Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Sprinkles:  I was looking at Daniel's calculators earlier today (very slow day at work) and he said I could run a 3:35 off my 10K....I literally laughed out loud in here all by myself and then thought, "I must be crazy!"  And I am with you on the sick feeling....I pretty much always feel sick after a tough run or race!

Holy god.  My head just throbs.  I'm going to revisit the 3:39 idea in the fall.  I think maybe first I'll try to aim for sub 3-50.  Marathon is a new beast for me.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

White Lightning

Well that was about the dumbest thing I've done so far in training.  5.2 miles finished at 11:54.  Not sure what happened but the city hasn't been out to plow any sidewalks or paths yet.  I was dressed pretty good and not too cold even though it was 9F, just too much snow to break through to do anything worthwhile.  Not sure what i'm going to do with the rest of my miles, either get a few more on the TM or just do some strength training.

Play the Game Hard!

Ball of Fury

Me too...and my first one didn't go well at all!  I am running Monumental in November and thinking just sub 4, and then hoping to pick a spring marathon and go for the BQ (maybe Shamrock, but seems like it is often windy, and well, that's my achilles heel!).  We shall see!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Ball of Fury

Josh:  If that's the dumbest thing you have done in training...well, you are much smarter than me!  Hope you enjoy your TM miles.  Or strength training.

Rusk Runner

Sprinkles - Hydrate and fuel

Not trying to burst any bubbles here but you young ladies know that they have started to figure out that your BQ times are not as fast as they should be.  There was an article about this in runners world last week.  You may want to move fast towards that BQ if you want to get it at the current time limit.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Ball of Fury

Sprinkles - Hydrate and fuel

Not trying to burst any bubbles here but you young ladies know that they have started to figure out that your BQ times are not as fast as they should be.  There was an article about this in runners world last week.  You may want to move fast towards that BQ if you want to get it at the current time limit.

Yeah...read that one too!  I just don't think I can get there in November, but I guess you never know!

Rusk Runner

I will be pushing it for November myself, but I am going to try.  Either way I hope to be there to see you and DH cross the finish line at the Monumental.  I am not 100 percent sure that will be my goal race, but I am about 100 percent sure that I want it to be my goal race.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Ball of Fury

Well I have zero doubt you can be there at the finish to see us cross, because you will be way ahead!!  Wink

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Indiana...I read that too. to be completely honest, although Boston would rock, I am not obsessed with a BQ. I'm gonna go balls out in May and see how it goes. I doubt I can make it in before the next time shift, but hey,.. Maybe when I hit 35 or 40? I forget the cut offs.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Well that was about the dumbest thing I've done so far in training.  5.2 miles finished at 11:54.  Not sure what happened but the city hasn't been out to plow any sidewalks or paths yet.  I was dressed pretty good and not too cold even though it was 9F, just too much snow to break through to do anything worthwhile.  Not sure what i'm going to do with the rest of my miles, either get a few more on the TM or just do some strength training.

I did a half in those conditions last year and ran a similar pace...and then slid down hill on a space blanket. Good times. Treadmill it or call it. Either way.

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Indiana...I read that too. to be completely honest, although Boston would rock, I am not obsessed with a BQ. I'm gonna go balls out in May and see how it goes. I doubt I can make it in before the next time shift, but hey,.. Maybe when I hit 35 or 40? I forget the cut offs.

I read that article too.  I think the point of the study that the article summarized wasn't that BAA would be lowering times for women, but that the qualifying times for younger women are "easier" as a percentage of world record time than the qualifying times for older women, whereas for men the qualifying times are about 50% slower than WR times at all age groups.  I don't see BAA changing things in the next couple of years; they tightened things recently and staggered registration and that seems to have solved the pressing issue of overloaded registration, and as the article pointed out, the current times mean that the gender balance of the pool of all qualifiers is about 50-50, which seems to be important for the BAA.  At the end of the day, it is the BAA's race and they can do whatever they want with it.

I'd like to qualify, just to say I've done it.  It is one of those generalized running goals that I have, but it isn't something that I'm charging at.  But in my case, it has to be a goal for some time in the indeterminate future, because hitting a 3:05 will be a couple of years of work away, yet.  So I might need the extra five minutes I'll get in 3 years.  (Sprinkles, open is 18-34, then you get 5 additional minutes at both 35 and 40, and then 10 minutes at 45).

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Congrats Sprinkles!

Quick note, ran the Shamrock Half today in VA Beach. Cold amd windy but still managed a 1:43:11 for a new half PR. More whenI get to a real computer Smile

Congrats, Dreamn!!  Fantastic time!

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Indi - don't swim upstream, it's what Salmon do to die. weather and body say don't then....

sprinkles/dream - good thing it was cold out or your shoes woulda caught on fire With those times. donuts!!!!

me - ran 2 miles with my 9 yr old (first time). he turned for the house and I kept going for 4 more. It was the hardest 6 mile run I have had in years between the 85 degrees, humidity, and 20/25 mph winds. I set out for 9 and turned in at 6 which is uncharacteristic of me. But, I was able to do 2 with my oldest son so it was well worth it.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I read that article too.  I think the point of the study that the article summarized wasn't that BAA would be lowering times for women, but that the qualifying times for younger women are "easier" as a percentage of world record time than the qualifying times for older women, whereas for men the qualifying times are about 50% slower than WR times at all age groups.  I don't see BAA changing things in the next couple of years; they tightened things recently and staggered registration and that seems to have solved the pressing issue of overloaded registration, and as the article pointed out, the current times mean that the gender balance of the pool of all qualifiers is about 50-50, which seems to be important for the BAA.  At the end of the day, it is the BAA's race and they can do whatever they want with it.

I'd like to qualify, just to say I've done it.  It is one of those generalized running goals that I have, but it isn't something that I'm charging at.  But in my case, it has to be a goal for some time in the indeterminate future, because hitting a 3:05 will be a couple of years of work away, yet.  So I might need the extra five minutes I'll get in 3 years.  (Sprinkles, open is 18-34, then you get 5 additional minutes at both 35 and 40, and then 10 minutes at 45).

Yeah- I don't know the science of it, as I skimmed the article...I think the answer is to lower the percentage of charity runners that get into Boston in order to expand the field for more people who are time qualified.  I do think 3:05 and 3:35 seem to be really far apart, even if there is a gender gap.  I think it should be more like 3:15 and 3:35.  I know a lot of women who go under 3:35 but not that many guys who go under 3:05 - I would say it would be more like a woman running a 3:25 or lower, or maybe 3:20.

Roll- thanks!

onemile

Woohoo, super race Dreamn!  Very nice time. Congrats!!

Decided to extend my 16 to 18 today.  It felt alright.  67.4 for the week. A new weekly PR.  Now time to cut back a little for my HM next Sunday.