Sub-4 Marathon Group

July 2013 (Read 44 times)

I just may cross over to the dark side next training cycle...

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Smashy!!!

I was all by my lonesome last time around but this time I have some good company. And you know misery loves company.  Big grin

That's not completely true. I was doing Hansons HM with you, until I got sick of course.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Too busy today to check in, but I was able to run my 4 miles after the trial and the dentist.  I got a nosebleed, though, bah!

Have a great night!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I need to try Hanson!  My coach loves Hanson, so maybe next time he can do a Hansonesque plan for me but concentrating on my strengths.

Damaris

Rusk Runner

Missed my chance for Hansons this time around.  Oh well.

6.2 at 3:30 AM, Humid like crazy and 72 deg.  Cycle tomorrow and maybe a trail run during the weekend sometime.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 10 tonight.  Working from home.

Damaris

onemile

That's not completely true. I was doing Hansons HM with you, until I got sick of course.

True.  And the HM plan is on a whole nother level.  I think you're going to enjoy the FM plan a little more.  Wink

Ball of Fury

Hey....I was doing Hanson's HM too dammit!!  Anyway, 4 hot, humid miles this morning...yuck!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

I was all by my lonesome last time around but this time I have some good company. And you know misery loves company.  Big grin

I used the purchased Hansons 40 - 60 mpw 20 week plan for the Shamrock last year.  That was my first usage of it.  Then I repeated the last 7 weeks of the plan for the Lake Wobegon Marathon in May.  I hit my goals for both marathons.  Smile

This is my first attempt at the purchased 20 week 60 - 80 mpw plan for Chicago.  I may have set too ambitious a goal this time though.

mdawg87

Quick in for me.  Headed to a meeting in a few minutes.  Shout outs later if I can.

10 miles w/8 at GMP.  GMP miles were 8:23, 8:32, 8:30, 8:31, 8:33, 8:30, 8:26, and 8:20.  Still trucking along okay through the Hansons gauntlet so far.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Quick in for me.  Headed to a meeting in a few minutes.  Shout outs later if I can.

10 miles w/8 at GMP.  GMP miles were 8:23, 8:32, 8:30, 8:31, 8:33, 8:30, 8:26, and 8:20.  Still trucking along okay through the Hansons gauntlet so far.

Looking at your splits gets me depressed.  My "MP" splits were: 9:21, 9:17, 9:10, 9:11, 9:09, 9:07, 9:06, 8:57.  Somehow these don't average out to 9:00.  Sigh..... Sad

mdawg, nice splits!

Rvd, how did you determine your goal pace?

10 GA miles for me in a few minutes here...  It's 61F right now, perfect.  This is why I train for fall marathons.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Rvd, how did you determine your goal pace?

I read tea leaves.

Seriously though, I hit my 4:15 goal for Lake Wobegon, coming in at 4:13:40 and didn't think that 4:00 would be too large a jump for a 20 week 60 - 80 mpw plan.  Plus, in colder weather I had been able to use an 8:50 pace for my half marathon pace runs and stay aerobic.

Plus from the Hanson training PDF for a 4:00 hour marathon the training paces for the various distances are:

5k: 8:03  (I'm doing 7:50)

10K: 8:24 (I ran 8:05 in a 10k earlier this year)

HMP: 8:47 (I was using 8:50 during my last training session.  Haven't run a half in a while.)

MP: 9:09 (trying to use 9:00 to ensure being able to hit a 4:00 due to non-optimal tangents, etc.)

Long Runs: 9:45 (no problem here)

Easy Runs: 10:15

So, since I was able to do the training paces corresponding to the 4:00 projected MP finish it didn't seem to great a reach to try a 9:00 pace.

Rvd, you probably can just chalk up today's MP run as a "bad day", though you weren't too far off your MP pace.  You clearly have the speed to shoot for a sub-4.  I know I've encountered plenty of times during training that I just can't hit my paces, and still make my goal on race day.

PRs:

ap4

Rvd, you probably can just chalk up today's MP run as a "bad day", though you weren't too far off your MP pace.  You clearly have the speed to shoot for a sub-4.  I know I've encountered plenty of times during training that I just can't hit my paces, and still make my goal on race day.

+1, brush it off.  Don't discount the effects of cumulative fatigue either.  Last week, I was about :30 off my paces, just heavy legs.  Took a couple of recovery runs and an URD, back on paces this week.