Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

onemile

Hi Tricia!  Nice pace today and on a hilly route even!

Cbus - yup, even if I adjust my GMP to slower, I would still do the speed at my true 5k pace. I think the point of those workouts is to improve your vo2max, which means you have to run at that pace.  Doing it at tempo pace wouldn't have the same effect.  And yes, 3 miles at 5k pace is a tough workout.  I'm only on the third week of it and already looking forward to it being over.  But I'm hoping it will pay off in making me faster.

Banshee - that makes sense to work on your endurance then. My 5k - HM times have always lined up so working on speed is more my focus.

Josh - I'm sorta disappointed you're not doing Hansons.  Misery loves company afterall.  But a lot of people really like Pfitz Smile

Smashy!!!

Onemile, now I'm scared of the longer intervals! Can I have the 12 back please?

Got my Inspires today. Definitely more stability there than the Elixirs, so this will be the real test to my theory. Great fitting shoe in all respects.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

Hello Tricia and welcome to the Donuts forum!  Looking forward to hearing more about your training.

I agree with onemile....Its not supposed to be easy.

Josh - When will you be starting?

Banshee -  Sounds hectic.  Keep it real and then get out and run happy!

Me - Got my 4 miles recovery in.  9:26 pace @ 2 deg incline on the treadmill.  I will be in bed and trying to sleep in just a few minutes.  I have to be on the road in another 7 hours to get 11 miles GA done.  Gotta charge my headlamp.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Correction, the Strength workouts are still GHMP - :10 even in the half-marathon plan. But the tempo is still slower than GHMP by about :20. Yippee!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

White Lightning

Onemile - its just that gut feeling

Indi - Monday, so Tuesday is my first workout

Play the Game Hard!

You people had to much coffee with your donuts today Cool lots great discussion though.

welcome aboard Tricia

mdawg - please be careful, you don't want any set backs

musha is fun to say

josh - the gut is usually right brother man

me - first speed work in ?????? 1 mile warm up at 9:15....4x400 at 6:58....another 1.5 miles at 9:40 ish. Felt good.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

White Lightning

Can the Pfitz experts please take a look at my training plan on my log?  I need help with week 1 and week 9 on each Saturday   Week 1 I have a 10k and Week 9 I have a HM and don't know what to do around them, or even if I should race either one.  Couple scary runs in there Undecided

Play the Game Hard!

akalei

Josh: based on my experience with pfitz, you can easily shift things around. I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but I am chicks chick who had to adjust the plan here and there because, as pfitz himself said, life happens. I was to do 17 the day of RNR Philly and instead raced the HM, without worrying about thit issued miles considering the effort I put into the 13 I did. since the other, would-be Saturday run is a recovery run, outhouse miles aren't hard to make up elsewhere in the week.

Btw, your log/schedule us super detailed. Here I've just been logging miles all along.... Y'all are putting me to shame!

also: iPad doesn't like the word "pfitz."

got my PF2's today and I'm in love. And they're hot pink. Double win.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Tricia - welcome

Josh - I'm also not a Pfitz expert, but I am coming to the end of my first 18/55 cycle next week.   I agree with akalei. For week 9, that HM should be a good replacement for a 16 mi LR.  Just swap the order and put the recovery run on Sunday.  If you care about maintaining weekly totals, you could tack on an extra mile to some of the runs earlier in the week.  Week 1 is early enough that it won't hurt to change things up as much as you want.  Run the 10K on Sat and see how you feel on Sun.  But since you aren't fresh off the couch, you can probably tackle a 12 LR maybe just taking it easier than normal.

Me - I just got back from 8 miles with 3x1600.  All these vo2 runs at the end of Pfitz have paces that I am not used to, but they are fun in a sick way. Overall average was 8:40, with the three intervals at 7:42, 8:13 and 8:03.  (some slight downhill helped me on the first).

Also I got my Adrenaline 13's last week and wore them for my LR.  Best run of my life!  I thought my GPS was lying to me.  16 miles at 8:42.  I suppose I can't credit the shoes for much of that.  It was actually my first LR since Taper started, so I had better speed at what I felt was the normal LR effort level.  It's my first taper.  What should I do?  Try to run with the same effort as before, even if the pace is maybe to fast for a LR?  Or just enjoy a couple weeks of ego-boosting numbers before race day?

