Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice job on your runs, everybody!

I did 3 miles today.  So much for that SRD.

Damaris

Rusk Runner

Docket the Maniac!  I suffer through pangs of anxiety during SRDs.  I vary rarely succomb to them and put on my running shoes.  Sometimes the guilt hangs over me and I throw in an extra mile or two during a scheduled run.  Most of the time I listen to common sense and just rest.  Its funny that this is even an issue isnt it?

4 scheduled recovery miles tonight.  Will probably do 5 (see above).

Sprinkles - what pace are you running your tempos at?  if you dont mind my asking, what is your GMP?

Jedi - Intense training log and calender.  You da Man!

Cbus - You up for a late night 11 tomorrow/tonight?  Say 2:50ish?  Hint: Dont watch Horror movies when you run these hours.  The psychological impact is detrimental to your heart rate.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

onemile

Morning guys.  SRD for me. I'm pretty good about taking my rest days as scheduled.  I do often add a little extra to my scheduled runs though if I can get away with it.

akalei

Morning, all.  Impromptu SRD for me (doesn't really make sense, does it?).  Was going to run 6 at lunch today, rest tomorrow, but we got a bunch of sleet and stuff last night, so I'm pretty certain the path along the river is covered in ice.  I don't want to take the time to get ready and head down there at lunch to find out I'm right, so I'm just swapping.

Jedi: I've heard good things about RNR VaB.  My mom ran it a few years back (when she was the runner and I was a chubby bum) and loved it.  Some people really don't like the RNR races, but I always enjoy them.  Granted, I wasn't running the Philly Distance Run--I think that's what it was called--before RNR took over, and I'm fine with expecting a crowd when I go.  I can see why some people might be unhappy for that reason.  But I'm always happy with all the free stuff I end up with.  Last year I had like a month's supply of granola and LARABARS after the expo Smile  If I don't get a BQ at Wineglass, I'm thinking Shamrock will be another shot for me, too!  What's your BQ?  Sorry, I only know mine well.

Josh: will do! Glad you liked the sweet potato & bb enchiladas!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Tell me about it.  They were painless though.  And I like to do a very slow run to get things moving post marathon.  I just never like to do it the day AFTER the marathon.  Those days are for massages.

Docket the Maniac!  I suffer through pangs of anxiety during SRDs.  I vary rarely succomb to them and put on my running shoes.  Sometimes the guilt hangs over me and I throw in an extra mile or two during a scheduled run.  Most of the time I listen to common sense and just rest.  Its funny that this is even an issue isnt it?

4 scheduled recovery miles tonight.  Will probably do 5 (see above).

Sprinkles - what pace are you running your tempos at?  if you dont mind my asking, what is your GMP?

Jedi - Intense training log and calender.  You da Man!

Cbus - You up for a late night 11 tomorrow/tonight?  Say 2:50ish?  Hint: Dont watch Horror movies when you run these hours.  The psychological impact is detrimental to your heart rate.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  SRD for me unless I have time and good weather to run.  DH and I are going to Cirque du Soleil's Totem show so I don't have time to run.  Good. Otherwise, I might do a PB week a week post marathon.  Sheesh.

Hope everybody has a great day.  I'm off at noon so I gotta work.

Damaris

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

GMP right now is 8:30-8:45

The pfitz runs right now are at 15k-HMP.  15k pace is 8:10, which also happens to be Goal Half pace.

I'd like to break 3:50 and then 3:45 this year if possible.

My tempos will be around 8:00 I think...the internets says 7:50 but I think that's just hilarious.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

bagopux

Morning, all.  Impromptu SRD for me (doesn't really make sense, does it?).  

I'm thinkin ISRD = URD.

On DC RnR, I ran it twice before it was RnR (2007 & 2008)  and thought it was a really good race.  It was staged at RFK, but I don't think the Mall would be a logistical nightmare as long as the metro is open.  Both times I ran we metro'd to RFK and it was great, and my support crew (a/k/a gf) was able to metro around the course.  The course was relatively easy with just a few hills, and the part on the water in the back half was just plain flat and fast.  I broke 4 hrs easily both times (3:53 & 3:48).  The weather was very nice both times.

This year's course looks similar to '07 and '08 except shifted to account for a different start point.  But the end is the same: flat & fast.  Its a good track to negative split.  (I've never negative split a marathon but those two races were two of my best in terms of front/back split.)

cmb4314

Morning!

Got in my 9 w/5x1000 @ 5k pace this morning on the treadmill since it snowed overnight.  This worked out well because now I have my run done, missed the worst of the morning post-snow traffic and will miss the worst of the afternoon traffic as well since I'll leave work late.  I only lost 5-10 minutes on my commute, which is great for the morning after a snow - usually it takes me about 35 extra minutes.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Not big fan of RnR but will run them if it fits schedule. Running RnR Philly in fall as tune-up for Philly full. Just because it's a flat and fast course mostly. My BQ time is 3:15 right now and Spring'14 last shot in that AG for me. Hoping  a solid year this year will put me in a good position next spring to take a shot at it. Fall'14 depending on fall race it will be BQ year for 2016 race (if Boston'15 full) and be in next AG where I only need a 3:25. Really like to do it in my current AG but we shall see.

