Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Ball of Fury

Hi Donuts!

Indy:  You are seriously the only person I "know" that gets up and runs even earlier than I do....nice job!  Is your marathon in Bloomington?  I would guess it's fairly hilly?

Onemile:  Good luck with your MP miles and then enjoy the 4 easy days!

Josh:  I hope you don't mind but I thought of a couple other things regarding weight loss...these are just things that helped me when I was on my weight loss journey!  I absolutely agree with Akalei about eating 5-6 times/day...I really think it helps.  I also found that eating about 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fats (obviously all of the above from healthy sources) was best for me in terms of weight loss (especially the last 10 lbs or so), but you may need to increase the carbs a bit to keep up with marathon training.  Lastly, do you do weight training at all?  I found the biggest changes in my body fat % and just overall appearance to be when I was doing weight training at least 3x/week.  Not only does it help with strength, the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolic rate.  Sorry if I am butting in or giving unwelcome advice, I just know how hard it was for me to lose 70 lbs and just thought I would share some things that worked!

Docket:  Enjoy court and your SRD or recovery run.  Hope to meet you Sunday!

CMB:  Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Banshee:  Nice speed workout and congrats on the Altra ambassadorship!  I LOVE Ink and Burn, but haven't wanted to spend the money.

MDawg:  Nice elliptical workout and I hope your treatment goes well tomorrow.

Akalei:  Enjoy the milkshake and the run to burn it off!

Last run at home for me before the marathon.  I did 5 miles @ 10:06 average.  Felt really good during the run, but then I went to the chiro and wow, my hip hates me right now!  Foam rolling and ibuprofen are in my future!  Getting excited about Sunday, but still concerned about the heat (promise I will stop whining about it now!).  In an ironic twist, the weather here this weekend will be perfect running weather but as of now, it is looking like start temps of almost 70 at 5:30 AM Sunday Angry

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The new version comes with pink colors.

Good morning!  1 hour of elliptical and stretching at the gym this morning.  I'm able to wear my normal shoes to work today.  I did wear my lowest pair of heels though.  I also brought my Sauconys with me just in case too!  I have a slight bruise on the inside of my calf and the areas are slightly tender to the touch, but that's all.  I think I'll be good to go for another session on Friday.

Thanks for all the good thoughts and vibes!  The real test will come when I run a couple of miles sometime next week.  Trying not to get too excited, but the results so far are better than I could've hoped for.

Zoe:  I thought about you last night when he started using the "boomerang" tool you described on my calf.  I'm going to ask about my left calf too on Friday.  It's fine now, but had a similar issue that put me on IR for Chicago.  I'm sure there's adhesions on that side too.

Sprinkles:  Meant to comment on your figure skating diet post, but forgot.  You should be commended for being strong enough not to fall into that trap.  That's a real mind game with body image especially when you combine it with a competitive sport.  Kudos to you!

cbus/docket:  I wanted to try the Elixers, but the women's colors were FL Gator orange and blue.  Never gonna happen in this UGA house!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, AmiK!  See you soon.

Although I have lost weight via other methods, the only way I can eat anything I want without counting calories and worrying is bu being a vegetarian so that is what I have been since April.  It helps my asthma so not sure of when or even if I will stop.

When I counted calories, I only lost when I was eating above 1700 and I had to add the running calories because otherwise I would not lose or even gain weight.

Damaris

Trail Monster

Banshee:  Nice speed workout and congrats on the Altra ambassadorship!  I LOVE Ink and Burn, but haven't wanted to spend the money.

If you've never ordered from them before you can create an account and then type my name (sarabrunazzi) into the discount code box for 15% off your first order. (And I don't get anything for that so please don't think I'm being pushy!) Smile

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Trail Monster

Hi, AmiK!  See you soon.

Although I have lost weight via other methods, the only way I can eat anything I want without counting calories and worrying is bu being a vegetarian so that is what I have been since April.  It helps my asthma so not sure of when or even if I will stop.

When I counted calories, I only lost when I was eating above 1700 and I had to add the running calories because otherwise I would not lose or even gain weight.

I really want to try vegetarian but I'm so lame. I never cook or prepare the food in our house really. My DH is pretty much in charge of the kitchen which means I eat whatever he makes. I really need to work on that.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Ball of Fury

Aww...thanks!

