Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

Smashy!!!

Are you still receiving Graston treatments? I remember last time, you didn't report experiencing any pain during the treatments. Maybe, your PT isn't getting aggressive enough? I'd be suspicious if Graston treatments were not causing terror sweats.

Thanks for the positive thoughts guys!  I definitely think I still have fatigue from the race and I also think part of it is my ITB.  My entire right quad (especially the lateral portion) just feels like a gigantic bruise!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

Are you still receiving Graston treatments? I remember last time, you didn't report experiencing any pain during the treatments. Maybe, your PT isn't getting aggressive enough? I'd be suspicious if Graston treatments were not causing terror sweats.

Big grin

thanks for the reminder. I need to make an appt.

bagopux

Josh, To me, it doesn't take much to taper for a sub-marathon race.  I ran a 10-miler recently with almost no taper and it went great.  The race was on Saturday, and all I did was to swap my easy Wednesday run to Thursday and move my harder Thursday run back to Wednesday.  That's it.  I'm generally doing about 35-40 miles/week, with a lot of speed, LT and hills, but legs really felt fresh on race day.  So, you asked for people's personal experiences; that's mine, FWIW.  Best of luck on race day.

Ball of Fury

CBus:  I am but I haven't been in probably 2 weeks Sad. Definitely going to try to go tomorrow or Thursday...it's just been hard to get in there with my work schedule.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

onemile - took me a minute to figure out where to look, but looks good to me. I like to front load in beginning of week with Tuesday having some kind of quality to keep you sharp for race. 10m easy on Thursday seems a bit much to me, but I know this is only a tune-up and probably OK. Maybe 6-8m would be better. it's different for me since my HM was my  1A goal race.Smile

Jedi - it's next week - HM on the 24th.  I scrapped the MP run for that week and brought my mileage down a bit.  After your speedy half, easy runs sound like a good plan for the week.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

AmiK - maybe considering you just raced a 10k that this SOS felt tough. BIG reason i decided to take it easy this week. Still feeling it from my half on Saturday.

Ugh!  For those keeping score, it is Hanson strength workout 1, Ami 0!  I knew it was gonna be a tough one when my warm-up mile felt super difficult, but I thought my legs might come around if I just pushed through....um, no, no they didn't!  I was supposed to do 6 x 1 mile @ 7:50/mile (GHMP -10) with 400 M recoveries and I tried to do that, I really did, but my legs just weren't having it.  It took me until the 4th mile to even get close to 7:50/mile and truthfully, it felt like a 5K effort.  It was after that one, that I decided I was probably doing myself more harm than good, so I just ran 2.5 miles home at an easy pace (didn't feel easy though).  I know I made the right decision, but it is still disappointing!!

Indy:  Nice 7, hope you get your intervals done tomorrow!

Josh:  I am by no means an expert, but I would not do a 20-miler that close to a half...can you cut it to 16?

Nachos:  Sorry about the calf...I would absolutely go see a PT and talk to them about possible causes, exercises, and Graston!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

onemile

Yeah I could probably drop the 10 to an 8 and with my warmup for the HM still hit 50 for the week. I am being dumb but I didn't want it to be less than that.

onemile - took me a minute to figure out where to look, but looks good to me. I like to front load in beginning of week with Tuesday having some kind of quality to keep you sharp for race. 10m easy on Thursday seems a bit much to me, but I know this is only a tune-up and probably OK. Maybe 6-8m would be better. it's different for me since my HM was my  1A goal race.Smile

Josh I agree with the others, a 20 miler will take a lot out of you that close to the race. Unless you recover very quickly I would avoid that if you can.

Better run for me today, after the first decent night's sleep in a while- 10.7ish at 9ish pace. Maybe 400s tomorrow, mmmm.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

White Lightning

Thanks for the responses everyone.  I had a heart to heart with my legs on my recovery run today and we both decided that the marathon is priority and I'm going to leave the schedule as is and just see how I feel next Saturday   I don't want to sacrifice this week, especially my 20 miler,  as its really important to me to keep going strong.  Worst case I run the race as my GMP run which works out well with my schedule.  Best case is that most Saturday's so far my legs have felt pretty fresh so maybe I go harder, maybe I don't.  Even running at GMP gives me a PR.  I have a HM 6 weeks after my full scheduled in June and I'll go all out on that one.

Finished my 7 recovery miles very slow at 10:50 and only 59% HRR.  Very stiff quads and hips so need to get those stretched out tonight, i've been slacking on that front.  Really windy here again but at least most of the snow is melting.

Play the Game Hard!

Smashy!!!

Good morning donuts!

Todays a SRD. Yesterday's 4 easy went really well, and I felt great. I'm now thinking I'll resume the training plan next week. But I do plan on making some modifications.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Ball of Fury

Josh:  I am glad you and and your legs were able to come to a consensus!

CBus:  Enjoy SRD and glad to see you are back at it and feeling good!

I was planning to do an easy 5-6 this afternoon, but will have to see how I feel when I finally get out of here...looking like it will be around a 30 hour shift or so.  My legs feel a bit better but the lateral thigh is still pretty sore.  Going to make an PT appointment for tomorrow.   Have a great day Donuts!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

cbus - glad you're feeling better.

Josh - sounds like the right call

Simon - nice job on the 10

Amik - 30 hour shift? OMG

Rest day for me. I have a graston appointment tonight.

mdawg87

Good morning!  SRD for me.  Good thing as my parents are in town.  Yesterday was my Mom's 81st birthday and we all went out to celebrate.  I'm so glad my parents are energetic and independent in their 80s.  That's not very common with folks from their generation.

onemile:  Enjoy the torture!

cbus:  Good news on your run.  Glad the legs are coming around.

AmiK:  Hope the PT helps.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Good morning!  SRD for me.  Good thing as my parents are in town.  Yesterday was my Mom's 81st birthday and we all went out to celebrate.  I'm so glad my parents are energetic and independent in their 80s.  That's not very common with folks from their generation.

onemile:  Enjoy the torture!

cbus:  Good news on your run.  Glad the legs are coming around.

AmiK:  Hope the PT helps.

Smile

Rusk Runner

cbus - glad to hear you are coming around.

Josh - eyes on the prize, brotha!

Amik - havent worked shifts like that since retiring from the Navy

onemile - enjoy your rest? is graston rest?

mdawg - enjoy your visit. I get to go see mine in another 10 days.

simon - nice run.

my foam roller, stick, and other digging and rubbing implements have had some grimace producing sessions over the last two nights. I am happy to say that I woke up this morning with very little soreness anywhere in my left leg. 10 miles with 4X1000 @ 5K might make that leg reconsider things a little bit, but we will discuss that while its happening.

Where is Zoe!?

Happy Running everyone!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!