Sub-4 Marathon Group

January 2013 (Read 482 times)

Ball of Fury

Ugh...sorry you had a bad run!  When I went to the website, it seemed like there were 2 types of sparkle skirts...once that came with shorts underneath and one that didn't?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

I have the ones that don't have anything underneath.  They are like tutus.  If the forecast for Disney keeps lowering, I might get to wear my Minnie one.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

I have the ones that don't have anything underneath.  They are like tutus.  If the forecast for Disney keeps lowering, I might get to wear my Minnie one.

The last I saw on Accuweather said high of 82!  Yuck!  Of course, for you, that's probably considered cool.

mdawg87

Good morning donuts!  1 hour of elliptical and stretching at the gym this morning.  4 more days until my first run, but who's counting?  I'm wondering if this Graston thing would help my tight calves.  I'm sure like Zoe, if I stretched and rolled more, I'd see improvement.  I'm really good about stretching.  Rolling?  Not so much.

AmiK:  Both Under Armor and Nike make shorter compression shorts that aren't "buns" type shortie shorts.  I think they have a 5 inch inseam, if I remember correctly.  I wear mine all the time.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in a 5 mi tempo run @ 8:48 pace + 2.05 wu and 2.05 cd, for a grand total of 9.1. My longest, hardest run since TCM, and absolutely no hint of ITBS on the left side--none. The right side still feels a little inflamed, but nothing as bad as before, so I'm icing it.

Regarding Graston, I'm a believer now. My experience has been like Onemile and Sprinkles. I've thrown everything at my ITBS, and though I was able to manage the pain, I wasn't getting better. When I went in for Graston, it was very clear that rolling and stretching wasn't getting deep enough into the tissues to break up the adhesions and restrictions. And with every visit, the Graston was only going deeper into the tissues. There's no way my roller could get that deep. So, if you've been struggling with an injury, I definitely think Graston is worth a shot. But lesson learned. Now that the Graston has restored my legs, I'm gonna be diligent with yoga, strengthening, and rolling to prevent reoccurrence. I'm also gonna ration my visits (insurance will cover 12) so I can use them during MRT.

Ami, nothing wrong with sparkle, if that's your thang. But if you want compression, then why not just go with "boy shorts," like the kind Mdawg suggested (I think Brooks also makes a longish one, and so does Mizuno). Whatever you do, I suggest finalizing your clothing choices ASAP and doing dress rehearsals to make sure you don't have any unwanted surprises during your race.

Happy running all!

EDIT: oh yeah, Ami, make sure your chiro is Graston certified. I don't know if the tools are just a cost savings thing, or if you need to be certified to purchase them. As effective as Graston is, I'm not sure how safe it would be for a nontrained person to impersonate the techniques.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

CBus:  To clarify, he didn't actually call it Graston.  He said he was going to "break up the adhesions, etc.." and I said, is it like Graston.  And he said yes, but the Graston tool is $4000 so I use this one instead.  As far as shorts, the only compression shorts I have found in my area are either really long (like bike shorts), or boy type shorty-shorts.  I think I am just gonna go with regular Nike tempo shorts and a tank, and maybe arm sleeves at the beginning.

Docket_Rocket

Well, I call accuweather crappuweather for a reason.  The forecast for Saturday was just released on weather.com.  48-73F last time I saw.  Hoping for mid 70s at the worst.  I run in 80F enough to know it will suck.

The last I saw on Accuweather said high of 82!  Yuck!  Of course, for you, that's probably considered cool.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

mdawg - stretching and rolling only go so far. Graston, like cbus says, gets much deeper.  I've even tried to Graston myself and it helps but the real thing is so much better because it's so painful it's hard to effectively do it to yourself.  I really do think it would help you.  I didn't realize how bad both of my calves were until I got it done and they feel so normal now.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Mdawg- Just like Cbus and onemile said...its so much deeper it will break up adhesions and make it way easier to get deep into the stretches that you need to get into in order to see improvement.  Since I started doing it I haven't had to have any URDs related to any leg pain/muscle issues.

Ami- Don't worry about me being a brat about sparkle skirts- they are probably really comfy and you should get one if you want it.  To be honest I find them really cute! I just can't bring myself to do it because of skating - I'd feel like a caricature of my past!

Docket- I hope your asthma gets better!  That sounds awful.  I hate allergy shots as it is but, wow, yeah that should not be the case.

6 miles easy tonight again on the treadmill...keeping it calm until MRT starts.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

cmb4314

Morning!

SRD here.  Beat my legs up pretty good on my tempo run last night, so I need it.

Accuweather and TWC are both forecasting a "feels like" temp of 9 degrees for the start of my 20 miler on Sunday.  Sigh.  I do believe this will be the last time I try to train for a Spring marathon in Minnesota.  I'm thinking that something in November would be about perfect, so I could train mostly throughout September and October when it is really nice to run.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Smashy!!!

CBus:  To clarify, he didn't actually call it Graston.  He said he was going to "break up the adhesions, etc.." and I said, is it like Graston.  And he said yes, but the Graston tool is $4000 so I use this one instead.  As far as shorts, the only compression shorts I have found in my area are either really long (like bike shorts), or boy type shorty-shorts.  I think I am just gonna go with regular Nike tempo shorts and a tank, and maybe arm sleeves at the beginning.

ami, visit Runningwarehouse.com. They have a wide selection, fast-free delivery, an excellent return policy, and beyond the call of duty customer service. Also much of their inventory is discounted right off the top. In any case, you can find plenty of compression type shorts there.

Smashy!!!

One more thing regarding Graston and stretching: in my experience, once major adhesions form, the greater part of my IT Band was very immobile, and so when I would stretch, I could feel the stretch at the hip, but not through the leg. As a result, my hip would get irritated. Mdawg, if you've got adhesions that are immobilizing your calves, it is possible that the stretching is lossening the already flexible parts, but not the immobile parts. So, like Sprinkles said, the Graston would break that up, therby making the stretching more effective.

Onemile, you tried to Graston yourself? Hard core. That's like that guy who cut off his own arm to get out from underneath that boulder.

Cmb, why not do TCM? It's in your backyard, and it's a fantastic race.

onemile

Onemile, you tried to Graston yourself? Hard core. That's like that guy who cut off his own arm to get out from underneath that boulder.

hehe I have this one plastic handled scissors that has a handle that is curved just right with a little bit of an edge.  I've used a metal spoon before too.  Rub some lotion on and go to town.   Shocked   ITBs are easier to do on your own than calves though!  And I can only inflict so much pain on myself.  I'd rather go in and get it done, but in a pinch...

Docket_Rocket

I know of some who trained on the TM for similar races.

Morning!

SRD here.  Beat my legs up pretty good on my tempo run last night, so I need it.

Accuweather and TWC are both forecasting a "feels like" temp of 9 degrees for the start of my 20 miler on Sunday.  Sigh.  I do believe this will be the last time I try to train for a Spring marathon in Minnesota.  I'm thinking that something in November would be about perfect, so I could train mostly throughout September and October when it is really nice to run.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Well, after doing some more research regarding this stupid arthritic toe, it seems that I will be transitioning to a lower heel drop for both running and dress shoes (indi, i think it was you that mentioned the Flow?). In addition, i will be working on my stride length and foot placement at the time of strike. Tested a couple of postures and i think i am on the right track. Does anyone here have any experience relating to running with arthritis in the big toe? Not Hellux Rigidus yet. CBus, any shoe ideas for the transition? the launch dont seem to aggrevate it as much.

Thinking about running with a donut wrapped around my toe. Chuck Norris would........thats all I've got.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27