Sub-4 Marathon Group

July 2013 (Read 44 times)

onemile

Morning guys.

mdawg - sounds like a good plan. I mean it sounds like you're having a much easier time with the workouts than I was so I think that's promising.  And I'm not as convinced as Cbus is that running them a few seconds/mile too fast is going to screw you over.  I mostly tried to keep it controlled but I wouldn't worry about 5 seconds/mile faster for some of your splits.

I'm curious what my MP runs will feel like this time around because I am comfortably running my easy runs a fair bit faster and the difference between what I was running easy runs at last cycle and my MP last cycle was a much larger.  On the other hand, I doubt my ability to hit my MP on really hot days and I ran a pretty crappy 5k the other week so I don't know.  I tend to worry about this stuff too much.  My first MP run is on Thursday but I was thinking of skipping it in favor of racing an 8k on Saturday but I'm not sure yet what I'll do.

Oh and I'm planning to run 8 tonight.

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

Took me an hour, but I finally read up to the current page - miss a week, miss a lot!

RVD - sorry to hear about the break in; impressive weight loss - what's your target weight (may have missed this info)?

Josh - glad you're OK.

Hi Paula!

Nice training and miles everyone!

Vacation break has thrown running out of rhythm (e.g., no hill runs yet).  I'm logging ~ 30 weekly miles but feel the need to turn it up a notch.  Torn between following the gradual buildup in the plan (RW) versus doing more because I feel I can.  Probably better to err on the side of caution and follow the plan.  I do plan to plan to increase pace versus last year so that I can get the 103 seconds I left on the course.  :-)

I've enjoyed the courses I've had this week (DC mall, Princeton campus) and it stays interesting with my first trip to the southern hemisphere in the coming week (Brazil).

Docket - hear back from Sramley?

PR:  47:52 (10K), 1:48:17 (HM), 4:01:42 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Strider, I did (via FB).  He is busy but doing fine.  He posted a tri picture the other day and a run with his kids.

Damaris

Rusk Runner

Onemile, cbus, amik - DW kind of caught me by suprise today.  I told her about folks wanting to get together and meet up for a bit in Indy and she said we should just go up and spend the night on Friday.  So I may well be going up to run in the monumental after all.  Goals and sign up will be an unknown for awhile.  It will either be a slow 26.2 mile training run or a fast 13.1.  I highly doubt that I would be trained enough by then to keep up with you on a full, onemile.  But if I am going to pay the money to run and to get there, I am either going to get a medal for another full or I am going to get a PR in a half.

Heading up to the trail for a leisurely 5 miler.  Will check in after I return.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 6ish today with the running group. They were all running a bit too fast for my taste, but decided to keep up anyway: 9:32 pace. I should be fine for tomorrow's LR, especially if the weather holds up.

Mdawg, good deal. If you're going for a faster time, then the paces look better. I was just tryi g to keep you honest based on what you said about your goals, so sorry if I was being a drag.

Onemile, it's not that I think going 5 seconds fast here or there is going to screw you. In fact, 5 sec is my cushion. It's more about the intent of a specific workout, and the patterns and habits a runner develops over time. If my goal is say to run a marathon at 9:00 pace, and the workout calls for me to get practice at that pace, but I consistently do the workout at 8:50, then there is an issue, I think. Either I have to switch my goal to match 8:50 or slow down my pace. But it makes no sense, to me, to train at 8:50 and then race at 9:00. But now that Mdawg has adjusted her pace, I won't harp on it. But for argument's sake: it doesn't make sense to me to do a MP workout in the Hansons plan 5 sec too fast, and the Strength workout 5 sec too slow because that ends up being the same workout. So, I think, in a way, 5 seconds can be an issue. (FWIW, in that scenario, I think the runner is better of running the Strength slightly faster.)

Strider, thanks for that link to the Garmin data. Your elevation profile looks a heck of a lot different than the ones I found on MapMyRun. And from conversations with others, your profile seems to be the more accurate one.

Indi, great news! I'll see if DW will let me drive down there.

Mizuno shoe junkies, FYI, Running Warehouse has videos up on the new Wave Rider.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. In other news. Today, I'm a REAL runner. I signed up for my first 5k. The Dublin Irish Festival 5k on Aug. 1.

