Sub-4 Marathon Group

March 2013 (Read 56 times)

Can someone explain the sail/beer cooler joke? I don't get it.

She said the conditions would be windy and wanted to know what to wear. A sail (for the wind) makes it easy to travel long distances. The beer cooler because some have wheels, a handle (for steering) and hopefully......beer (for fun).

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Ball of Fury

Ugh...crappy tempo this afternoon!  From the very beginning, it just seemed like I was working so hard to get to GHMP and by mile 5, it literally felt like 5K effort so I bagged it!  2 mile warm-up, 5 mile tempo (7:59/mile), and 3 mile cool-down for 10 total.  I don't know if I ran my easy miles too fast yesterday or I was just tired, or what..just one of those days!  I will say I tried to run in shorts (it was 40 and sunny, but windy) and my legs were pretty freezing the whole time!  Next time, I will wear capris.

One mile:  Not to complicate your clothing dilemma, but see above!  Either way, good luck tomorrow!

CBus:  Yuck...hope you feel better soon.

Josh:  Good luck to you tomorrow as well!

Jedi:  Sorry about the bad run yesterday but nice 10 today!

Roll:  Nice 6...85 degrees?  That's just nuts!  We are supposed to get a snowstorm this weekend Disapprove

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Can this be over?  Because somebody must've cursed me.

Went from feeling crappy to feeling great so I'm doing the race.

Had lunch with DH taking advantage that he is now working in Broward close to where I go to court.

Kicked ass in court and had a great result.

But then....

Come home to find Trixie had vomited again (5 times) and had to rush her to the vet.

Waiting for the results to see if she has a serious illness.

Race be damn.  I need my baby healthy.  Please send some good vibes.

Damaris

Roll:  Nice 6...85 degrees?  That's just nuts!  We are supposed to get a snowstorm this weekend Disapprove

I almost felt bad posting it but then I ran in it. It's almost like the polar opposite of what you guys are dealing with.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Good vibes, Docket.  I know how scary it is when your pets are sick.  I'm hugging my pup right now thinking of you.

RIght calf is tight, left calf is better.  Back to training tomorrow!  Hopefully all goes well and I can bust out the 8 miles on the schedule tomorrow and then 14 on Sunday.  I doubt I will run with a garmin either day- I just want to get the miles in and will probably use my phone GPS for those purposes just because I've been off pretty much all week and my legs are tight and sore and don't want to feel crappy if I run slowly.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Hi all.  Sorry to be MIA this week; work and life got busy, but I have been able to keep up with my erratic running plan.

Good vibes are being sent your way, Docket.

Onemile:  Good luck with your race!  I'm a wimp with cold, so I usually wear tights when it is under 40 with wind, or under freezing without wind.  Though my tights are light/mid-weight ones, because I don't have to run in super-cold temps.

Josh:  Good luck with your race, too!  Smash it!

Cbus: Hope the cold gets better. I was knocked flat with one two weeks ago and it wasn't fun.

Ami: Some times these things happen.  I'd just chalk it up to a bad day, with winter dragging on too long, etc, and simply look forward to having a better run next time out.

Hope your calves are better, Sprinkles!

Me: 9.1 @ 8:26 this evening.  46 and windy, but clear.  Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer (i.e. 50 or so), and then it supposed to be cold and rainy for the first part of next week.  I feel sorry for all of the tourists who are thronging DC to see the cherry blossoms, of which there are zilch this year so far because of the cold.  This time last year they were already at their peak.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Awww, thanks, guys.

After many hours and $700, good news (somewhat)!  She has dehydration!  So, nothing major like pancreatitis or things like that.  DH will observe her tomorrow and if she vomits again, she'll go back, but hopefully she won't need to.  Everything on the test came back normal.

Damaris

Rusk Runner

Docket - Good vibes sent your way.  Hope things get better.

Onemile - Good Luck this weekend.

Me - Had the funeral today and got 6 miles this evening.  Leg felt okay but not perfect.  HR a bit high.  Will be taking it slow and easy on Sunday's long run.  Sorry for the short post.  Its been a hell of a week.  Gotta get some sleep, I am driving to Pensacola starting at about 0400.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

onemile

The forecast for tomorrow's race is now 34* with a 50-60% chance of snow and 15-17mph winds. Awesome. If I could, I would do the half next weekend instead (there is one I am planning to do as a supported LR). But I already skipped my Thursday MP run to do this so I guess I don't have a choice. So that means 3-4 easy miles today.

Amik - thanks. I am sorta leaning toward light tights now.  Ugh.  

Damaris - good thoughts to Trixie

Rollcast - I wish we could split the difference and have a nice 50 degrees. I think everyone could be happy then.

Sprinkles - hope the calf cooperates!

Flinders - nice 9 miler!

Indi  - good luck on the LR and safe travels.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Well, I had to DNS my ultra.  I dressed and was about to leave when Trixie vomited again.  So, she is now hospitalized.  Best decision I made, since she is ill and I don't want to receive a phone call mid ultra about her going worse or something.

