Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

akalei

Hey donuts!  I've been out of the loop for a few days... started reading to catch up but I still have 2 pages to go.  But all this talk of food (especially quinoa... yum!) is making me hungry.  I'm making some chicken noodle soup right now, and I'm extra proud of this batch because I made the broth myself after I cooked a whole chicken in the crockpot a few weeks back.  Also putting in whole wheat noodles (bago!)... I'm a fan of the bionaturae organics line.

DH and I did 10 today in 1:27... I felt nauseous after because we went to Troegs brewery last night and I had one Mad Elf too many.  If you've never had Mad Elf and you have access to Troegs beer, I highly recommend it.  It's like Christmas in a glass!

I'm all for recipe sharing, too.

Everything else, I'll catch up this evening after dinner!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

White Lightning

Indi - your not being rude, your opinions are very respected over here.  The more experience i'm getting, the more i'm understanding exactly what you are saying.  I've been a HR runner because I had no idea of my fitness level, how hard to go or slow down by feeling, etc...  But times are changing.  I'm much more confident in my pacing.  I look at my watch less and less.

And trust me, I know I shouldn't have worn a new shirt but i'd lost so much weight I needed a new one (went from size XL to M) and running gear is SOOOO expensive up here, i bought one when I got down there, along with new shorts, socks, etc...

Play the Game Hard!

Hi all, and seasons greetings!

Ami, I think we would be able to give you better advice if we could see your log; this would give us an idea of your current paces for training runs of different distances, how recent your PRs are and so on- all together at one time.

Your half time seems to indicate a significant fade compared with the 5k and 10k times, was it a hilly course, hot day, did you get an injury, were you undertrained?

I am not sure  how your training has been going but most of the work is done now, perhaps your long run will tell the tale.

Twofoot, I would agree with the suggestion to reduce the mileage for the week before the half, maybe take off two days completely before race day, the seven weeks afterwards should give lots of time to recover before the marathon.

Banshee, VF and Indi- nice mileage you guys are running, I'm impressed.

About 11.3  in rolling hills today, 8:48 pace. Tired...

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Happy Holidays everyone - things have been crazy around here and I haven't had time to update

This week's training ended today with a 10  miler, bringing me to 33 for the week.  I'll be running 6 tomorrow and taking a rest day on Christmas Day (which is also the anniversary of my first-ever half marathon).

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Rusk Runner

Josh - If all I had were XLs and I wore an M, I would have bought a new shirt too.  Congrats  on your wardrobe change.  I bitched and moaned about having to buy new clothes for work two times due to my reducing waistline.  Truth be told, ever time I bought a new set of pants and shirts I was celebrating.

Sprinkles - Happy aniversary!

I would like to take this opportunity to wish a very Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Holiday, to each and every one of this very special crowd here.  This has been more than a place to talk about running.  You are all an inspiration to me every day, and I look forward to another year of training and racing with you all.

I hope to run my scheduled mileage tomorrow morning before the kids get up to open presents.  It will be my own selfish little gift to myself to get out and run under the stars on Christmas morning.  My second Christmas as a runner.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Ball of Fury

Merry Christmas Eve Donuts!  Hope you are enjoying the festivities...I am working a 24 hour shift today, but what can you do...someone has to do it, right?  If it's ok, I am going to do personals and talk about my run yesterday and then I will make a separate post about my training and asking for pace advice!

Banshee:  Your 17 sounds like a really nice run yesterday!

Damaris:  Glad to hear your knee is ok, but sorry about the DOMS.  Hope you are feeling better.

Veg:  Hope you enjoyed your nice scenic 14...isn't it nice to have a change in scenery every once in a while.

Dawg:  Sounds like you had a nice elliptical workout and your calf is coming alone.  Hopefully, you will be back out there in no time.  We have now done 2 of our long runs and 1 marathon pace run on flat trails, so hopefully, that will help on race day.  It does feel much easier to run on flat ground, I just have to keep reminding myself to go....lol!

Indy:  Nice 14.6 yesterday...I had to run back home after 2 miles yesterday and change clothes because I was burning up!  Merry Christmas to you as well....I am so glad I found this group!

CBus:  Nice 8 but sorry you are feeling ill...we have a bug at our house too..ugh!  I will go into detail about my training/pr's down below.

Josh:  Yes, I would also have purchased a new shirt on race day so can't blame you there!

Akalei:  That chicken noodle soup sounds awesome...could you bring some to our house?