Rusk Runner

Good morning Donuts.  Shout outs later, I gotta get ready for  work.  Not much hitch in my giddy'up to get out the door this morning but I forced myself.  Hit start at 2:56 AM.  11 miles @9:00 avg pace.

Just Run!!!

Rusk Runner

Josh - I would skip the recovery 4 miles on week 1.  Just do a proper warm up and cool down on race day.  This is really just a base building phase, and you shouldnt need to worry about anything.  Take your 12 on Sunday easy/peasy.  As for week 10, this I would approach a little differently.  If you race that 13.1 as your Saturday run, you are likely not (or more or less certainly not) going to want to do a 16 mile long run that includes 12 miles at marathon pace.  I would pretty much do what akalei said and run a slow recovery on Sunday but, I personally would add some cool down miles to the end of the half (and thats just because I sometimes get crazy about mileage, a problem I need to adddress).  Your first time running through Pfitz may require some tweaking here and there.  Dont let that bother you.  Just listen to your body and do what you think is best.  For me, the first time felt like I was constantly teetering on the edge of injury.  When I felt like I was going to fall off the edge and get injured, I would cut out a speed workout and run recovery pace.

Just Run!!!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

cbus - I don't think you need to run a 5k every week. I think they are saying go run a 5k or 10k and get a baseline for you to use as a guide for your speed workouts. I have not run a 5k since last June, but base all my VDOT paces off my 20:46 PR. I was planning on racing a 5k this weekend, but kid activities got in the way of that. Interesting stuff on HM plan stuff.

Okay, so I looked at the Hansons book again, and it looks like I've got to adjust my training paces. Onemile and Jedi, like you guys said, the paces they give for the Speed are suggestions, and they do say go with a race. But something about racing a 5k every week seems crazy to me--am I alone here? In any case, it looks like I've got to run them faster.

As far as the other workouts, if you are training for a half-marathon, as I am, then the Strength should be done at GHMP. And then they prescribe a pace for the Tempo, which is about 20 sec. slower, which is different from the marathon training plan.

Morning Donuts! I got a good run in this morning. My 2nd of 3 quality workouts this week. Coach Daniels really kicking my ass this week.Smile 9.3m w/ 3x10min cruise intervals. Splits of 7:06, 7:08, and 7:09 spot on at my T pace of 7:10. very pleased with my run today. really wish i could race that 5k this weekend.

indiana - I thought I got up early to run.Smile

josh - never did pfitz plan, but could you race HM instead of a LR that week or just do 1m w/u-13.1-cool-down miles to get LR distance in.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Ball of Fury

Morning Donuts!  Sounds like some great training runs going on right now.   We are still down here on vacation and I can almost walk normally again without pain or soreness so yay me!  While everyone is talking about/thinking about HM training plans, DH and I need to decide soon what plan to use for our next HM, which is May 4.  We have considered Ryan Hall's plan or using one of the PFitz FM plans with some alterations?  We have Advanced Marathoning and Hudson's book but not Hanson's.  Thoughts?  Oh, and I just ate a donut....it was tasty!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Ami - enjoy that donut! I did a Hudson lvl2 Hm plan last year and you'll definitely get your work in with that plan.Smile

Morning Donuts!  Sounds like some great training runs going on right now.   We are still down here on vacation and I can almost walk normally again without pain or soreness so yay me!  While everyone is talking about/thinking about HM training plans, DH and I need to decide soon what plan to use for our next HM, which is May 4.  We have considered Ryan Hall's plan or using one of the PFitz FM plans with some alterations?  We have Advanced Marathoning and Hudson's book but not Hanson's.  Thoughts?  Oh, and I just ate a donut....it was tasty!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

onemile

Morning!

Rollcast - nice job on the speedwork

dark_streets - I LOVE the Adrenaline 13's. Best version yet!  Sounds like an awesome 16 miler - super fast too!

Amik - I used the Pfitz HM Plan B last summer/fall with good results (It's in his book 'Road Racing for Serious Runners'.  It has one speedwork per week, a MLR and a LR and then you divide the mileage up however you want - he gives you the weekly mileage target.

Josh - I agree with Indiana - good advice!

Indiana - 2:56am? Wow. Just wow.

Jedi - nice job on the cruise intervals!

I have 12 with 6 at GMP tonight.  It's going to be rather cold (18, feels like 8) so I hope my legs work well enough to pull it off.