If you've never ordered from them before you can create an account and then type my name (sarabrunazzi) into the discount code box for 15% off your first order. (And I don't get anything for that so please don't think I'm being pushy!) Smile

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

On Altra or inknburn?  If inknburn I would be so jealous!  Although I didn't apply for the ambassadorship.

Damaris

Rusk Runner

Amik - Those running times have just become a normal part of the routine now.  I dont much think about it anymore.  The marathon will be in Evansville, and it is somewhat hilly.  I ran a half in Bloomington and you better believe it was hilly.  Fun but hilly.  Hope you enjoy your travel, vacation, and race!  Make it a positive experience no matter what.

CMB - Glad to hear you are feeling better.  A good run in the brisk morning air, lots of snot rockets, and a hacking fit in the driveway, should clear you right up.  Worked for me.  Its one of the benefits of running at 3 in the morning.  Nobody has to see me doing all this stuff.  The full impact of a good snot rockt can only truly be appreciated through the beam of a good headlamp in the dark of night.  Its amazing the amount of stuff that comes flying out of there.

Banshee - Tried on some altras.  They wont work for me right now.  Cant put an aftermarket insert in them.  Bummer, as I think they feel pretty darn nice.  I will have to continue to covet the Pureflow 2s.

I have discovered a couple of local trails that I am going to try out within the next month or two.  One of them is supposed to be 12 miles long.  Looking forward to it.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 4 tempo @ 8:50, with 2 wu and 2 cd, for 8 total. There was lots of "black ice" on the paths today, and I ended up falling down. I swear the Elixir has less traction than the Precision/Rider. As for the Elixir itself, I like the shoe a lot, and it will replace the Precision for sure. As for whether the stability takes the pressure off the knees--jury's still out. It may help, but the stability in the Elixir is so minimal, I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I may pick up a pair of Inspires soon.

Re Indi's late night running. It's been a bone of contention in this group whether Indi gets up early or runs late at night.

+1 to Onemile: there's no substitute for Graston.

Glad to hear many of your are on the mend. Glad to hear our Disney racers are getting psyched.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Trail Monster

On Altra or inknburn?  If inknburn I would be so jealous!  Although I didn't apply for the ambassadorship.

INB. I'll have a 20% discount code from Altra to share whenever they decide to give it to me. And again, it won't get me anything. Smile

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

All this talk of Altra is making me want to pull them out of retirement again.

Damaris

Trail Monster

Why not? You totally would have gotten it!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Trail Monster

Indy, love trail running! Wish I had a 12 mile one nearby! Sorry the Altras won't work for you. I really do love the materials and construction. They are good quality but so are lots of shoes.

Wow Cbus, nice 8! I are you doing Hanson plan? If so that means 8:50 is your GMP? That's crazy! I'm thinking of targeting 9:40-9:45. Still reading the book and trying to absorb what the pacing strategies are though.

Damaris, I didn't love my first pair of Altras (The Intuition). I started using them as a walking shoe instead but once I got used to the shape and feel I really liked them. Then I got the Superiors and took out the rock plate (I love that they have a removable rock plate!) and it was love at first or second run. It's taken me 3-4 months to transition over entirely and my calves are still sore after long runs but I feel like my calves are much stronger now too.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Smashy!!!

Wow Cbus, nice 8! I are you doing Hanson plan? If so that means 8:50 is your GMP? That's crazy! I'm thinking of targeting 9:40-9:45. Still reading the book and trying to absorb what the pacing strategies are though.

Banshee, I am on the Hansons plan, but it's their half plan, no the full. All the elements are the same, but the distances are shorter (obviously). The pacing is very confusing because on the plan (available on the web), it says to do the Tempos at GP and the Strength at GP - :10--and that sounds just insane to me. So instead, I'm using the full paces that are based on my most recent half PR. If I were training for a full, I'm not sure 8:50 would be GP (probably 9:00). But since I'm training for a half right now, I'm okay with training at slightly faster paces. Come MRT in the summer, I'll reevaluate.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Trail Monster

Makes sense. I just got to that chapter of the book this morning and according to their charts I think I can safely target 9:40-45 pace. I've been entirely focused on breaking 4:30 for the full but now that I'm so close (4:33:45) it seems like I should be able to do 4:20-ish if I keep training like I have been and stay healthy. Do you think that's too much of a jump?

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop