The League of Extraordinary Runners

Upcoming Races (Read 1665 times)

Yeah, you're being wise. I may not be so wise, though, and will likely race on my questionable hip tomorrow morning (assuming I wake up). It's a lot better than it was and I seem to be able to run on it, but it's just taking a long time and a lot of vigilance to improve.

Relative to other years you guys should have great weather for ES6. It looks to be completely clear with a high temperature in the low 80s. Other than wanting maybe a slight breeze you can't ask for much more at the end of July.

Phil, I was just looking at your log. Your training has been pretty consistent the last several weeks. You look ready to go out there and put in a few good miles. You training supports 20+ fairly easily barring any injury. What's your new goal?

Perry/Crystal goals?

philibusters

I was originally scheduled to race a 5k next Tuesday (the 28th).  I still intend to run that, but due to the hamstring, won't be racing that.  I am looking to run that in the 21 minute range.  After that my next goal is to break 1 hour and 27 minutes at the Fort Eustis Half Marathon September 19th.

I can't help but feel woefully under-prepared for the Chaptico Classic. It's hard to decide between the 5k and the 10k when I don't like the outlook of either one. Despite a summer of semi-consistent running I feel as though my 5k ability has gone down since where it was just a few weeks ago during the mile series and I think it would be a struggle to run a 10k at the same pace I ran the 8k in Virginia at the start of the year. This is somewhat fascinating, because my mile training was based on speedwork without much mileage to support it and my 8k training was based on a few long runs (in case I ran the marathon) with no speedwork. So it's almost as if trying to balance the two (speed and endurance) modestly has resulted in me losing confidence at either end (5k and 10k).

A potentially huge factor is that I lost something like 3 pounds when I was training well for the mile. I gained that back and am holding steadily between 172-173 right now.

Of course my training is the biggest factor. I think I had a few weeks recently where I did 30+ miles, but until I go higher than that I can't expect much improvement beyond where I am right now.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I am signed up for Chaptico 5K, as is Alan Parris. I may not have broken 19 all year, and feel like I am in worse racing shape than the spring, but will still cross my fingers and hope for sub-19, probably. Maybe the course will be helpfully a fraction short.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

philibusters

I am signed up for Chaptico 5K, as is Alan Parris. I may not have broken 19 all year, and feel like I am in worse racing shape than the spring, but will still cross my fingers and hope for sub-19, probably. Maybe the course will be helpfully a fraction short.

I kind of considered Chaptico the start of the fall racing season in Southern Maryland.  I'd consider Jingle Bell the end of it and the start of the winter running season.

philibusters

My tenative race schedule is

September 19-- Fort Eustis Half Marathon

September 26-- Belmead Marathon (not racing it, just treating like a long run)

October 4:  Annapolis Metric Marathon

October 18:  Virginia Running Festival Half Marathon

October 25:  24 mile long run in St. Mary's County

November 14:  Richmond Marathon

I assume Perry will be doing the Annapolis Metric Marathon.  Are you interested in a 24 mile long run on Sunday October 25th?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I am interested, but that is the day of Colton's Costume Caper, and I have been timing it the last several years. If I can find a sub, or if we can do the long run after that. I bet you have never run long from Colton's Pt....

MTA: You are also running a lot more than I, Phil. Not sure if I could keep up.

My workplace is having their annual 2 mile race on 28 October. Last year I finished 2nd place after winning it in all my previous appearances. It was mostly due to me being in questionable shape instead of a true challenger emerging. In years past I'd won it in like 12 flat and the winning time was like 13 flat last year. For some reason I'm compelled to make a strong appearance this year.

I doubt I'll be in great long run shape come 25 October, but it would be nice to join you for some part of it if my schedule with the kids isn't crazy that day.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm also willing to turn the Greasy-Gooney into a training run embedded into a long run, if you like; it is the day before that. I think it is only 4mi or so from the race setting up to the AT; I have never run on the AT. Last year we were going to do so, but after running the course again after the race, I was too tired to make it all the way to the AT.

philibusters

I'm also willing to turn the Greasy-Gooney into a training run embedded into a long run, if you like; it is the day before that. I think it is only 4mi or so from the race setting up to the AT; I have never run on the AT. Last year we were going to do so, but after running the course again after the race, I was too tired to make it all the way to the AT.

I am going to Baltimore on the 24th with my parents so that probably won't work.

Perry, Crystal, Joe, any chance for a group run the day before the Annapolis Metric Marathon (October 3rd)?

Everything is tentative for me and the 3rd is a prime example. I have many activities I might attend that day and the leading contenders are Winefest (local) and my niece's birthday (in Virginia). It's not a kids weekend for us, which means I could probably do it before going to Winefest. We'd like to get the kids and take them to my niece's birthday party, though, which requires some tricky negotiations. So I can't say for sure, but it's probably 60% I can run that morning and 40% I can't.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Also, cute letsrun thread: What will be the next WR broken?

Get your guess in before Sunday.

philibusters