Jedi: I've heard good things about RNR VaB.  My mom ran it a few years back (when she was the runner and I was a chubby bum) and loved it.  Some people really don't like the RNR races, but I always enjoy them.  Granted, I wasn't running the Philly Distance Run--I think that's what it was called--before RNR took over, and I'm fine with expecting a crowd when I go.  I can see why some people might be unhappy for that reason.  But I'm always happy with all the free stuff I end up with.  Last year I had like a month's supply of granola and LARABARS after the expo Smile  If I don't get a BQ at Wineglass, I'm thinking Shamrock will be another shot for me, too!  What's your BQ?  Sorry, I only know mine well. 

SRD for me today considering been about 12 days since I took a RD and wintery mix last nite has roads all icy this morning. i got in a 20min spin and some strength/core. I have some cruise intervals on schedule tomorrow, so good day for RD.

Damaris - I knew you would run yesterday.Smile

indiana - nice recovery run

aka - enjoy SRD

bag - probably won't run RnR DC again. being set-up on Mall just seems like not as good to RFK to me. I've run MCM too and try to avoid m if I have to.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

mdawg87

Good morning!  Tried another test run on direction from the sports doc this morning.  Got one mile in again before things started to feel wonky.  Good news is it's better than last week.  The ankle area is where the tightness began and it moved up a little before I shut it down.  I consider that a victory as last week it tightened right back up just like it did when I pulled/tore it 3 weeks before.

Both he and I knew it wasn't going to be totally successful when I was doing the hop on one leg test last night.  I could feel it a little then so I was prepared for the run to not be pain free.  I go back Thursday to give my report and take the next treatment step.  I was told to be prepared for "homework".  Oh boy...

Anyway, abs, 1 mile plus an additional 20 minutes of TM walking, and stretching this morning at the gym.

SRDs are "uncomfortable" days for me.  By that I mean that I just don't feel right.  I guess it's because I don't have all those post workout endorphins flowing.  That said, I do take them and don't add any miles to other days.

Indy:  I thought of you last night when I woke up around 2:30 am.  I figured you were up and getting ready to run.  I then promptly went back to sleep!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

onemile

cmb - that's the same workout I did last night!  nice job getting it out of the way in the morning!

mdwag - sounds like it's improving slowly. I hope it continues to get better!

jedi - spin plus core strength? wow, I usually do nothing but walk the dog on my rest days Smile

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

SRD. I came down with a cold Mondayish, so I'm hoping this day of rest will have me ready for tomorrow's Tempo. Went to Graston today, and my regular doc was out. This doc did the Graston, but it didn't feel painful at all. I kept asking her if it should hurt, and she kept saying, "Not necessarily." I dunno, I was kinda bummed/suspicious.

I compared the Hansons' half-marathon plan with the Beginner marathon plan, and there is not that much difference mileage-wise (the main difference is the LR, obviously). So, I think when MRT comes around this summer, I'm gonna do the Advanced plan instead.

Indi, sorry bro, you're on your own! Watch out for zombies!

Onemile, I didn't think of the intervals getting longer! I was just happy to have the set of 12 over. For some reason, doing 12 intervals seems more daunting than 3X1mi. But the target pace of my Speed workouts is 7:43, so I'm not running them as hard as you.  Regarding shoes: my regular chiro always comments on how my adhesions are all around the knees, and not up the hip. I'm wondering if this has to do with a lack of support. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Mdawg, hang in there! It sounds like you are making progress, albeit slowly. So take courage.

Jedi, how do you get your log entry to list a run as "Warmup/cooldown"? Do you have to enter the intervals, and name it there? Never mind, I figured it out.

Great runs everyone!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Cbus, I got the new Elixirs and Mushas.  Will report tomorrow on the Elixirs.  Feel better.

damn SRD....

Damaris

onemile

When I get Graston I want it to hurt so I know it's working!  If it didn't hurt I would be suspicious too!  Hopefully your reg doc will be there next time.

Why are you doing your intervals so slow?  I thought they were supposed to be at 5k race pace.  Even if you are using a more conservative GMP, I would think you would still want to do the VO2 Max work at your real 5k pace.  Which I would assume is the same as mine or faster.

And If you think of it this way, you are doing 3 miles of intervals each time, but with the 12x400s, you get recoveries that are equal to the interval.  But when you do 1000s and you get only 400 for recovery, it's less than half the interval length.  And I'm really dreading the 3x1 mile! But I have a hard time running 5k pace outside of a race.  (well I guess inside of a race it's hard too)

Hey all,

SRD. I came down with a cold Mondayish, so I'm hoping this day of rest will have me ready for tomorrow's Tempo. Went to Graston today, and my regular doc was out. This doc did the Graston, but it didn't feel painful at all. I kept asking her if it should hurt, and she kept saying, "Not necessarily." I dunno, I was kinda bummed/suspicious.

Onemile, I didn't think of the intervals getting longer! I was just happy to have the set of 12 over. For some reason, doing 12 intervals seems more daunting than 3X1mi. But the target pace of my Speed workouts is 7:43, so I'm not running them as hard as you.  Regarding shoes: my regular chiro always comments on how my adhesions are all around the knees, and not up the hip. I'm wondering if this has to do with a lack of support. I guess I'll find out soon enough.