I see in Pfitz are the extra days off he gives you. But quite frankly I think I'll need it! But then he has these really intense GMP workouts. 18 in the first mesocycle, both within the LR. Another 12 within a 16 LR. And then that 14 within an 18 LR five weeks before goal race. Those scare me. Even though the Hansons give you regular work, I still think spreading out that work over 6 days makes it easier. Even though there are two regular workouts a week, the speeds are not as fast as Pfitz prescribes. So again, I'm thinking there is regular work but the speeds are only moderately fast. 

So, I think I'm gonna scrap the spring half. If I do run it, I'm not gonna train specifically for it. I'm gonna try to run my regular mileage and throw in a faster workout here or there, if my body can handle it. And then I'm gonna try to do Hansons Beginners for a fall race. In the meantime, I'm gonna try to get right physically. 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

bagopux

Ran 5 straight days (without injury) ending today, something I hadn't done since, oh, 2006.

Wed: 8 miles hill training

Thu: 4 miles recovery (treadmill)

Fri: 12 miles w/ fast finish

Sat: 6 miles w/ fast finish

Sun: 10k progressive HR

I'm not going to go from 4 days / week to 5 days in a row consistently.  Just experimenting with some things for the next training cycle.  Proof of concept.

Also, still going through Hudson's book.  Kinda like his approach.  Looking forward to setting up the training program for a spring HM.

Docket, nice to hear you able to run a race with no albuterol. Hope that continues. Curious, whats the draw of the BF, if you have to deal with idiots? I guess the friends you have there are worth it?

Sra, also surprised that your marathoning history is so short, especially considering your marathon maniac status.

Indiana, that is an interesting thought on doing Pfitz because you think that the Hanson's plan might be too much running at faster paces. I was thinking that the 6 days of running instead of 5 and the 16 mile LR would mean shorter average runs and less likelihood of injury. Maybe that isn't the case.

Cbus, do you have an old copy of the Pfitz book?

Hope everyone is able to beat their ITBS issues!

I missed Thursdays run, did 4 yesterday and 10 today for a total of 35 miles. Hoping to be in the 40's this week.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Docket, nice to hear you able to run a race with no albuterol. Hope that continues. Curious, whats the draw of the BF, if you have to deal with idiots? I guess the friends you have there are worth it?

Sra, also surprised that your marathoning history is so short, especially considering your marathon maniac status.

Indiana, that is an interesting thought on doing Pfitz because you think that the Hanson's plan might be too much running at faster paces. I was thinking that the 6 days of running instead of 5 and the 16 mile LR would mean shorter average runs and less likelihood of injury. Maybe that isn't the case.

Cbus, do you have an old copy of the Pfitz book?

Hope everyone is able to beat their ITBS issues!

I missed Thursdays run, did 4 yesterday and 10 today for a total of 35 miles. Hoping to be in the 40's this week.

Yes, except most of them are in FB already, so after moving to RA, I have seen myself posting less and less.  There is no abandoning them, as I am the owner of the user group, doh.  But yes, I agree with your point.

I missed 11 miles this week.  Between the migraines and the nausea, I only ran 49 miles.  However, counting a PR, so it was a good week otherwise.

Damaris

Trail Monster

Hey all! 

Sorry about the ITB Cbus! Hooe it clears up for a great fall marathon.

Congrats to Slymoon on his first marathon! Sorry it sucked but I'm proof that a crappy first only leads to big PR's!

no running for me after doing my LR yesterday. I'll head to CrossFit later for some rowing and easy strength. Have a great Monday all!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Rusk Runner

Did I miss an RR?

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

sramaley

NND - my first marathon was on a whim April 2011. I was originally planning to do the HM and switched at the expo, figuring, why not. From that race to March 2012, I ran 4 marathons and a 50K. The maniac piece was related to a redemption race I did after the 50K. I was not happy with the result so I ran a marathon 2 weeks after it. 2 in 14 days is the first level of qualification. This year I want to do a double if possible and go from one star to four stars. Also - I run the races by myself most of the time, so it was to meet more people and have fun during the race being able to talk to other maniacs.

Spin today. Have a great day donuts.

Ball of Fury

Jag: Nice marathon pace run!  And thanks for the advice...you guys are probably right and I should just do 16.

CBus:  Thank you so much for the ITBS infection!!  I am glad you had a nice run with no ITB issues...I am going to hope for the same tomorrow.

Josh:  Sorry you are having troubles too, but glad you were able to finish your run!

Docket:  Sorry to hear about your migraine...that sucks!  Again, great job on your PR.

Flinders:  Thanks for the thread...I will definitely check it out.

Sprinkles:  Thanks for the encouragement.  I did get in one 20-miler 2 weeks ago and hopefully it will be enough!

Bago:  Nice job running 5 days in a row!

Nick:  Nice weekly  mileage!

Banshee:  Nice job on the 15 and your Crossfit workout.  DH and I have decided to finally bite the bullet and sign up for Crossfit at our gym...$270/month...ouch!!!

SRD for me today!  My legs feel pretty good this morning, but ITB is still tight and my right knee hurts when I go up and down the stairs....this must go away soon!  Have a great day donuts!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

indiana, which RR?  Slymoon?  He posted one, I think it was here (unless it's somewhere in the forums).

Damaris

Smashy!!!

Hey everyone,

Gonna get some miles in today. Not sure how much. But I'll make them easy. Made an appointment to see the chiro this Wed. It took me a while, but I finally found someone who specializes in Graston, ART, and sports injury. I'm feeling optimistic. If this doesn't work, then I'll send Sprinkles a bill for my copay!!! (But if it does work, I'l send Sprinkles some flowers, or something...) 

Sly, tough race! Way to stick to it. I've come to realize that marathoning is a lot like Jedi training. Remember what Obi Wan said to Darth Vader when they faced off: "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine." The marathon is like Vader and the marathoner is like Obi Wan...

Nick, I've read the most recent edition, and the plans I have are from the most recent edition. Why? Does something not check out?

Pux, nice week! 

Banshee, enjoy crossfit tonight. 

Ami, hope that knee gets better soon! 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Cbus, no, nothing that I noticed about the Pfitz version. Indiana just mentioned that he thought that there was enough recovery between Pfitz's tougher workouts, and that he thought you might have an older version of his book. I was just curious if that was the case. Although I remember reading somewhere actually that part of the Hanson's philosophy was that some other plans did have too much rest, and as a result you might feel fresher and therefore run harder than you should at that point leading to an increase in injury risk. I think the thought there was that it takes tendons. ligaments, etc, longer to recover than you realize and as a result if you run faster than you should sooner than you should that you may hurt yourself. By keeping yourself somewhat fatigued, you would not be tempted to run harder than prescribed. 

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Rusk Runner

I think I missed slymoons report.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!