Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

Dreamn

The first weekend in May is a popular race time!

Jedi, Simon, AP4, and Strider - Awesome half races.

Congrats on the 10k, Nick, even if you didn't hit your goal, that's pretty fast to me.

Sprinkles - pacing sounds so fun.  How did you get to be a pacer?  Do they review your race times to make sure you're qualified?

I ran the Broad Street Run yesterday and planned to just fun run it, I didn't even put it on the big board.  Go figure, it's my fastest 10 miles to date at 1:17.  Maybe all of my runs need to be fun runs.

What should I do between now and starting my 18 week plan in July?  Run as many miles per week as I can?  Should I do any quality work or just  easy runs?

mdawg87

Good morning!  Abs, cycling, and stretching at the gym this morning.  Marathon training cycle starts today!  In the Hanson's beginner plan, it's base building for the next few weeks so I'll keep doing what I'm doing until the weeks with quality work begin.  So...I'll be adding a 5th day of running this week.  Just some easy miles on Friday after weight training instead of cycling.

Dreamn:  I would run mostly easy miles with a tempo or MP runs thrown in every once in a while.  As for the MPW, it depends on what program you're using and how many miles you peak at.  Just as a guess I'd say between 30 and 40 would be good.  But if you're using a higher mileage plan, you may want to do more.

onemile:  That's a great week of mileage post marathon.  I'd say you've got a sub 1:40 in you after that marathon PR you just threw down!

AmiK:  You will come back from this injury.  You'll just have to be patient.  Believe me, I know how hard that is.  But it's well worth it to heal completely so you can train hard again.

So many great race performances this weekend.  Congrats to Simon, ap4, Dreamn, Jedi, Strider, and Sprinkles for her great pacing job!  Hope I didn't forget anyone!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

cmb4314

Great job to ap4, Simon, Strider, Simon, and Nick!  Lots of speedy races!

Sprinkles - Nice job pacing.  In some ways I'd love to pace, but it would totally stress me out in others!

I decided to try swimming last night, which my ankle agreed with pretty well, and it was nice to get my heart rate up a bit doing something.  My arms are tired today, though.  I remember feeling the same way after the first few swim practices of the year in high school, where I could barely get dressed because my shoulders were so tired at the end.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

DTF I have been running about 6 years but have not yet run a marathon. I want to do it properly and have not felt ready yet.

It is a bit intimidating to me to think of racing that far.

AP4 thanks for posting your report, great race.

Sounds like the course I ran was easier/faster than most of you guys had to deal with.

Sprinkles, great job with your group- exactly what runners are looking for in a pacer!

Time to update the list of PRs in your signature, Jedi!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Something amazing happened today. I breathed in rather deeply, and did not cough. I repeat, did not cough. And it sounded quite clear.

Ami, so when are you going to do Flying Pig? If you do the Pig, I might just join you!

Dreamn, I'd recommend easy miles. And if you take them nice and easy, you might find you can do a lot of them. So, I'd say high volume, as long as they are all easy.

Cmb, swimming is great. I think that'll keep you in great shape until you can get back to running again.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

Wow, speedy 10 miler Dream!

Mdawg - I really wish I could run a 1:39. I don't think my fitness is quite there yet.  But thanks Smile  5 days of running?  That's great. Definitely a good sign if you're feeling ready for that.

Ap4 - super splits. I'm jealous.

Amik - are you rolling your calves?  Mine get tight too and that helps some.  (And graston)

cmb - swimming sounds like a great idea.

cbus - glad to hear your cough/breathing is improving.

I'm not sure what I'm running tonight. Kinda liking not being on a schedule.  6-7 most likely. I'd like to hit 50 this week.

akalei

Morning all.  Broad Street went really well yesterday... I went out to have fun and definitely did.  Ran it in 1:16:55, which made me incredibly happy considering the congestion (especially in the first 2-3 miles).  Beat my time from last year by 8 minutes, too.  Also had ZERO pain in my foot from the self-diagnosed tendonitis, so I think I'm finally good there.

Nice races jedi, ap simon, & nick!  Those are some awesome times ya'll put up.

Sprinkles: You have me looking at races to be a pace group leader... it sounds fun and if I can run a half for free, I certainly will!

Dreamn: Definitely mix some quality work in here and there.  Agree with you on the running for fun, too.  I gave up freaking myself out long ago once I realized all my PRs were coming from "fun runs."

So question for everyone.  At Mile 9 yesterday, some girl on the sideline was yelling "one more to go! you're almost there!"  This got me thinking... for us, 1 mile to go is probably an "almost there" feeling, but it might not necessarily be for everyone.  So at what point is it OK to say "you're almost there"... I'm reminded of someone saying that at Mile 8 at Steamtown last year and I wanted to slap them.  Obviously that's not OK ever, but the Mile 9 of 10 thing just got me thinking!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Dreamn

Nice race Akalei!  It was congested the entire way for me and I started in the Orange corral and yet it was still my fastest race.  Thanks to you and Cbus for your feedback.  Okay, maybe some sporadic quality but majority easy.

