Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

ap4

Thanks for the insight guys.  Makes perfect sense that my heart rate isn't up there yet and consequently the oxygen delivery isn't primed yet.  Guess I'm not used to actually having the endurance that I get faster as the intervals progress.  I remember through high school, I'd lose 5-10 seconds every lap I ran.  Of course, I used to have trouble with running 1.5 miles in less than 12:30 and got assigned to intramural jogging until I could, year after year.  I think there's definitely a psychological hold back aspect as well.  Do all you guys warm up for the shorter races?  Is there a distance cutoff where it compromises your endurance at the tail end of the race?

easy 6 @ 8:55. Speed work mañana. intervals.

Thanks y'all for all of the congrats.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

bagopux

Thanks for the insight guys.  Makes perfect sense that my heart rate isn't up there yet and consequently the oxygen delivery isn't primed yet.  Guess I'm not used to actually having the endurance that I get faster as the intervals progress.  I remember through high school, I'd lose 5-10 seconds every lap I ran.  Of course, I used to have trouble with running 1.5 miles in less than 12:30 and got assigned to intramural jogging until I could, year after year.  I think there's definitely a psychological hold back aspect as well.  Do all you guys warm up for the shorter races?  Is there a distance cutoff where it compromises your endurance at the tail end of the race?

I dont know what the general rules are, but for me, I warm up for anything from a half marathon on down.  In marathons, my best miles are from about 5 to about 16, so I figured getting 1 or 2 of the lousy ones out of the way at the beginning and adding in a couple of good ones at the end would help.  The most I ever warmed up was 2 miles for a 10k.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I was just thinking of you and wondering where you were!

Nice intervals ap4!

great run D!

i think I'm finally back! I still have a nasty cold but I ran for the first time since Thursday (I think). Just 3 miles at 9:48 pace but I think it knocked loose some congestion so I'm happy! Now to shower and get some rest so I can go work another 12 hour day tomorrow. (And neglect my blog for Sprinkles!) Wink

Damaris

Ball of Fury

Simon:  Nice speedwork! I usually find the middle intervals the easiest for whatever reason!

Banshee:  Welcome back!  Hope you are feeling better!

Roll:  Nice 6...hope your speedwork goes well!

Docket:  Nice 11!

Got my speedwork done on the TM this morning (we got about 4 inches snow last night)...4 x 1200M @ 7:13/mile pace with 400M recoveries.  Total 7 miles with wu and cd.  This was a pretty tough workout for me...legs just felt kinda dead and I am still just really tired from  yesterday, even though I slept 11 1/2 hours!  On the last interval, I wanted to quit so bad but I practiced my mental toughness (really trying to improve here!) and kept going!  I had 0.15 miles left to go and had that wonderful feeling of knowing I was going to make it.....and the damn TM shut off!!  I was so mad I think I yelled out loud...at least the gym wasn't very crowded.  Anyway, I did re-set it and finished the interval, it just lessened my feeling of accomplishment a bit!  Start the strength workouts next week and I am excited but scared all at the same time.  Have a great day Donuts!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Take it easy Cbus!

Tigerfan, I used to enjoy watching Detroit back in the Lou Whittaker-Alan Trammell- Kirk Gibson era, that was a great team.

Since I live just outside Toronto I follow the Jays, actually was at the first game where it snowed, but my enthusiasm was permanently cooled by the strike several years ago.

Glad you are back Banshee.

Nice medicated 11 Docket, most of us would have used that as an excuse!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

For the Chicago Marathon I purchased the Hansons' 20 week 60 - 80 mpw plan and I was reading through it and it looks really good.  With all this talk about warming up and getting the heart rate up before races, or intervals I noticed that on marathon day in this Hansons' plan they actually have a 1 mile warmup scheduled for just before the marathon.  I had never considered warming up before a marathon, thinking that the first miles would just be a warmup.  But of course if I did that, then those miles would be at a slower pace and I'd be spending the rest of the marathon distance trying to make that time back up.  (Does this mean that I'll be running an ultra on that day?  Joking )

onemile

Morning guys!

Warmups - yeah I used to think warming up was only for fast people but it does make a difference.  I don't know if I'll warm up on M day but I have for everything HM or shorter.  (a mile for a HM, and more for shorter distance races).

RV - are you going to type up that Hansons plan in your log? I'm interested in seeing it. I have to decide what plan to use for my fall marathon.  I think 80 is a bit high for me though. I would probably want something more in the 50-70 range.

Josh - sweet job on the tempo run!

Simon - I agree about the psychological factor making the last couple of intervals easier.  It's sort of daunting if you're thinking about how many you have to do in the beginning of the workout.