DetroitTigerFan

Strider - cool route in DC - how did you memorize that - a lot of twists and turns - looks fun though !

Indy - hope you're feeling well and the running is going well for you

Cbus - lol - that's funny it's your first 5K.  Although I've only done a few 5K as well and many are for charity and have involved walking with groups. The last running one I did was when my city built a new city hall and they celebrated. Only 20 people ran it - I was so scared of being last but it was fun. It would be funny if Pfitz had a 5K tune up race 2 weeks before the marathon - lol !

Me - did my 16.6 as discussed - did 2 WU (10:38) + 12 (9:47) + 2 (9:13)  Probably a little conservative on the pace (it was overall slower than my previous shorter long runs) but i feel great now. Avg heart rate was in middle of Pfitz range so I guess it was a success.  Next weekend I have the Pfitz 16 mile with 10 at MP checkpoint - Paula and Sprinkles - you ready for this workout ? I say bring it on - lol Smile

hope everyone's enjoying their long runs this weekend !

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Strider: Glad you had a good trip to DC (and a good run)!  Jealous about Brazil.

Cbus: I'm happy to let you be the coach and yell if paces are not what they should be.  Though this cycle I'm more concerned about consistently missing slow rather than running too fast because I picked an aggressive goal and I'm doing my training in suffocating humidity (the humidity is partly why I give myself a :10 "range" on either side of the target pace from the chart in the book.   And on doubles, one of my runs is usually during lunch, so the 3.5 miles or so I can get in then I think of as "bonus" miles.

onemile: I agree with you on your comment to mdawg about pace ranges.  I think to some extent,  +/- :05 is the Garmin's margin of error just because of how it measures things.  I also have to stop and start because of cross streets, so I find it harder to be metronomic about pace.  On your MP runs, I think they will feel easy (you are only targeting dropping 5-7 minutes or so off of your time to get to a BQ, right? Or do you have a more aggressive goal?)

Indy: Enjoy the trail!

Hi everyone else!

Me:  I flipped my weekend runs, so I did my LR this morning.  Schedule was 12 and target was 8:05.  Ended up doing 14 @  8:21 average pace.  Ran a mile warmup and a mile cooldown, so of the 12 in the middle I averaged 8:10 (missed target pace range on three (first mile, last mile and random one where I had to stop multiple times for traffic and tourists)).

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

onemile

Indi - Yay, glad you are going to be at Monumental! Regardless of what pace you end up running, it will be fun to meet up with you guys.

Cbus - you registered for a WHAT?!  :dancing banana:   Way to man up. Finally. hehe.  I guess I did also run the strength runs slightly faster too.  But I think I was mostly doing 8:27-8:28ish splits for the MP runs and maybe 8:17-8:18 for the strength so I can't remember why exactly you kept ragging on me Wink

DTF - nice 16.  16 with 10 at MP sounds tough. But I guess I had to do it a couple times on my plan and it wasn't bad.

onemile

Strider - some how I missed that you were going to Brazil.  I'm sooo jealous. I've been wanting to go to S America for some time.  I hope you come back with some photos to share.

Flinders - Nice on the 14.  I didn't realize you were that far into the plan that you were doing LRs of 14 already.   And I guess right now the plan for me is 3:35 which would mean dropping 7:45.   But my plan is also to adjust based on how things go.

Smashy!!!

Probably because you said your goal was 8:35. Joking

Indi - Yay, glad you are going to be at Monumental! Regardless of what pace you end up running, it will be fun to meet up with you guys.

Cbus - you registered for a WHAT?!  :dancing banana:   Way to man up. Finally. hehe.  I guess I did also run the strength runs slightly faster too.  But I think I was mostly doing 8:27-8:28ish splits for the MP runs and maybe 8:17-8:18 for the strength so I can't remember why exactly you kept ragging on me Wink

DTF - nice 16.  16 with 10 at MP sounds tough. But I guess I had to do it a couple times on my plan and it wasn't bad.

Good morning!

