The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

philibusters

In contrast, I generally consider placement of little meaning or import compared to time.

I'd probably the same as you Perry, though winning a race is not really a concern for me so that may influence why time is more important to me.

Durrr

Phil, do you honestly mean to say that at Crofton, before your hamstring when haywire, you weren't the least bit concerned about how your placement compared to Joe's?

In some races time is everything --- but at others placement ends up being the only way to draw any meaning from the race. At the LPR10 last year, the time goal to break 60:00 trumped all else. I obviously had no chance of winning the race, not with Wardian and Mercer in the mix, and keeping ahead of age group and grand prix rival Shane was my only competitive concern. In contrast, at Jingle Bell I knew long before the end of the race that my time was going to be crummy (harsh arctic headwinds slowed me down, plus the course measured on the heavy side). Thus the glory of an overall victory over many  hundres of people was the only aspect that made the race memorable. Then of course the race I had at Crofton represented the best of both time and placement for me, as I set a massive PR and vanquished all competitors.

Think of the Olympians. Now, sometimes time was a big deal, like when Usain set an Olympic record in the 100m or when the US women's 4 X 100 team set a world record. But it seemed like most races were way off world record times, or even slower than the PRs of the very runners in the race itself. The women's 1500m (Uceny's doom), for instance, had a very slow, tactical start. But even when times were superb, the athletes thought of that aspect as being merely a pleasant bonus --- because nothing can compare to the elation of medaling. I'm sure most Olympians would gladly take a paltry time and a medal over finishing fast but still out of contention. Granted the Chaptico Classic is far from being an Olympic event, but for a recreational runner of my caliber, it's about as prestigious as things get.

philibusters

Phil, do you honestly mean to say that at Crofton, before your hamstring when haywire, you weren't the least bit concerned about how your placement compared to Joe's?

No, competing against Joe was probably more important than my time at Crofton.  Plus I said time usually more important to me than placement, not that I don't care at all about placement. For example winning my age group at a small race where I run a 20:30 5K is going to leave me more disappointed than excited.  Likewise, you won the inaugural Leaping Lizards but were probably more disappointed over your time than excited about your victory.  I felt like Joe felt like that after his Lounge Lizards victory.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

BTW, I've loaded my race result now.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Durrr

Are there results online? That might make it easier to sort out which teams were male, which were female, which were coed, and just how many Scotts and Trents there were in the event.

philibusters

BTW, I've loaded my race result now.

18:32 is a solid time.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Traditionally they posted results on paper at the Drill Hall. Several times someone in the tri club has scanned them and circulated them amongst the tri club. I think maybe MWR has a facebook page now? I hope I get to see electronic results somehow; I don't know any of the team times, not even my own.

Nice race this weekend!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yes. Besides my time, highlights include that we only passed little Benjamin Aris when we were looping the bottom of the Island, halfway through the race -- he has bib 13 and is on the front line to the left: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chesapeake_bay_running_club/7989045769/

The girl next to him, with bib 12, is his sister Hannah, who won the race - she is a Calvert CC girl.

(I only know who they are b/c I looked up their bib numbers in the results just now.)

Another highlight is that I beat Tom Burke. I don't think I've done that before, to my knowledge.

Durrr

Upon beholding the results, I initially gave a sigh of triumphant relief, as it appeared that my 17:05 course record stood safe against Trent's 17:18. But then I saw this map, which reveals that the Young Life 5k course was altered for Pet Day. It's basically the same difference, however. Langley Ln runs parallel to Alexander St, just as Calvert St runs parallel to the main island road. The start/finish line appears to have been on the same spot, so heading briefly up Alexander before veering right onto Calvert before turning left onto Langley then left onto the main road to head to the end of the island is essentially the same distance as following Alexander all the way out at the start before turning right onto the main and then U-turning at its junction with Langley before heading to the end of the island. Otherwise the courses appear to have been identical --- except the Pet Day course update actually looks more sensible, as it was annoying to have to make a momentum-mangling U-turn so early in the race at Young Life. Meanwhile Perry ran remarkably fast for having not tapered at all, not to mention having done almost 10 miles interspersed with light speed work on Friday evening.

Who brought the monstrous serpent??

Their names make me wonder for a moment if they have any relation to this Aris.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

David Strickland ran only 16sec faster than me, this morning.

philibusters

David Strickland ran only 16sec faster than me, this morning.

Nice

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Disclosure: I ran a flat, fast course on Solomons. He ran Bull Run Invitational.

philibusters

Well, I guess that does make a difference