Simon:  Nice 11 with hills!  I sincerely hope my long run from this weekend doesn't tell the tale, because as you will read below, it DID not go well!  I haven't had my Garmin very long (less than a month), and I haven't set it up to download my data on here yet...so yeah, I don't have a log!  Definitely going to do that for my next training cycle though!

Sprinkles:  Nice weekly mileage and Happy Runniversary!

I am not even sure what to say about my run yesterday....it was just a complete disaster and possibly the worst run I have ever had.  My legs felt ok, really, it was just everything else.  I just had no energy, and I felt like I couldn't breathe.  DD has had a cold for a couple days and I am now coming down with it, so I am sure that didn't help, but to be honest, I think it was more a mental thing.  I just felt like crap and I couldn't make myself push through, which is usually not a problem for me.  I ended up making it 14.1 miles and going home...average pace 9:40.  I can't even really describe why the run was so hard and it sucks that it was my last long run before the taper, but it's in the past and now I have to suck it up and move on, right?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Ball of Fury

So here is my marathon pace advice post!  Thank you all in advance!

Shorter distance races:  10K 48:42 on Thanksgiving Day

1/2 1:51:15 November 11

Something you should know about me is that I have a terrible tendency to go out too fast and then blow-up.  For example, in my very first large race, which was a 10K on Thanksgiving 2011, I reached the 2nd mile marker at 12:20....whoops!  I am sure you can imagine how the rest of that race went.  I have really been trying to do a better job pacing myself in races, but for some reason, the learning curve for me is very steep! Because someone asked (Simon, I think), the 1/2 was not as hilly as where I typically train, but had quite a few rolling hills.  The weather was pretty good, except winds started out at 15 mph and then increased up to around 20 mph.  The race was going perfectly and I arrived at mile 11 at exactly 1:30 and was feeling great.  My goal had been around 1:47-1:48 (previous pr was 1:57) so I knew all I needed to do was continue at that pace for 2.1 and I would reach my goal!  Then, for whatever, reason, I had  spectacular blow-up at mile 12 (can you believe that??) and it took me 21 minutes to run the last 2.1.  I don't know if I went out too fast for my fitness level (I wouldn't have thought so) or if the wind just got to me (the last couple miles were straight into the 20 mpw winds), but anyway, it was a very humbling experience.  I really want to avoid this in the marathon, especially since its my first!

Average mpw:  We only started the program with a base of around 30-35, and progress up to 55 mpw.   Have been at 50 for the last 6-7 weeks.  We would have like to do a higher mileage plan but honestly, at this stage in our lives, I really don't know if it is possible for both DH and I to get much over 55 mpw.  Between my work schedule (about 60 hours most weeks) and our 2 small kiddos, we are doing the best we can right now.

Training plan:  Hal Higdon Int 2 with a few added miles (would do 5-6 miles instead of 3-4 when he called for it).  I have tried to get in a midweek long run every week but didn't get much over 10-11 miles during the week.

Race:  Disney...a bit crowded but we are in Corral B so shouldn't be bad.  Very flat.

How long have you been running:  Just about a year.  The Disney Marathon Relay in January 2012 was the first race we ever trained for.

How many marathons have you run:  This is my first

Age/sex:  35, female

Pace of long runs:  Typically 9:45/mile, but sometimes around 9:55-10/mile

Goal:  I would like to say I just want to finish, but let's be honest...I would be lying!  If I am being truthful, my goal is between 3:55-4.  I think I have the speed for that, but am not sure I have the endurance just yet.

So that's it!  Any and all advice would be great appreciated!

Trail Monster

Akalei, sounds yummy!

Joshlynn, you can order gear online cheap and most places will give you hassle-free returns and exchanges.

Simon, nice 11.3!

Sprinkles, enjoy the Christmas rest!

Merry second running Christmas Indy!

Ami, hope the long shift goes fast!

Just an easy 3-4 mile recovery run for me today. We're doing Christmas dinner here for DH's side so the rest of the day will be cleaning and prep work. Merry Christmas Donuts!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

So, I had troubles with my HR monitor reading way too high today, thought crap, its broken again, its only 6 months old.  So I adjust it, everything I can do and still just reading way high.  I pressed on it through my shirt and it drops down to normal, about 20 bpm less than what it was reading.  Let go of my shirt, goes back up 20 bpm. My shirt rubbing against it, static or something, is making it read wrong.  So..... remember my marathon when I said my HR was much higher across the board from the start?  I bought this shirt the day before my race, wore it on race day for the first time and today was the first day i've worn it since the race.  So I take the shirt off and put it on 5 times and each time it added or dropped 20 bpm.  I hold my shirt still and HR goes back to normal every time.  I put on my old running shirt and its down to normal.  Remember I slowed down in my marathon not because anything felt tired, just that my HR kept pegging and when I finished at 192 bpm I was only running a 9:30 pace, which shouldn't be possible, at least for me.  If I drop 20 bpm off my splits for the race, I'm EXACTLY around my training paces and efforts.  Could it be that simple?  Could I have been that stupid?

