Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I was told I could not get service in one Thai place because the cook couldn't guarantee that no shellfish contamination will occur.

The funniest one was here in Coral Gables.  I told her, I'm a vegetarian, which items do not have the lobster sauce and are vegetarian.  Well, these ones. They only have fish sauce in them.  *facepalm*

Thats bogus. It was funny. It's a very small hole in the wall, authentic Thai food place. In fact, I was one of the only non Asian patrons. But as I sat there I noticed we were rocking out to Darius Rucker's Wagon Wheel. Funny

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It will be a miracle if he keeps at it, mind you.

^jealousSmile

Damaris

Ball of Fury

Didworkgotfast indeed! I thought this article about BQing was interesting and maybe even a little depressing to a degree:

http://www.marathonnation.us/

yes...I am now depressed!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Ball of Fury

Didworkgotfast indeed! I thought this article about BQing was interesting and maybe even a little depressing to a degree:

What's even more depressing to me is that I am already faster than the 5K and 10K times Daniel's says I need...I just lack endurance, which has always been my problem!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

mdawg87

Wonder why they suggest you have your qualifying time by Sept 1st?  Has registration ever opened that early?  I thought it was usually mid-September.  Guess that's just a date that's definitely safe and why they recommend it?

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I think if you're BQ-2 you should still get in for 2015. 2014 is another story. For me starting Fall'14 i fall under the 45-49 standard and will only need a 3:25.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

cmb4314

Weirdest comment ever:

"If I get to the marathon distance, we will need to redo some of your destination marathons, so I can do them."  Mr. Docket.

Score!

Having a spouse that runs as well is amazing.

My husband was saying the other day how now that he's really trained well for a marathon, he's much less intimidated by them and he would totally travel places to run one.

Though, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up doing a half IM before he does another marathon.  Which I'm okay with - we dropped nearly $3k on that tri bike, I like to see him use it.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

cmb4314

What's even more depressing to me is that I am already faster than the 5K and 10K times Daniel's says I need...I just lack endurance, which has always been my problem!

See, I think that's reassuring.  Just keep running good mileage, and the endurance will come.

I'm the opposite, all endurance and no speed, and it's terribly depressing to think that I might just never be able to move my legs fast enough, no matter how much endurance I have.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think I am the same, all endurance and no speed too.  No matter what I do.  Hoping the lungs cooperate one day.

Damaris

bagopux

I'm the opposite, all endurance and no speed, and it's terribly depressing to think that I might just never be able to move my legs fast enough, no matter how much endurance I have.

Meh.  I've run 20+ marathons and I realized a while ago that the chances of me ever BQ'ing are slim to none no matter how hard I train.  IMO, at some level or after some time, you have to run just because you like running.  If you are finding your lack of speed to be terribly depressing, you need to reorient yourself.  Some people just don't have the genes but that doesn't mean you can't do the best you can and be deeply satisfied that you did something very challenging and did your best at it.

Had some lingering pain in my right foot but x-rays were negative.  Doc says its just tendonitis.  With proper treatment it should be right as rain in a couple of weeks, which is good because I've got my Hudson plan for MCM all ready and it kicks off in about three weeks.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I agre.  however, I don't think cmb was really depressed about her speed.

Meh.  I've run 20+ marathons and I realized a while ago that the chances of me ever BQ'ing are slim to none no matter how hard I train.  IMO, at some level or after some time, you have to run just because you like running.  If you are finding your lack of speed to be terribly depressing, you need to reorient yourself.  Some people just don't have the genes but that doesn't mean you can't do the best you can and be deeply satisfied that you did something very challenging and did your best at it.

Had some lingering pain in my right foot but x-rays were negative.  Doc says its just tendonitis.  With proper treatment it should be right as rain in a couple of weeks, which is good because I've got my Hudson plan for MCM all ready and it kicks off in about three weeks.

Damaris

cmb4314

Meh.  I've run 20+ marathons and I realized a while ago that the chances of me ever BQ'ing are slim to none no matter how hard I train.  IMO, at some level or after some time, you have to run just because you like running.  If you are finding your lack of speed to be terribly depressing, you need to reorient yourself.  Some people just don't have the genes but that doesn't mean you can't do the best you can and be deeply satisfied that you did something very challenging and did your best at it.

I guess "terribly depressing" is probably too strong of a way to put it.

95% of the time, I'm quite happy with my running.  I was never athletic at all growing up, so I'm actually way better at it than I ever thought I'd be.  And logically, I know I'm not even slow, and I'm probably well above average in most of my races.

There is that little part of me though, deep down, that gets bummed when I think too hard about the things that I'd LOVE to do that are just beyond what my legs will give me.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

That BQ article is so technical I stopped reading it lol.  I am going to stick with just trying to run fast and then faster.  And if I fail a few times, not get all pissy about it.  I figure I've only been running for 2 years, so maybe I have a shot.  I think my speed and endurance are pretty much equivalent in terms of how they value in my ability to run - probably more endurance monster than speed, considering how much i hate super short races and speed workouts though.

docket- that's awesome that your husband wants to travel with you - mine travels but hates running!

cmb- you never know- sometimes its just having a really good day!  I know people who BQ'ed after years.  If anything you can always get older and then the BQ time gets lesser!

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

cmb - i only get bummed about when it's April and hear lot of people getting ready to run Boston. It's what drives me though and I will get there if not this year the year after.

I guess "terribly depressing" is probably too strong of a way to put it.

95% of the time, I'm quite happy with my running.  I was never athletic at all growing up, so I'm actually way better at it than I ever thought I'd be.  And logically, I know I'm not even slow, and I'm probably well above average in most of my races.

There is that little part of me though, deep down, that gets bummed when I think too hard about the things that I'd LOVE to do that are just beyond what my legs will give me.

Sprinkles - that short interval work is what gets you faster. Look what I have done the last months in my log. 2-3 days of quality between intervals/tempos my easy pace has dropped a good 30sec from where I was last fall. That and keeping mileage consistant. Consistency is goodness.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Rusk Runner

I wish you all the best in meeting your BQ goals.  I wont be running another marathon till after registration but dont need to worry about it  since I wouldnt try to register anyway.  I used to think if I would travel to a marathon it would be to Big Sur as I think the experience would be very, very memorable.  Now I am just bummed that I wont be able to run Shamrock to meet some of you folks.  Alas, I have to wait till July to see if my fitness will be at the point that I should train for a BQ or about 5 minutes slower than.  Heck I am still beaming that I can run a 3:42 on a fall apart race.  I dont even know what the heck I am worried about.

Docket - I am bummed for you.  The thought of not being able to eat thai food is unbearable.  Or korean, or Japanese, or philipino, and so on and so forth.  I wish I could get DW out running.  Heck, I wish I could get her to eat thai food.

Nick - I agree with what everyone already told you.

Amik - Just take your time.  All good things in time.  You are a heck of an athlete.

Gonna try to get 10 miles in tomorrow before PT.  If I get to feeling bad I will cut it to 8 but I think 10 would be nice.

Rode the Hog to work today.  It was beautiful weather for a ride both ways.  Gotta go on a charity ride Saturday and I think we are all going to get rained on.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!