I'll run tonight if I can.  Need to rearrange my schedule since I won't need any more recovery.  Oh, and to look for an April ultra.

Jenny, good luck!!!!!!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sorry about the death in the family.  Your week and my week have sucked.  We need next week to start already!

Docket - Good vibes sent your way.  Hope things get better.

Onemile - Good Luck this weekend.

Me - Had the funeral today and got 6 miles this evening.  Leg felt okay but not perfect.  HR a bit high.  Will be taking it slow and easy on Sunday's long run.  Sorry for the short post.  Its been a hell of a week.  Gotta get some sleep, I am driving to Pensacola starting at about 0400.

Damaris

mdawg87

Good morning!  The TM it was this morning.  It's pouring outside and will continue until late afternoon.  Ran 7 at 9:15 pace plus a w/u and c/d.  Total of around 7.5 miles.  Hoping I can get my 6 in outside tomorrow.  Storms supposed come in tonight too.

onemile:  Bummer on the forecast.  It wouldn't be too bad without the wind I'm guessing.  That's what always affects me the most.

docket:  Hope Trixie gets better soon.  Kitty healing vibes sent your way.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

DetroitTigerFan

Hope everyone's weekend is off to a good start.  Good luck to any racers. There are no bouncy pony tails in Michigan right now - first week of spring is still winter here and was 20 degrees this morning. I need at least 40 degrees to start training on the dirt running in the trails for my half in May. Looks like i'm going to have to train there every weekend in April and May.  Will try to post more later - i had 2 questions for now:

- is there anyway reasonable way to simulate running in humidity ? (my race in May always ends up being the first humid day of the year - lol and was just curious if there were training techniques to do when it stilll flipping 25 degrees and dry here - lol)

- when you upload you data and asks to rate quality by 10 stars, how do you measure that ?

In other words, let's say you run a 10 mile route - it is flat and fast and clear, but you have a bad day running.  Is that a 10 star quality since its a good course or is it low star since the quality of how you feel your workout went was poor ? (i think its the latter but please let me know how you interpret that metric)

thanks and more later  !

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Look for a raise in dewpoint rather than humidity.  Humidity is not bad, dewpoint is what runners should fear.  Do you have areas that have fog?  Run during that time.  The only thing that can simulate is to dress with 5 layers of clothing, wrap yourself in plastic, cover your head with a plastic bag, and try to run that way (although that won't even match how is it here).  Either that, or go to a jungle or Miami.

Hope everyone's weekend is off to a good start.  Good luck to any racers. There are no bouncy pony tails in Michigan right now - first week of spring is still winter here and was 20 degrees this morning. I need at least 40 degrees to start training on the dirt running in the trails for my half in May. Looks like i'm going to have to train there every weekend in April and May.  Will try to post more later - i had 2 questions for now:

- is there anyway reasonable way to simulate running in humidity ? (my race in May always ends up being the first humid day of the year - lol and was just curious if there were training techniques to do when it stilll flipping 25 degrees and dry here - lol)

- when you upload you data and asks to rate quality by 10 stars, how do you measure that ?

In other words, let's say you run a 10 mile route - it is flat and fast and clear, but you have a bad day running.  Is that a 10 star quality since its a good course or is it low star since the quality of how you feel your workout went was poor ? (i think its the latter but please let me know how you interpret that metric)

thanks and more later  !

Damaris

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Morning, everyone.

Docket: Hope your cat is ok!!!  Good vibes are again being sent your way!

Onemile:  Good luck tomorrow!  I had it in my mind that you were racing today.

Indy:  Safe travels on your drive to Pensacola.

mdawg: Nice run, even if on the TM!

DTF:  For simulating humidity, I guess you could overdress on runs.  Generally what is taxing about humidity is that it impairs your body's ability to cool itself through sweat and evaporation, so an extra layer of clothes could do the same thing.  I haven't tried it, though; our racing season is pretty much over by mid-May when the humidity starts to get higher, so I'm only ever training in humidity, not trying to race in it.

On the star ratings: I don't use them all that often, and probably have given up on them, but when I did, I usually rated how I felt during the run (that way I can go back through my data and look at it).  My problem with the stars is that I have no consistent way of rating a run.  For example, is a routine run a 5?  That is, nothing out of the ordinary, just putting in the miles on a regular day.  What if it is in July during a heat wave and I'm running at 4:30am and the pavement is radiating retained heat or conversely if it is January and cold and miserable?  The latter two are routine for their times of year, so are they 5s?  Or do you discount for weather effects on how you feel?  That is why I have pretty much given up using the stars.  If the run is amazing because of weather, scenery, &c., I tend to use the notes field to comment on it.  Or I just comment about it here, and that suffices.

Me: 10.74 this morning @8:30.  I woke up feeling blah but I forced myself out the door and once the first stiff, creaky mile was done, I had a great run.  it was 40 and windy, but perfectly clear.  It would be a beautiful spring day were it 15-20 degrees warmer.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33