Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

cmb4314

Morning!  12 easy tonight, I'm going to strap on the headlamp and brave the 15 degree temperatures.  Hopefully the paths won't be too slippery.  It was originally supposed to be a rest day, but I'm going to futz around with my plan this week so I can run my 18 w/14 at MP on Saturday when the weather is functional for running, and hole up on the treadmill for an easy recovery run on Sunday when it's stupid cold.

Josh - I actually essentially skipped the first week of the Pfitz plan, because I had a HM on that Saturday and I wanted to taper significantly for it, and use it as a really good measure of my fitness.  And as it turned out I got a cold that week and skipped even more miles than I had intended trying to heal up for the race.  I figured that really, there was nothing in those first couple of weeks of Pfitz that I hadn't done week in, week out for months at that point, and it wouldn't impact my overall training plan much at all to just short change that week a bit.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Last night I felt absolutely terrible, and I still feel sick today, so it's an URD (Or as Akalei would say: an impromptu rest day). I'm hoping I'm better by tomorrow, but I kinda doubt it--we'll see.

Jedi, I was just observing that a Speed workout which is 3 miles of intervals @ 5K race pace is basically a 5K race every week--isn't it? Okay, okay, I know that having rest intervals doesn't make it a 5K race, but still.

Darkstreets, I'd just focus on the purpose of taper: to get recovered for your race. So, I wouldn't intentionally run slow, but I also wouldn't burn my energy on runs to boost my ego. I'd run hard enough to keep everything fresh, but not so hard that I waste my legs. Like they say in baseball, don't use it all in the bullpen. Just remember that you can't do anything during taper to improve your race, but you can do a whole lot to hurt it.

Ami, I'd recommend looking at the Hansons half-marathon plan. It's online, not in the book. Even if you give yourself two days off a week, I think the workouts would give you pretty good preparation. I've looked at the Ryan Hall plan, and this is just my opinion, but I thought it was pretty flimsy.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I ran 4 recovery miles on my new Elixirs 8.  Report below,Cbus!

AmiK, buy the other Pfitz book and that has HM training programs you can check out.

Elixirs Report:  I ran on the Elixirs' 8 today (the female version, although I also bought the men's).  They felt heavier than the 7s (although I heard they are the same weight) and they felt tougher (especially around the ankles).  Overall, they felt more like the Wave Rider 16s than the old Elixirs, in terms that they feel like a trainer rather than a racer.  Overall, I love them although they have a different feel.  They now feel like my multiple marathon shoe for me.  Having said that, my legs might still be tired from the marathon so take this with a grain of salt, LOL.

Damaris

Smashy!!!

Elixirs Report:  I ran on the Elixirs' 8 today (the female version, although I also bought the men's).  They felt heavier than the 7s (although I heard they are the same weight) and they felt tougher (especially around the ankles).  Overall, they felt more like the Wave Rider 16s than the old Elixirs, in terms that they feel like a trainer rather than a racer.  Overall, I love them although they have a different feel.  They now feel like my multiple marathon shoe for me.  Having said that, my legs might still be tired from the marathon so take this with a grain of salt, LOL.

The 8 has the exact same platform as the 7. The only changes are in the upper. So, I'm gonna chalk this up to the fact that you ran a marathon on Sunday...

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

The 8 has the exact same platform as the 7. The only changes are in the upper. So, I'm gonna chalk this up to the fact that you ran a marathon on Sunday...

^This

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

cbus - I disagree. When you switch to strength workouts you are running 6m. Just think part of plan and doing 3m in a speed workout with rest intervals different than racing a 5k imo.

Jedi, I was just observing that a Speed workout which is 3 miles of intervals @ 5K race pace is basically a 5K race every week--isn't it? Okay, okay, I know that having rest intervals doesn't make it a 5K race, but still.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Rusk Runner

akalei - I am now able to get the pure flow 2's at a reduced price.  Had to buy a pair to place in the rotation.  I am terrible.  When DW finds out...

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

TriciaRuns

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Hi Damaris!  You guys move pretty fast in here (conversation wise) so bear with me for a while.

Today I ran 6 easy paced miles. my legs were pretty trashed from the hills yesterday.  No pain just tired.  I'm looking forward to my 4 recovery miles tomorrow.

-Tricia

PRs

26:32 - 5k

53:16 - 10k

1:58:47 - HM

Okay, so I looked at the Hansons book again, and it looks like I've got to adjust my training paces. Onemile and Jedi, like you guys said, the paces they give for the Speed are suggestions, and they do say go with a race. But something about racing a 5k every week seems crazy to me--am I alone here? In any case, it looks like I've got to run them faster.

As far as the other workouts, if you are training for a half-marathon, as I am, then the Strength should be done at GHMP. And then they prescribe a pace for the Tempo, which is about 20 sec. slower, which is different from the marathon training plan.

