Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

Rusk Runner

Docket - If you read alot about natural running ie "chi running", "pose method", etc... I would say yes, there has been study done.  Of course there are folks who agree and disagree that 180 steps per minute cadence is ideal or not, or if there is any creedance to shortening your stride at all.  IMO the proof is how you feel when you run (and after you run for that matter).  Personally, I avoid reaching forward and heel crashing at all costs.  It has made running alot easier for me and I have less healing to do post run.

Josh -  When you say 80 to 90 spm you are talking about 1 foot, right?

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

White Lightning

Docket - If you read alot about natural running ie "chi running", "pose method", etc... I would say yes, there has been study done.  Of course there are folks who agree and disagree that 180 steps per minute cadence is ideal or not, or if there is any creedance to shortening your stride at all.  IMO the proof is how you feel when you run (and after you run for that matter).  Personally, I avoid reaching forward and heel crashing at all costs.  It has made running alot easier for me and I have less healing to do post run.

Josh -  When you say 80 to 90 spm you are talking about 1 foot, right?

Indi yeah, garmin measures just the one foot.

Play the Game Hard!

White Lightning

Finally took the plunge and headed out into the cold for my first outdoor run post marathon.  As long as the suns out and its not windy it can be pretty pleasant.   So 6 easy miles @ 10:18.  All this stride talk I ignored my cadence and focused on landing my feet directly underneath.   Will see how this goes.  ITB was not an issue but my ankle still a bit sore.

Anyone who is trying to track and watch their weight, I was able to setup a weight graph in the training section, check it out if you like

Play the Game Hard!

sramaley

Hey Donuts. Sorry to hear on all the ITB issues. Get well.

Ouch mdawg. Been there. I have had to call my DW to come pick me up on a run when that happened.

3 miles on the TM at lunch.

Nice convo on the ITB and stride. Makes sense.

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Hi all.

I realized I had run 7 days in a row, so I decided to make today a rest day.

mdawg:  Hope you heal up quickly!  I haven't had an injury like that on a run, but I did bonk hard on a LR during my first marathon cycle and had a death march for three miles to get home.  From that experience I learned that a day-before-a-LR diet of solely beer and cookies is not optimal for running performance.

Docket:  glad the kitty is ok!

cmb, josh, paula and all of you who run in the cold and snow, more power to you.  Winter weather and I don't really get along, though I'm sure I'd get used to it if I had to.

I can't comment on crossfit.  I haven't tried it.  My gym is cheap, but it has a pool, which is a selling point for me, and I live a couple blocks from a city aquatic center, so I can swim for free if I don't want to trek to the gym (gym is near work because 9 times out of 10 I use it in the evenings during the week.

Hope all of your ITB issues heal up.  My PF is better, but lots of running days in a row make it stiffen up a bit.  The rest day was prompted more by my quads being a bit sore from the increased mileage.  That hasn't happened in a long while.

Hi everyone else!

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Hi donuts!

Indi great dedication to get up so early, I'm impressed.

Glad you got Sammy back, scary thing to happen.

Josh, you really seem to be a detail oriented guy- I am the opposite, don't worry about my cadence or heart rate, just weigh myself on bathroom scales most days. I would like to lose 6-8lbs by the end of April.

Flinders, you deserve a rest after 7 days of running!

Ran 8k easy today followed by a 5k tempo in 23:41. I suppose I had a rolling start on the tempo, so should add a couple of seconds, but big deal! Being Canadian I think in metric, and run at metric paces. It really helps to feel fast when you run at 5:30 pace, even though its only 8:51/mile!

My nieces do x-fit, and seem to enjoy it a lot, some aspects make sense to me, others I am not so sure about.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  I ended up taking a URD.  Long day at the office and guess what is sore?  Yeap, the ITB.  So, stop this DONUT CURSE!  LOL.

Anyway, I felt it's better to let me rest from race a bit more and just take the day off.  Besides, it's almost time to cook dinner and I just got home.

indiana, I've never read Chi Running but I've heard about it.  I guess it's time for me to buy it.  I also find that when I work on my stride and posture, my asthma and HR do better, so it's worth the research.

Now, I'll be back tomorrow.  DH is opening beers for us.  Behave!

Damaris

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I just checked my cadence between a 5k and the post and pre training runs.

Pre 5k training

speedwork = 93-94

average run = 88-90

long run = 88-93

Race

5k = 92-94

Post 5k training

recovery = 86-88

long run = 88-90

So it appears that my speedwork is pacing with my 5k race cadence. My post run recovery is a little slower, but only slightly.

Yes, my cadence is 1 foot also.

Two items I will add:
                  1. If I start reaching and lengthen my stride I heel strike like mad and it is not comfortable.

2. When my cadence hits 80 or below I feel heavy and sluggish. Almost like I am planting my feet at each strike.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Work on the ITB!

BTW anyone know if that newfangled frozen rolling bar is worth a damn? It is certainly costly enough.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't understand what the frozen whatever is, but my ITB soreness is from the hilly race on Sunday.

Question: do you guys measure your cadence with the footpod?  I used to have an issue with it in that if the footpod was attached, the Garmin would not count the satellites but rather measured distance by cadence. I don't want that either.  Any tips to properly set it up?

Damaris

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

This thing:
                        http://tptherapy.com/shop/all-tppt-products/cold-roller.html

Edit:
                        I am an iPhone gimp, no garmin yet.  I use the iSmoothrun app, and it seems to do a fairly decent job on counting cadence as well as gps etc. (I have counted my cadence manually to second check.)

No idea how to set anything up for the garmin or nike.

White Lightning

I don't understand what the frozen whatever is, but my ITB soreness is from the hilly race on Sunday.

Question: do you guys measure your cadence with the footpod?  I used to have an issue with it in that if the footpod was attached, the Garmin would not count the satellites but rather measured distance by cadence. I don't want that either.  Any tips to properly set it up?

You have the 910 right?  On the foot pod calibration screen under run settings, make sure speed source is set to GPS

Play the Game Hard!

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 6 yesterday and 4 today. That makes 7 days in a row, but I figure I'll have to take the next couple of days off, so I put in some work in today. 

Mdawg, that sucks. It's the same injury that derailed you in Chicago isn't? Thats a damn nag of an injury. Have you considered having someone look at?

Akalei, glad to see you back on the horse!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Trail Monster

I'm late to the game today. I did 8 this morning with 6 at steady state for a 9:49 average. Happy with that! Have a good night y'all!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You have the 910 right?  On the foot pod calibration screen under run settings, make sure speed source is set to GPS

Thanks, I'll try to use it tomorrow and let you know.  Thanks for the help!

Damaris