Thanks, Onemile!

My almost there changes based on the distance, race, and pace.  For a marathon, almost there never comes, even when I see the finish it still feels so far!  But in a half or 10 miler even, I usually think that I'm almost there when there's 20 minutes or so of running left.  I usually tell myself that I've held pace for this long and to just hold it for 20 minutes more.  Once I get to the 2nd to last mile, I'm not even thinking about what's left, my mind is focused on just getting there.

Ball of Fury

CBus:  Glad you are finally on the mend!!  I will run the Pig with you, but only if we do the 3-way or 4-way!

https://secure.crock-pot.com/CiciVerify.aspx?4KRtPXZ6tgU08uSYZcs0ag%3d%3d

Dreamn and Alkalei:  Great races yesterday!!  Very speedy!

Onemile:  I bought a stick this weekend (I HIGHLY recommend that thing!!) and have been using it on my calves as well as my ITB.  I don't usually have problems with my calves at all, but am thinking maybe the 8-9 days without running and then racing a 5K just made them sore.

MTA:  Yeah, my almost there changes based on the race, the day, etc...At Disney, I swear I really wanted to punch people in the face for yelling almost there at mile 23-24, I was just that tired and over the whole thing!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

You're talking about running, right? Seriously, though: are you referring to a marathon relay team? Do they do that at the Pig? If so, I think that'd be awesome. I've always wanted to do a marathon relay.

CBus:  Glad you are finally on the mend!!  I will run the Pig with you, but only if we do the 3-way or 4-way!

https://secure.crock-pot.com/CiciVerify.aspx?4KRtPXZ6tgU08uSYZcs0ag%3d%3d

Dreamn and Alkalei:  Great races yesterday!!  Very speedy!

Onemile:  I bought a stick this weekend (I HIGHLY recommend that thing!!) and have been using it on my calves as well as my ITB.  I don't usually have problems with my calves at all, but am thinking maybe the 8-9 days without running and then racing a 5K just made them sore.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

SRD.....maybe. With the mood I am in it may be better if I got out and blew off some steam. I considered putting a sign on my office door saying "turn around and leave before you see me differently forever". Anyone else ever have one of those days. I am usually known for being up beat but ef' it today. RANT is OVER, if y'all are lucky.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Ball of Fury

You're talking about running, right? Seriously, though: are you referring to a marathon relay team? Do they do that at the Pig? If so, I think that'd be awesome. I've always wanted to do a marathon relay.

I was referring to the new 3-way and 4-way challenges they had this year, where you ran the 5K, 10K, and then either the HM or FM....mostly because it has a 5K and I wanted you to run one!  But, yes, they do have a marathon relay and I would absolutely be up for that!  We haven't done the Pig before because it's always the same weekend as the Indy Mini-Marathon, but next year, I would definitely do the relay.  It is about 3 weeks after Carmel, so a shorter race should be ok.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Dreamn - I am in same boat and just going to work on building my base mileage back up and keep doing some qulaity (intervals/tempos) just to maintain. probably be more focused Hanson stuff to prepare me for my plan in July. Definitely doing the LRs at pace they recommend, but have started doing that already. Nice jon on the "fun run".Smile

mdawg - congrats on the start of your hanson cycle.

ap4- great race report. Strong race.

cmb - nice job on the swim. That's tough XT from what i remember doing when i belonged to Y.

Simon - yeah yeah i know.Smile

cbus - gald you are feeling better

Jenny - have a super 6-7

akalei - nice job on the PR. Lot of good racing yesterday in this group.

Ami - 4 way? I thought this was a family oriented group?Smile

me - big ole lazy RD today for me. No running till Thursday. Not feeling too bad today but definitely sore. Maybe some sort of XT tomorrow. I'm having a fatass day today. i had a lunch mtg today and had chinesse. What perfect timing.Smile lol

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Ball of Fury

SRD.....maybe. With the mood I am in it may be better if I got out and blew off some steam. I considered putting a sign on my office door saying "turn around and leave before you see me differently forever". Anyone else ever have one of those days. I am usually known for being up beat but ef' it today. RANT is OVER, if y'all are lucky.

We ALL have those days, it's just more noticeable with people like us who are usually upbeat, ya know?  I recommend either a run or a stiff drink....or BOTH!

Rusk Runner

Wow! Too much to catch up on in here!

Strider - missed your race results, Congrats!

Amik - Missed your not supposed to be a race results! And how did you do exactly?

Roll - I dont know about everybody else, but hell yeah I have had those days. Alot fewer since I have been a runner.

Just gonna try to fit in 3 to 5 recovery tonight. Tomorrow morning will probably be the same. Still not feeling any speed work yet.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!