What I did with the Hanson 5k paces was to start at what I thought my 5k pace should be.  I hadn't run one in a while, and I'm more fit now than then.  When I had a workout needing a 5k pace I just checked to see how well I held up for that workout.  If all was well, I bumped the 5k pace by 5 or 10 seconds per mile for the next 5k workout.  I think I'm getting close, but am still moving it down 5 seconds each workout.  I do have an actual 5k race a week from this Saturday (which is a reasonable course in terms of hills) so that should give me a better guideline.  However, if I still find the 5k workouts a bit too easy, I may still subtract 5 seconds between them.

I also haven't done a representative half marathon in quite a while.  The last one I did (in Atlanta) was excessively hilly, so doesn't provide a good half marathon time measure.  So I guessed what I could have done on a flat course and have also been adjusting my half marathon pace downward by several seconds each week for the half marathon pace based workouts.  I also do a talk test during them just to make sure I'm not going anaerobic.

Complicating this process a bit is that I've been losing weight (intentionally) so in addition to getting more fit I'm also carrying less weight which affects my exertion level.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That's what I was thinking.  Having said that, the upper is different, especially at the achilles section.  It feels great, though.  I really liked it.

Damaris

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Tricia- Welcome.

Akalei- Now you are making me want a pair of PF2.  You guys are dangerous! I have 3 PF1's in my stable right now.

Josh- I am moving some things around in Pfitz Week 1...I'm switching long run day and recovery day because my team long run is Saturday, so I'll do teh 12 Saturday and then recover on Sunday.  It also works out better for me since I enjoy a glass of wine on Saturday nights ... 5 miles hungover is a lot better than 10.

great running everyone else.

Day 2 of Pfitz 18/55 for me! 9 mi GA

I took this run around a 9:30-9:40 pace for the most part, and really just added in running the piers along the hudson to my out and back from yesterday for an extra mile.  It was overall a pleasant run and I got to try out a new running top I got on 60% off from lululemon (this is my first lululemon longsleeve and I love it...its fleecy and does not chafe...i have the world's most angry skin).  It was pretty windy out as usual...a jack russel terrier off leash came snarling at me and i screeched because I didn't see it coming and then started laughing because the dog was so small.  The owner was mortified.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

White Lightning

Awsome guys, think i figured it out for the most part now. Skip the 4 mile recovery and take the 12 on sunday easy. Now I might have crappy weather for the 10k and might not run it too hard, won't know until next week but 50F today and warm all week should have everything melted <crosses fingers>. Week 9 just do 3 miles of w/u c/d to get the run to 16, try to race the race and run the recovery on Sunday. Seems simple enough to change things around

akalei – I'm really bored being slow with work so I have a lot of free time on my hands.

dark_streets – thanks, and glad you like the 13's. Mine should be here this week

indi – thanks, and congrats on going out to run when I was going to bed

jedi – nice workout

Amik – not sure on plans but glad you are recovering

onemile – good luck with your 12

cmb – thanks, good luck with the cold.

Cbus – sorry to hear, get better

Tricia – welcome

Sprinkles – good job on the 9

Me – We have our first official chinook of the year, 50F and 60mph winds this afternoon. Will be great to get everything melted. Haven't decided if i'm going to run today or not. I have Graston tomorrow morning and she told me I will need two days off after she's done with me tomorrow morning. Had an hour of Shoulder & Arms last night, bit sore this morning.  Found a Yoga routine online that is Deep Release for the Hips, Hamstrings and Lower Back I want to try tonight and if I don't run will get some water running in

Play the Game Hard!

akalei

Hey, donuts!  Just did a little over 4 at lunch at 8:19.  I was really happy with that pace considering the headwind on the way up.  Not too far off from GMP, and I think I could keep it up for an extended period of time.  Also, got to try out my new PF2's and I'm in LOVE!  I didn't realize just how worn down my shoes were until I put on the new ones today.

Sprinkles: see above.  And I'm glad to hear Pfitz is going well so far.  When do you find the time to run?

Josh: I should definitely be a little better about mine.  As of now, everything looks like hills or easy miles.  Oops. Smile

Jedi (and any other donut in/willing to travel to Central PA): check out hershey10k.com.  I think I'm doing it for an April race!  Should be fun!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Hi all.  I'll be MIA for the next week; I'll be traveling and probably not running at all.

Keep up the good running!

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Trail Monster

Finished up work a little early so dropping in to see what's up! I have 8 x 400m on the schedule tonight. Coach suggested I run them at 1:40-1:45 per 400m. I calculated that out to 8.6 MPH which I think is too fast. Based on my 5k PR McMillan gives me 8.3-8.7 MPH roughly. I'm very afraid of running at the faster end of my McMillan paces but I guess all I can do is suck it up and try?  Think happy, fast thoughts for me!

cmb, hope you had a nice 12!

Cbus, feel better!

Damaris, nice recovery run!

Tricia, nice runs!

RV, I'm having the same pacing issues. I don't have a good race time to use andi think I'm losing weight (scale is broken) so I'm going off of effort and a rough guess of what I think I can do.

Sprinkles, great run! Too funny about the tiny dog!

Joshlynn, why two days off? My Graston guy tells me to stick to regular schedule to increase blood flow to the healing areas.

Akalei, speedy!

Flinders, have a safe trip!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop