Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Engaged in what feels like a competitive eating competition over here.  I forget how much carb loading sucks lol.  I went all out though - big new york bagel, cookie the size of my face and cheeseless pizza (no dairy anywhere near a race) with a giant pretzel roll.  I think tomorrow its going to be a little more in the juice department and less in the heavy solids department.  Sheesh.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

White Lightning

I really wanted to get out today for a run but just couldn't make the time.  I have about 5 days left of really tough yard work as long as the weather holds then I should have some time again.  Had my flower delivery come in today, 3000 flowers for the grounds this year.  Started planting them this afternoon and my back is sooo sore so hot tub is waiting for me and a couple of aleve then back at it tomorrow.

Hope all is well with everyone

Play the Game Hard!

onemile

Good luck tomorrow Sprinkles! Kick some Cleveland butt!  Can't wait to see how you do!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Sprinkles - as long as it's a NY bagel.Smile

jedi - I'm doing work eating bagels today

Morning Donuts! 14.1m done for my LR this am. Found some new bad-ass hills I've never run before. Really kicked my ass, but overall avg pace just 10sec off my Hanson LR pace so that's a win. I felt really strong at end. Ran my LR today as traveling to NC tomorrow for training and some supplier visits for work. Good running all.

Nick - 8m @HMP good workout.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Rusk Runner

Best of luck to our racers this weekend!

Jedi - You are the master!  I had my phone with me last Sunday to take pics of my running route (hills) but that is the run when my calf turned me around.  I will get those photos next weekend?

Planning on a short jaunt with DW today or tomorrow.  I fully intend to test the calf with some short easy runs starting Sunday or Monday.  Got my wobble slant board, DVD, and walking sticks yesterday.  The exercises look easy, but are difficult.  I can feel the effects of a full round yesterday.  I feel that they will do much, much good for a person who fully believes in natural running stride.  I am excited about it anyway, and I am going to fully implement all of the exercises into my daily running life.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Ball of Fury

I ran 3 miles today...yay!  I ha a hangover, it was raining, and it was hot/humid, but it was glorious!!  9:18, 9:00, and 8:27 for average 8:54/mile so not too bad.  Hip was pretty stiff but I wasn't limping and it was just mild discomfort until the 3rd mile, where it started to hurt and even my calf/Achilles said "no more!"  So, I headed home.  Baby steps I guess!

Jedi:  Great run!  Have a nice trip!

Indy:  Hope you and DW enjoy the run.  I will be interested to see how the exercises work for you!

Sprinkles:  Give em hell tomorrow!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

mdawg87

Good morning!  Just back from 7 with 6 @ 8:21 pace.  Ran a 9:14 w/u mile followed by 8:08, 8:21, 8:08, 8:13, 8:10, and 8:13.  Just trying to see where I am speed wise since I've not raced or really worked on speed since Chicago.  And I don't think I mentioned that I signed up for a local HM on June 8th a couple of days ago.  Since the race I'm doing is hilly and it will probably be hot and humid that day, I'd just be happy running it at GMP (8:35) to see how I feel about that goal.  Oh well, I've got 3 weeks and I'm just excited to race again!

Sprinkles:  Eat up and rest up today!  Looking forward to tomorrow for you!

Jedi:  Strong runs for you lately.  Good confidence builders for marathon training.

Josh:  Good luck with all that yard work!

Indy:  Fingers crossed your test runs go well.

AmiK:  Easy does it.  Baby steps like you say.  I'd run only easy miles for a bit.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Sprinkles - Again good luck tomorrow, and you mentioned no dairy - I know to stay away from extra fat to make sure my metabolism isn't slowed down trying to digest all of those carbs, but I usually eat non-fat Greek yogurt for my normal breakfast. So is that just your rule because of stomach issues, or is that some supposedly common knowledge thing that everyone should follow?

Josh - maybe you mentioned it before, but do you manage some campground or resort or something? That is a lot of flowers!

Jedi - nice LR

Indi - not really sure what a wobble slant board is, something you try to balance on to increase core strength? I guess I could Google it

Ami - positive progression, step by step

mdawg - strong tempo-like run

I just got back from pushing my 1yo for 7 miles in the jogging stroller (did the same yesterday too). Hoping to convince my brother to watch him tomorrow during my long run as the wife and 3yo went on a trip to Colorado. Otherwise my LR may not be long, or at least slower than planned.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Hi guys!