Damaris - nice job on the 11!

Banshee - glad you're feeling better!

Roll - nice pace for the 6.

Ami - great job on the 1200s. Ugh I remember those being hard.

I am planning to do my easy run from Monday today (I did my strength run on Monday instead and rest day yesterday).  I might tack on a mile or two if I feel good.

mdawg87

Good morning! SRD for me.  Cold and windy today in the ATL.  Hoping this is the last gasp of winter as we'll be back to our normal 60s for highs by the weekend.  Hope none of you are snowed in from the big winter storm.  Stay safe out there!

Intervals:  Just like the rest of you, my first interval seems so difficult, while the remaining seem to get easier.  Good to know the logic behind that.

Race warm-up:  I only warm up with a few strides to get the blood flowing.  Now if I raced shorter distances (5K or 10K), I probably would.  I usually don't have a problem going out at pace for a half or full marathon so there's no worry for me to make up any "warm up"  time on the back end.

Banshee:  I was thinking about you too.  Glad you are feeling better.

AmiK:  Oh that's so frustrating!  Been there myself.  You got it done.  That's all that matters.

Simon:  I'm the same way about baseball.  I can take it or leave it.  Down here it's just something to pass the time until football season starts.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

So I just checked my seeding (approval just now went through) for my goal HM and they put me in level 1 from my 48:42 10K, when I thought I needed to be less than 48:00!  So, I am super excited and it takes a bit of pressure off for the 10K Saturday, but I am still going to go for the sub 48!

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

My brother left yesterday--it was fun hanging out with him, but it's always sad to say goodbye. Today is day 2 of my rest. Does it mean anything that I'm not itching to go for a run? Usually, when I have to take a day or two off, due to a cold or something, I'm chomping at the bit to get back out there. But right now, I'm just content to rest. As if I'm on vacation. In fact, I feel like I'm on vacation.

Regarding warm ups, I totally agree. Like Onemile, I'm not sure I'd warm up for a marathon, but I do plan on warming up for my half. I also agree that being warmed up is what makes the latter intervals easier.

Lot's of great running going on here! Keep it up!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  5 recovery miles later.  I was coughing all night and then I realized it was probably the allergy shot coupled with the run.  Yay me.

It takes my asthma lungs 3-4 miles before I stop coughing so a warmup for a marathon is out of the question for me.

be back later!

Damaris

Morning!  5 recovery miles later.  I was coughing all night and then I realized it was probably the allergy shot coupled with the run.  Yay me.

It takes my asthma lungs 3-4 miles before I stop coughing so a warmup for a marathon is out of the question for me.

be back later!

In that case, if you ran 3-4 miles before the marathon, you wouldn't be coughing during the marathon!  Joking

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Regarding warm-up, I don't think I'd do for a marathon, but with my last Hm i did 1m warm-up before race and will do same on Saturday too. 1m cool-down after race too.

Hey all,

My brother left yesterday--it was fun hanging out with him, but it's always sad to say goodbye. Today is day 2 of my rest. Does it mean anything that I'm not itching to go for a run? Usually, when I have to take a day or two off, due to a cold or something, I'm chomping at the bit to get back out there. But right now, I'm just content to rest. As if I'm on vacation. In fact, I feel like I'm on vacation.

Regarding warm ups, I totally agree. Like Onemile, I'm not sure I'd warm up for a marathon, but I do plan on warming up for my half. I also agree that being warmed up is what makes the latter intervals easier.

Lot's of great running going on here! Keep it up!

Afternoon Donuts! Did not post this morning as when I got to work plant was closed on account of snow. Drove home. I can't believe they shutdown today. Snow was not too bad and has mostly melted now with it warming up. I kinda had a meltdown myself today as I was not happy with a snowstorm 3 days before my race. SRD today so that was likely culprit. Saturday can't get here soon enough.Smile #tapermadness

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Ball of Fury

Jedi:  Keep it together man!  Just a couple more days!

Donuts, I have a dumb question about seeding for my upcoming goal HM.  I submitted a 48:42 10K, which qualifies for preferred level, which is corrals D, E, and F (which are assigned based on registration date).  My plan had been to try to go under 48 this weekend, which qualifies for level 3 seeding, or corral C. The weird thing is, I checked my confirmation today and it says level 1, which is corral A.   You need a sub 40 for that corral, so obviously, it was a mistake.  I guess my question is, should I just leave it and move back to C (I don't see the point in me starting in A....that will just temp me to go out too fast!)?  Or, if I run a 47Tight lippedx Saturday, should I submit that?  I realize it's a dumb question that probably doesn't even matter, but just curious on the thoughts.