Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Rusk Runner

DD has a slight fever and stomach ache so I am watching her while DW and DS are at church.  I will have to get my 17 done this afternoon.

Temps will be in the high 30s to low 40s so it will be interesting on how I choose to dress.  I know during a race I would be in shorts and a singlet but, training paces would make that a little cold.  Lightweight tights and a light longsleeve shirt?

Once I am on the road I cant drop anything off anywhere.

Sprinkles - We are soooooo opposite when it comes to caloric intake.  Yesterday I drank about 7 bottles of water and ate 3 servings of brown rice with either fish or mediterrainian veggie patties, a big bowl of udon noodles with spinach and pork loin, a slice of lemon bread, an orange, and some Belvita crackers.  I eat like this and maintain weight during higher mileage weeks.

I do hope that you get to feeling more energetic and find a way to keep yourself fueled for the mileage.  To quote Pfitz ,"the program is designed to make you tired".  That being the case, anything you can do to stay ahead of getting tired seems critical.

Amik - Good attitude, and way to push through the negatives.  You are practicing mental toughness without even realizing it!  The worst of times in training make you stronger in races.  Put the mental strength days in your memory bank and pull them up when you need them during a race.  When I passed mile 22 at Indianapolis, the first thought I had was "youve got this".  That thought was generated by comparing how I felt to training runs and how I felt at mile 22 (miserable) during my first marathon.  It took about 2 seconds for me to gather information and tell myself the race was in the bag.

Onemile - You are Kicking Ass!

Docket - What race was this.  I am glad you are feeling better this morning.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got 12 on tap today.

Sprink, pfitz is quite a jump fromHigdon, so I can see that as a cause of some of the exhaustion. But yeah, you shouldn't feel like a bear preparing for winter. A friend of mine said a rule of thumb on nutrition and training is that drowsiness, which has been true for me. When I'm overtrained, I feel like my heart is beating super fast and pounding through my chest. When I feel that way, I go on a recovery run, and it usually goes away, and my legs come back. But when I'm undernourished, there's no way I can even go on a recovery run. By the way, saw Flight last night. Denzel was amazing.

Ami, way to get it done. My goal is a 7:48-7:52 pace, but we'll see on race day. I feel this plan is making me stronger, so if I feel good after a mile or two on race day, I will push it. My other goal however is to negative split and to make my last three miles my strongest.

Onemile, I'm not gonna yell at you. Especially not when Hansons give you four easy days in a row. When that happens, and you're feeling good, why not do a quicker run? Or do the last three of your Sunday run at MP? But I WILL yell at you if you do your Strength and Tempo runs too fast--bet on that.

Indi, yesterday was in the 40s, and I went out in shorts and a long sleeve half zip. I was a touch cold, and probably should've worn gloves and a headband too. But if it was sunnier or a touch warmer, I would've been fine. When it's in the high 30s I usually wear a jacket. Unless its a quality day, then I'll wear a base layer and a long sleeve. But stuff like wind, clouds, humidity also factor into my choice of clothing.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Ami and Onemile- Thanks for the encouragement- I feel a LOT better today- I enjoyed some ice cream last night and a nice piece of chocolate bread with pb this morning and ran fine.

Indiana - I have a pretty fast metabolic rate too, and I'm not underweight or anything - the first thing to fall off the wagon for me when I'm busy is properly eating for marathon training - that's why I work with the sports RD.  i LOVE rice and Udon though - you have excellent taste in food Smile

Cbus- I definitely have no elevated heartrate issues, so I think I'm fine- I just needed extra sleep.  I'm keeping the mileage a little lower than Pfitz recommends- this week was 47 prescribed, I did 41 - its hard for me to get there with work and such, so I'll deal.

13.1 marathon pace miles today.  I crossed the tape at 1:50, but don't know what my actual net time was- I guess I will find out- my watch says 1:56 but I did 0.6 mi warmup before the race.  Splits were pretty solid- Central Park is good and hilly, so they tend to vary a lot.  All in all nice race and good team support.  I ran the first few mi with a teammate but took off after that - I'm a really good hill runner and like to really take them by storm on training runs.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Ball of Fury

Great job Sprinkles!!  Glad you had a nice run today...never mind that your "training run" HM is faster than my PR! Smile

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

DetroitTigerFan

Sprinkles - those are some long work hours ! hang in there though. Nice job on the HM. It sounds like your plan is working even with work/life balance stuff going on in the short term

One Mile - nice job on the 10 miler !  PS - stop sending snow over here  Smile

Banshee - are you still listening to 5 finger Death Punch for your runs - lol ! don't get me started on motivational songs - i may have to open a new thread on that ! lol

Indy - left you a post on the Pfitz post. Hope you're feeling better

For me - I did my weekly 10 miler - I also finally signed up for my fall race and getting my plans together for ramping up

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

bagopux

DTF - I always wear my GPS on the opposite arm from ipod because I would definitely feel odd having all that on one arm. Also, until recently I would always wear my GPS on my right wrist and if I brought a hand bottle I could not hold it in my right hand for more than 5 minutes w/o feeling fatigue. But when I switch the bottle to my left hand I can hold it there for miles and miles, even though I'm right-handed. I've recently switched my GPS to my left wrist, but because the weather has been cooperative, I haven't carried the hand bottle lately. I don't what all that amounts to, but you asked. I guess to answer your question, if I have too much stuff on one side I feel out of balance. It may be all in my head, but I'm not certain.
              Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job, Sprinkles!

Damaris

DetroitTigerFan

Can someone please tell me how to customize the "run" activity to add a workout like "treadmill" ? I see in the setting you can add another activity "run/bike/walk" but i can't find where you can modify the type

thanks for any help !

Ball of Fury

If you are under settings and manage my activities, click on the run activity.  This will bring up more options and you can add different workout types.

Can someone please tell me how to customize the "run" activity to add a workout like "treadmill" ? I see in the setting you can add another activity "run/bike/walk" but i can't find where you can modify the type

thanks for any help !

DetroitTigerFan

Thanks Ami !!

Ball of Fury

You're welcome!  Someone had to show me last week!

Rusk Runner

Good Job on the run sprinkles!  I went to a b-day party last week and had some DQ ice cream cake.  I really am a sucker for that stuff.  I look for excuses to buy an ice cream cake every now and then.  I havent had curry udon in awhile and I will have to make some later in the week.  Udon has become my traditional night before my long run meal.

17 miler went really well today.  I stayed slower than GMP + 60 for 11 miles which was a silent goal.  Overall 9:16 avg with HR at below 75% MHRR. I felt very good but I am looking forward to an SRD tomorrow.  Its been 4 in a row when I wasnt feeling good to begin with so I think I could use a break.

Ended up 44 deg and sunshine for the whole run today.  I ended up wearing some lightweight, ventilated CWX tights with a singlet and an adidas lightwight 1/4 zip.  Never too cold, never too hot.

Happy Running everybody!!!!  Nachos, where u at brother!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 12 miles @ 8:57, and it was brutal. But that gives me 50 for the week. I'm kinda curious if I could run a marathon @ 9:08 pace on this plan. Even though my LR tops out at 12, I'm only 5 short of someone on Pfitz 55 for the week.

Sprink and Indi, great runs.

Onemile, the LR at a slightly faster pace has been tough. The LR definitely feels like a long workout rather than a long easy run.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

CBus and Indy:  Great job!!!

akalei

Hi everyone!  You guys get so talkative when I'm not around and I have trouble catching up!

Cbus, Sprinkles, and Indi: Nice runs today Smile Also, Sprinkles, I hear you on the nutrition issues when you're training.  I was there when I started training Pfitz.  You'll strike the balance eventually.

14 for me today, 8:43 pace overall.  Awful headwind for about the last 4 miles.  Getting excited for Shamrock.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com