Holiday weekend for us here in Canada- hope Josh gets a break from all this "cross training" he is doing with mulch and flowers!

Sprinkles, I am not convinced that eating carbs till you feel uncomfortable is helpful. I am sure there is a limit to how much glycogen your liver and muscles can store. I prefer to just eat normally. Just an opinion.

Nick, I am sure you will do better this time as it seems you are much better prepared. Your mileage for March and April looks good, but you did not run much in January or February. It usually takes me 5 months or so to get into race shape- but I suppose everyone is different.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys!  Did the race but ended up doing the 5K when the unmarked course confused me and I ended up on the 5K course, meh.

Sprinkles, good luck!!!

Damaris

Rusk Runner

Docket - But did you have fun?

Nick - I will take the time to explain later (wobble slant board).  If you look up eric orton or do some research on the born2run.com site you will get a better idea, but its all about strengthening the muscles from the feet up that you need to be working correctly to work with a good forefoot strike/knee drive stride.

So mdawg you may be my informant and advisor.  My calf is not ready.  I had a blast with DW.  We did 2 miles in 28 minutes, running for 5 min and walking for 3 min.  She was exercised and I never broke a sweat, but my calf did tighten into a ball of pain again.  I plan to go to the doc and get an MRI scheduled, etc.

More concerning to me is how to maintain my fitness in the meantime.  I have a rideable bicycle.  Would 10 to 15 miles of riding a day, say 5 or 6 days a week help?  I could get some elliptical time in during my time off from work, but it would take travel.  I dont like taking time off from running, but I will to get healthy,  I am deeply concerned about maintaining my weight and fitness!  HELP!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

I shoveled a truck bed full of mulch into our bedsyesterday  evening, nothing near Josh's loads, and then slipped out for 7 more miles.

Indi - what's a wobble slant board?

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

mdawg87

Indy:  Sorry to hear you're still having pain.  My best advice is to watch your diet if you can't maintain the same level of activity.   Along with that would be to be as active as your injury will allow.  I have always cross trained and am a regular gym goer so I was able to substitute other cardio (elliptical, stepmill, cycling, etc.) for running.  I was able to come fairly close to the same calorie burn as running 20-25 miles per week so I modified my diet to account for that.  As far as fitness, if you're away from running as long as I was, you will lose some sharpness and speed.  It's inevitable.  But on the bright side, the body has a great memory and if you keep in shape as best you can, you'll get that fitness back quicker than you think.  Not sure if our injuries are similar, but it was about 10 weeks before my calf passed the one leg hop test.  That's when I was able to start slowly ramping up mileage.  It's been a total of 5 months since I first injured my calf.  I'd say about 2or 3 weeks ago was when I felt fully back to being marathon training ready.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

onemile

Indi - can't your PT graston your calf? That helped mine so much. There was all this gritty stuff on the side of my calf opposite of my injury and it felt so much better after he scraped that out.

Billy - nice LR

Amik - glad you got in a short run. Sorry you were feeling the hip at the end though.

mdawg - nice pace on the 6

Roll - nice on the 7

I ran 13. The first 8 I was feeling like hey, maybe I've gained some fitness because I was feeling like 8:3x was pretty comfortable.  And then I crashed hard. hahaha.  Should have brought some water with me or waited til the sun went down because I was really overheating.  The last few were rough.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes!  Too bad I didn't finish the 10K.  I was pacing nice (not PR worthy but easy and still course PR worthy).

Docket - But did you have fun?

Nick - I will take the time to explain later (wobble slant board).  If you look up eric orton or do some research on the born2run.com site you will get a better idea, but its all about strengthening the muscles from the feet up that you need to be working correctly to work with a good forefoot strike/knee drive stride.

So mdawg you may be my informant and advisor.  My calf is not ready.  I had a blast with DW.  We did 2 miles in 28 minutes, running for 5 min and walking for 3 min.  She was exercised and I never broke a sweat, but my calf did tighten into a ball of pain again.  I plan to go to the doc and get an MRI scheduled, etc.

More concerning to me is how to maintain my fitness in the meantime.  I have a rideable bicycle.  Would 10 to 15 miles of riding a day, say 5 or 6 days a week help?  I could get some elliptical time in during my time off from work, but it would take travel.  I dont like taking time off from running, but I will to get healthy,  I am deeply concerned about maintaining my weight and fitness!  HELP!

Damaris