The League of Extraordinary Runners

Training (Read 5242 times)

philibusters

By the way, Phil, the map views of your 1600s log entries all show you stopping about 150m before the point at which you started each interval. Were you doubling back in the 3rd laps?

The high school track that I ran at has a sign that all runners have to run in the outside lanes of the track (I assume because most of the wear is on the inside lanes.  Thus I was running from lane 8.

I didn't run today as there is a sore spot on my left shin.  It has been coming and going for a while, but I felt it for most of the run yesterday.  I put ice on it today and it ended up feeling more sore.  I'm wondering if it could be a stress fracture or the start of one.  It is not like shin splints, just pretty much one small area.

philibusters

I didn't run today as there is a sore spot on my left shin.  It has been coming and going for a while, but I felt it for most of the run yesterday.  I put ice on it today and it ended up feeling more sore.  I'm wondering if it could be a stress fracture or the start of one.  It is not like shin splints, just pretty much one small area.

Sounds like it could be.  Joe would be the person to ask because he has experienced a stress fracture.

Hopefully if that is the case, its just the start of one.  Avoiding speed work may help, but if it is not the start of one, if you already have the stress fracture it may be too late to do anything except rest and it let it recover.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thinking about how I'd done nothing but run easy since Saturday, and inspired by how Phil just did a workout, I tried to do one -- wound up only running 3mi steady-state and feeling tired at that, but I'm feeling okay about it.

Finally read DR's commentary on his steady state (from a week and a half ago now). Seems a good run to me, even if it wasn't all he hoped.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

Per my training plan, I'll have one more opportunity to shoot for a steady state of significant distance --- but not until two weeks before the marathon. Though of course there's the half marathon this weekend which, even if not the strong race I originally intended, will hopefully still be stronger than a typical steady state (averaging <6:00/mi for 13.1 miles is the goal, but <6:10/mi might have to suffice ... though I don't even want to think about how a snowy course might affect pace).

I had some daring ambitions last night for this morning. Galled by the notion of Brandon D. having gone running yesterday morning at 4:30 a.m. when it couldn't have been much more than 10 degrees out, I determined that I would demonstrate some icy grit myself and go for a bold Breezily Brisk of 11 miles starting before 5 a.m. today --- despite the swirling snows! It was only supposed to be a bunch of flurries, with maybe a trace accumulation of half an inch, and I was going to go forth armored from helm to heel in the best synthetic garb. The Battle of Winter, it was meant to be. And I was going to win it.

Except as I tried to get some sleep before the 4 a.m. alarm sound off, I kept coughing more and more and realized that my sputtering sickness was on the verge of resurgence --- and that the cold actions I was planning to take would surely be the worse kind of medicine. Plus I wasn't hardly getting any sleep. And when I did happen to peek out the window nigh 4 a.m., all notions of running immediately froze over. Everything had been blanketed with snow (and it was still coming down!). Thus I reported promptly to the elliptical for a vigorous session. It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't taken off yesterday evening, and now I could be looking at three, possibly four days in a row of cross training but no running (terrible for January mileage, yes, but an XC ski spree is on the way!).

It's possible to get a stress fracture in the shin and it starts off a lot like shin splints. Some people generally refer to them as "stress reactions" until they manifest more obviously as a stress fracture or a shin splint. Ice stops swelling, but blood flow leads to healing. Icing at first isn't bad, but in the coming days just staying loose and active will probably be better for it. My guess is it will go away soon so long as you don't go out and pound the pavement very hard.

philibusters

And when I did happen to peek out the window nigh 4 a.m., all notions of running immediately froze over. Everything had been blanketed with snow (and it was still coming down!).

Did you guys get some snow?

Thus I reported promptly to the elliptical for a vigorous session. It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't taken off yesterday evening, and now I could be looking at three, possibly four days in a row of cross training but no running (terrible for January mileage

I am only 22 miles behind you for January

Durrr

You'll definitely prevail this week, Phil, but the battle for January mileage will continue into next week!

Oh, and 2 to 4 inches of snow, all over So. MD!

After taking Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday off my shin is feeling better.  We ran today (yes, we just happened to start running right after it started sleeting/snowing), and the shin felt fine.  The pavement had some black ice - that made for careful running.  It also started getting slippery near the end of the run.  The sleet stung a little.  Needless to say, we kept it short. :-)

Durrr

Oh dear, Perry posted 16 log entries for yesterday evening's track running (though he only made it to part 2 of 4 for his Saturday logging). Meanwhile I'm wondering if it was Phil's intention to take an easy weekend with no long runs (though he did get speedy for a few miles yesterday).

Perry/Crystal, do you have any particular runs planned for the rest of the week? I see SMRSP is still scheduled for this weekend. I can potentially show up to that.

philibusters

Meanwhile I'm wondering if it was Phil's intention to take an easy weekend with no long runs (though he did get speedy for a few miles yesterday).

No but a light snow fall made it harder to do the 15 mile long run I was hoping for on one of the days.

That tempo last night was a bit disappointing, the goal was 4 miles, but I only got three.  I am not sure why I struggled so much.  The guy I was running with ran six miles at 6:40 pace for his tempo.  Before we started me and third guy said we were only going to do four, but I dropped off at 3, and the third guy did do a fourth mile of the tempo but with me no longer running with him and getting gapped by the lead guy, he ran his fourth mile a few seconds over 7 minutes.

philibusters

Joe has you watch come in?  Hopefully you'll start logging soon.

Crystal, how is your shin?

Joe has you watch come in?  Hopefully you'll start logging soon.

Crystal, how is your shin?

It's still "sore", but quite mild. Running on the Patuxent track yesterday felt good.  I guess some of the rest I've taken has helped.

Perry/Crystal, do you have any particular runs planned for the rest of the week? I see SMRSP is still scheduled for this weekend. I can potentially show up to that.

I think Perry is going to the Patuxent track this evening (Wednesday), but I'm not sure what time - guessing 5.30pm or 6pm?  Alison Parris will be running there too, but she is often late.  I have rehearsal tonight so I ran earlier.

Perry and I are planning to run the SMRSP course sometime on Friday (before dark), just to check the course.

I'd like to do a long run Saturday (11-15), but not all of it on the trail.  I'm thinking Perry will do the trail race - we'll see how much he wants to run after that.