The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

Durrr

That link appears to go to a driving map for getting from Prince Frederick to the base.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The classic 10mi loop around base - used heavily by PaxVelo, and also by some runners.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1567052

(There is a box in the upper right of the map on that page that will make it bigger.)

I recommend going clockwise, if you're not familiar with the loop.

There are two places that might be tricky to stay on course if you go counter-clockwise.

A)

Between #7 and #6 on the map, closer to #6, the road kind of goes into the middle, and you need to veer right to stay on (get on) Cedar Point Road. This is not a problem if you go clockwise.

B)

Going up the center of the base (between #1 and #9) you have to make a left turn at a traffic light past the firehouse. This is still a necessary turn going clockwise, but (I think) easier to recognize, as it is (going clockwise) the first road crossing you come to after the circle (between #7 and #8).

Note: PaxVelo customary direction is clockwise. The base triathlons are unusual in that they have the cyclists go counter-clockwise (I think this is because of where they join the loop).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

philibusters

Where are we meeting Saturday morning Perry, your house or the base and what time?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I suppose either @ beach house @ 0715 or my house @ 0700, whichever you prefer.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

5mi w/u tonight followed by 10mi @ MP. Crystal ran a surprising amount of it with me. She didn't do the w/u, but she did mi 1-4, 7, and 9-10 of the MP. (Alison was too late for any of it.)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

runwietecha did a "marathon specific" raining run a week ago that looks kind of like Joe's 5K repeats:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/2458e7e2f5784b1c8b527a9dcf160218/workouts/42af20f63f4c42589cbbbd022a66ecc3

Except his goal marathon was Houston (this morning, I think), so he executed that a week out.

If my math is right, his MP this morning was slower than those 5K repeats -- around 5:18 I think.

Durrr

Ugh, his recoveries are at 5:50/mi pace.

I hope to be back to what resembles a regular exercise schedule by Wednesday. Is there any sort of schedule for the days you (the Rapps) are running at home versus somewhere like Chancellor's Run, the Patuxent track, etc? Most days I'll probably run at work or the college, but some days I could drive to those locations.

Durrr

I intend to visit the college on Thursday evening for 4 X 3200.

Meanwhile I finally filled in commentary for my Saturday steady state log entry. It explains why the pacing wasn't always so "steady" (e.g., 6:28 for mile 12, 6:06 for mile 13, 6:47 for mile 14).

philibusters

I intend to visit the college on Thursday evening for 4 X 3200.

Meanwhile I finally filled in commentary for my Saturday steady state log entry. It explains why the pacing wasn't always so "steady" (e.g., 6:28 for mile 12, 6:06 for mile 13, 6:47 for mile 14).

You keep putting in your 8 or 10 miles breezily brisk runs "this is marathon training, the daily grind".   That is true, but Saturday was a better example of marathon training---dead legs.   Your legs will gradually come around and for the actual marathon you will have tapered.   Missing that week a couple weeks back hurt as you have kind of sat out two weeks in the last month and then immediately jumped back in with higher mileage which takes your legs a while to adjust to.

Durrr

It did occur to me that having run merely one mile during the days between 12/29/2012 and 01/05/2013 may have contributed to my weakness on Saturday --- especially since I'd only had two solid weeks of running following my intentional  six-day break after Jingle Bell (which came after a low mileage race taper week). Thus it really hasn't been since the early autumn that I've logged consistently high mileage (i.e., at least three consecutive weeks of 50 or more miles). And now this week my mileage potential is being diminished by ongoing car drama (it's now up in the air whether or not I'll be able to make it to the college on Thursday evening for my CANNOT MISS 4 X 3200 workout). Plus I'll want to taper to a certain degree before the half marathon on the 27th (and recover a bit afterward). So I'm really hoping that I'll be able to get in consistently big mileage all through February --- except then a blizzard will probably show up to further impede mileage.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I hope to be back to what resembles a regular exercise schedule by Wednesday. Is there any sort of schedule for the days you (the Rapps) are running at home versus somewhere like Chancellor's Run, the Patuxent track, etc? Most days I'll probably run at work or the college, but some days I could drive to those locations.

No... but... we can talk about it Smile

Durrr

You've got to be kidding me. I knew that the first several days of this week would be a puddle prone, murky mess, but Thursday is/was supposed to be dry --- and thus my unbelievably crucial 4 X 3200 set should not be cast in doubt due to weather. But now I'm seeing this for tomorrow evening.

4 PM

Rain

43°

Rain

<dl><dt>FEELS LIKE:</dt><dd>39°</dd></dl><dl><dt>HUMIDITY:</dt><dd>51%</dd></dl><dl><dt>PRECIP:</dt><dd>70%</dd></dl><dl><dt>WIND:</dt><dd>NW at 6 mph</dd><dd> </dd></dl>

5 PM

Rain

40°

Rain

<dl><dt>FEELS LIKE:</dt><dd>36°</dd></dl><dl><dt>HUMIDITY:</dt><dd>57%</dd></dl><dl><dt>PRECIP:</dt><dd>70%</dd></dl><dl><dt>WIND:</dt><dd>NW at 6 mph</dd></dl>

• Sunset at 5:13 pm

6 PM

Snow

33°

Snow

<dl><dt>FEELS LIKE:</dt><dd>37°</dd></dl><dl><dt>HUMIDITY:</dt><dd>64%</dd></dl><dl><dt>PRECIP:</dt><dd>80%</dd></dl><dl><dt>WIND:</dt><dd>NW at 5 mph</dd><dd> </dd></dl>

7 PM

Snow

33°

Snow

<dl><dt>FEELS LIKE:</dt><dd>35°</dd></dl><dl><dt>HUMIDITY:</dt><dd>70%</dd></dl><dl><dt>PRECIP:</dt><dd>80%</dd></dl><dl><dt>WIND:</dt><dd>NW at 5 mph</dd><dd> </dd></dl>

8 PM

Snow

33°

Snow

<dl><dt>FEELS LIKE:</dt><dd>34°</dd></dl><dl><dt>HUMIDITY:</dt><dd>70%</dd></dl>

Durrr

Ok, now I'm seriously considering taking the fairly unprecedented action of moving the interval set to Saturday morning (which would of course supplant the modest long run I had in mind) --- and back to the Chopticon track! Tomorrow evening looks out of the question, and Friday, though surely dry, will be a cold and very windy day. Saturday looks to be pleasant and ... daylight! The only downside I can see to Saturday is that it's debatable how effective the workout will be toward improving me for a race merely 8 days later.