I've had the same problem.  I did two things to get rid of it.  One, make sure the strap is tight enough.  Secondly, I spray the insides of all my synthetic running shirts with Static Guard, both front, back and sleeves.  Problem went away forever.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  Back from my long run.  Purple knee and all I finished 20 miles and all without albuterol.  Yay.

AmiK, i'll read your post after I've eaten something.  Did you post it also in the forums racing area?  I would as well.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Static Guard?  What is that, what you iron shirts with?  I'm having the same problem.  It was telling me my LR was at 160HR when I felt I was going at 140.  Average ended up at 145 but the last half was supposedly close to 160 with a 169 as the high.  I would've felt it had I ran at that HR.   wonder what my problem is.

I've had the same problem.  I did two things to get rid of it.  One, make sure the strap is tight enough.  Secondly, I spray the insides of all my synthetic running shirts with Static Guard, both front, back and sleeves.  Problem went away forever.

Damaris

Rusk Runner

Amik - I am still a beginner here so I will give you my best thoughts but, you shouldnt take my best thoughts too seriously.  You obvioulsy have the speed to run a faster marathon than what you are planning for.  Everything at this point is where your endurance is at.  Remember, "the marathon is won not by the person who runs the fastest, but by he who slows down the least".

If I remember correctly, you were actually running alot of long runs on the faster side.  This exercises different systems than you need to truly build endurance.  Wasnt your 20 miler run sub 9:00?

Since you are saying that you ran most of you long runs at 9:45 to 10:00, I would recommend that you shoot for 9 minute miles.  This means nothing faster than 9:00 to 9:10 for the duration unless you really feel you can push harder after 22 miles.  This will get you in at 4:00 goal but if you bonk, hopefully it wont be too bad.  Trust me, what you felt in the half at mile 11 will be patty cakes compared to what you will feel at mile 22.  If you go bolting out for the first few miles, you are going to know it later.  You really cant afford to do that in your marathon, particularly your first.  Just guessing, but you will pay back in the latter half whatever you think you are banking in a fast start.

Remember, you are wanting to BQ so this is not going to be your last rodeo.  See how this one feels and you will know what to do with yourself next time out.

Also, you may be running a warmer race also.  You may have to adjust things a bit for weather.

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

AmiK:

I still think 9:45-10mm might be a tad too fast for LRs, but I think you've been doing a great job slowing down.  I think your issue will be whether you start out too fast.  In a 10K there is no issue, in a marathon, it's a death warrant.  So, you need to make sure you look at your pace and make it no faster than X.  I think you have the potential of either breaking 4 hours or being very close to it.

Damaris

Rusk Runner

Thought I would post this for anyone interested.  This comes from Tom Hollands book "The Marathon Method".

TEN COMMANDMENTS OF MARATHONING

1.  Thou shall not try anything on race day that thee have not done in practice.

2.  Thy first goal is always just to finish.

3.  Thou shall drinketh at thine aid stations.

4.  Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's marathon time.

5.  It is not about thee who goes out the fastest; it's about thee who slows down the least.

6.  Honor thy taper

7.  Carbs are thy best friend, not thine enemy.

8.  Thou shall not believe that more is better.

9.  Thou shall not skip thy strength training.

10. Thou shall stretch and stretch frequently.

Just Run!!!

Ball of Fury

Docket and Indy:  Thanks so much for the advice.  Indy, on my 20 miler, I ran the first 10 @ 9:45 and the second 10 @ 9:25-9:30.  I have really been trying to slow them down but when I get slower than 9:45ish, unless it's a recovery run on really dead legs, it feels like such as effort to go slower, does that make sense.  Docket, I am going to post in the racing forum this afternoon.  Again, thank you guys for the advice and I think at this point, I am planning to line up with the 4 hour pace group and try to stay with them until at least 20-22...maybe that will help me slow down (provided of course the pacer actually runs a 4 hour pace).