I slept in LATE today!!  I must have needed it.  After my 10 miles yesterday, I worked all day around the house cleaning and gardening.  Rest day for me today, or possibly 3-4 very easy recovery miles this afternoon.  Tomorrow's 14 miler will put me at 50 for the week, so I'm only going to run today if I'm feeling up to it.

mdawg - Great running.  I tend to be optimistic with training run paces, and feel that if they come that easy and I can continue with the plan as scheduled, that I am gaining fitness.  Of course, I'm not following Hansons plan either so there's that.

AmiK - Hi!  Don't be hard on yourself.  I've heard of so many cases of runners taking an extended break, and coming back stronger than ever.  Keep at it, girl!

MA Runner girl - You're going to feel like your flying when you run without the stroller, I bet!

Onemile - Indi O'Clock - LMAO!!!  OK, I did not get up anywhere near Indi O'Clock today. Smile

Strider - Hi!  Brazil?  I'm jealous.   Is this work or play?

cbus - shorty shorts and a 5k!!!  I wish I could do more 5k's.  The only 2 I've ever run I placed 1st female and 3rd female and brought home $!  And I'm really not very fast. Apparently I know how to pick 'em.  Smile  It would be nice to run a certified course though, so I can have a real race time as my 5k instead of a time trial.

DTF - Re:  fundraising.  What charity are you supporting?  I have used firstgiving.com to fundraise for prior races.  It's really super easy to use, both for donors and to set up.  Here is the website I set up:  http://www.firstgiving.com/paulamcdonald

I've raised funds to support ARPKD/CHF Alliance - ARPKD is a rare genetic disease similar to polycystic kidney disease, but more aggressive.  My 10 year old daughter has it.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Ball of Fury

Happy Saturday Donuts!  I crashed last night and slept for almost 12 hours before coming to work another fabulous 12 hour shift today Wink!  So, today ended up being an URD I suppose...was supposed to do an Insanity workout but it's recovery week so no big deal.  We have another fit test tomorrow and I will try to do an easy run.  We then start Insanity month 2 on Monday, which will make it pretty tough to get runs in, but I am going to try my best.  I want to rebuild my mileage but don't want the injury to return either.

Indy:  Yay....great news about Monumental!  If you are looking for a good hotel deal, we booked the Courtyard Marriot downtown for $119, which I thought was pretty cheap for a race weekend.

Onemile:  Enjoy your easy 8!

Strider:  Sounds like you had a great trip and I, too, am jealous of Brazil.

CBus:  Nice 6ish and I am so proud of you for signing up for a 5K!!!  Kick ass out there!

Dtf:  Nice 16.6!  I didn't find the knuckle lights to be bothersome at all, but YMMV.  I usually only wear one at a time though.

Flinders:  Great job on the 14!  I never thought I would be jealous of you guys doing 14 and 16 mile long runs, but that sounds so fun right now!

Paula:  Enjoy either your SRD or your easy run!  I have been struggling with severe ITBS and trochanteric bursitis since late November/early December.  I was able to train pretty well through mid April, but then had to take an extended break.  It sucks but I am just trying to deal with it the best I can.

Roll:  Those are some pretty fast recovery miles buddy!

Docket:  Enjoy your 6...although how the hell you can enjoy a run down in that swamp is beyond me girl!

MDawg:  Nice easy 8.  I am so happy your training is going so well thus far...it gives me hope!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Rusk Runner

100 deg heat index.  Got a tad lost on the trail today and had to stop every now and then to make sure I was going to be okay.  So here is my review of the Buffalo Trace Mountain Bike Trail in French Lick Indiana....

WHAT A FREAKING BLAST!!!

Ended up running 7.7 miles at 10:41 pace (planned on 5 miles).  Lots of hills, rocky outcroppings, roots, streambeds, and a beautiful little waterfall.  You have to, have to, watch where you are stepping.  I wore my Brooks Pure Grit 2's.  Wish I had brought more than a ten ounce bottle of water, but I wasnt expecting the heat to be where it was.  I will definately be running that trail more often.  Its too nice to pass up.  Not to mention the benifits of using all of the other muscle groups required to navigat the terrain.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

onemile is getting to you, I can tell. Big grin

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. In other news. Today, I'm a REAL runner. I signed up for my first 5k. The Dublin Irish Festival 5k on Aug. 1.

Damaris