Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

akalei

Morning, donuts!

Hoping for 6 mi outside before the rain comes this afternoon.  6 on the treadmill sure would suck!

I agree with the neutral shoe conversation that seems to be unanimous.  I was running in Ravenna's (rookie mistake) when my ITBS set in.  Granted, given the way I hyperextended my knee and ran on my heels, I was a ticking timebomb, I think that was the straw that broke the camel's back.  I had been running in Ghost 3, then Ghost 4, before that, and should have stuck with them.  Nowadays, everyone knows how much I love the PureFlows.  Although have you seen the preview of the PureFlow2?  Not a fan, appearance-wise.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Rusk Runner

I like the looks of the flow 2 over the originals.  Cant wait to get my feet in a pair.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Hey all, 

Got in 8.26 today @ 9:51. Got rained on a little bit in the end, but nothing too bad. I'm hoping it snows tonight. I love running in snow. The good news is, no ITBS today. The only pain I feel is on the right side, and I think that's from the Graston. He took a tool that looked like a old fashion can opener and went underneath the IT Band, and that hurts as much as ITBS itself. so, right now I feel pain, but I can't tell if its residual from the treatment or ITBS. I'm gonna ice it tonight, and see if I can't get the inflammation from the treatment to calm down. So, the jury is still out, but 8 miles pain free--things are looking up. 

Ami, yikes. What happened to the toe nail? Are you in the correct sized shoe? 

Mdawg, glad to hear the calf is coming around. 

Roll and Indi, I'd recommend getting Graston, if you are curious--but I like you guys. 

Sprink, How are you able to get on the TM with Homebody around? 

Good miles everyone! 

Regarding gait analyses, etc.: gait analyses, slow mo replays, etc. etc...all of that stuff is only as good as the PERSON doing the analysis. If that person doesn't know squat, or puts anyone who exhibits pronation into motion control shoes, then it's all null and void. 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Flow 2 is supposed to be more breathable, which was the major complaint against the original. 

Roll and Indi, I'd recommend getting Graston, if you are curious--but I like you guys. 

this made me laugh. Almost spit my donut out.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Trail Monster

Hey all! Sorry I've been MIA. I've had a bad couple days but I am lurking and keeping up with you all. Going to try to get back to posting daily again now. 

Ran 7.5 at 9:44 average today. This was 1.5 mile warm up, 5/4/3/2/1/2/3/4/5 minutes hard with 2 minutes recovery between, 1 mile cool down.  Felt kind of rough. Glad next week is a cutback.

Im no shoe expert. I ran in Asics GT series then moved into Saucony Triumphs and now I'm also incorporating Altra shoes. I love cushioning but I don't like a big drop. That's the extent of my shoe experimentation really.

QOTD: how do you deal with training hunger? I'm on track to hit 50 miles or so this week which is higher than I've ever really run without a marathon or ultra to pad my total. I find I'm ravenous morning, noon and night. I'm trying really hard to be disciplined and eat healthy foods and only moderate portions but I still feel like I'm starving. My weight is pretty steady, maybe 1-2 pounds down but I have more to spare anyway.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

bagopux

Woohoo! A new marathon is coming to town.  Rock n Roll Raleigh will start in April 2014.  We will be the 27th RnR in the States.

Some might look down on the RnR.  But our local marathons have done pretty poorly at logistics and marketing.  So I'm hoping this will grow our local scene beyond what our local races have been able to do.  Rock n Roll Savannah drew far more people in its first year (this past year) than any of our local races have ever drawn.

Of course, people are starting to grumble already about closed roads and whatnot.  Sorry, people, but city life is not inconvenience-free, unless its character- and entertainment-free as well.

Rusk Runner

Banshee - I am half asian so I am biased.  I eat rice or noodles with everything when I am running over 50 miles.    You can do this in a healthy way by using brown rice, buckwheat noodles, etc...  I consider a big plate of rice and sauteed spinach a snack.  Add some salmon and its a meal. 

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Banshee, first, great workout. Second, regarding the QOTD, I'm not a good one to ask, since I just feed the beast. Lately, I've been trying to be better, since I haven't been running as much and have put on a few pounds from all the holiday/bday junk foot. But I still have the occasional late night snack. When I was at the peak of MRT, and ravenous all the time, I broke up my meals, which I found helped. So I had a small breakfast (my least hungry time of the day), and then a small midmorning snack, usually a almond butter and jelly sandwich. Then a small lunch, and dinner.

mdawg87

Confess!  You sent donuts to yourself! Big grin

Good one!  There are people in my office who would probably do this...

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

CBus:  I have no idea why it fell off...it surprised me!  Doesn't hurt at all though.  I feel like my shoes are the right size...I wear a 7.5 in normal shoes and both pair I am running in right now are 8.5.  I do have wide feet but try to choose shoes that have a wide toe box.  

Banshee:  I eat 5 miles a day, pretty much every day so it usually keeps me from being too hungry in between.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Banshee:  I eat 5 miles a day,

that is way better than a foot long. Eating five miles a day tops and noodle i have ever seen..... Big grin

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I eat 5 miles a day?  Sheesh.  I've never eaten them.  I'm a vegetarian!

Damaris

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Cbus/Nachos - I rely on Graston to get me through soreness and adhesions in my legs. I had no luck with Pt because I am strong already, so my ITBS and other issues (calves) came from repetitive motion and adhesions/knots in my legs, not from any type of weakness. I used to go weekly, then every-other week, then once a month, and now when things are tight and I can't seem to work the knots out on my own. Akalei- I don't love the new Pureflow2s. I ordered the Pureflow #1s in 3 colors for $70 each at Running Warehouse so that I could avoid the new ones - also, pink is my least favorite color ever, so I didn't want them in that color...but I like bright colors, so I didn't want the boring alternative either. Cbus- Homebody? My dog? Not sure what your question is- I just get on the TM when its dark outside! Today- 5 miles, so 16 for the week so far. Pretty tired- double Soulcycle (90 min) tomorrow morning.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

Sprinkles, I was referring to that person in your building who is always hogging the TM, gripping the rails. Ring a bell?