The League of Extraordinary Runners

Banter (Read 1523 times)

Durrr

Running barefoot on the beach would be the easiest way to transition.
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

There are those vibram five fingers things that the barefoot runners talk about using when they discuss it here on RA. They sound like rubber sandal like things. I'd be afraid of the general tendency of glass to get blown off of the road onto the shoulders, where I often run.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Appropriate story coming out of the Flying Pig marathon... Officer jumps on hood of runaway SUV and hops in passenger side keeping it from hitting a pack of marathon runners: http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20090503/NEWS01/905040346/
          I've been looking at some of the photos put up today on Marathon Foto. My running form is just as merry as ever with some disappointing hand movement. There are one or two decent ones I like, but I'm crossing my fingers that the remaining 66% of photos yet to be posted will include more of me. Rick's form looks pretty spectacular in most of his. Alden looks happy in many of his. A good bonus to doing the marathon is that more photos get taken of you! I don't remember anyone else's bib numbers off the top of my head, so I'll have to look at theirs later. Gross 275 Dowgiallo 3648 Schaffer 5279
          Durrr

There doesn't seem to be any way to enlarge the photos ... other than hitting ctrl + a few times (but then they're all fuzzy).
              You can click "Buy" and then click the next thumbnail it shows and then you can see it big with text across it.
              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You can click "Buy" and then click the next thumbnail it shows and then you can see it big with text across it.
                That's genius -- works great Smile I was 8862 on 5K (no photos yet) and 584 on mara -- kind of funny, you can see the edge of Aaron, a guy with whom I ran many miles, on at least 5 of the photos of me, but you can never really see him -- guess they took pains to cut people off from whomever they were next to...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I'll be at the CBRC meeting tonight. I felt a little bad a couple of weeks ago when I went to DR's race. It turns out CBRC was doing the finish line, but I was there milling about not doing anything productive.

Diesel Power

Alden and Joe heard this rant the weekend of Frederick, but after last night, I feel the need to reiterate... I think I have a serious problem with people who are trying to get into sports to be fashionable. This is not just limited to running, but I'll use it as an example here. I'll try to be careful with how I word this, as I have zero problem with people who are new to running, or people who have money to buy top-of -the-line gear. It's not everyday, but I see a lot of people in this area decked out, from head-to-toe, in brand new UnderArmour gear. Hats, sunglasses, shirts, shorts, socks, shoes. If I see someone wearing something like this, it's often at someplace like Lowes or Quiznos than at a track or trail. Those that dress like this on the track are generally those people who walk in lane 1, and then don't take a hint to move even though you buzz by them about eight times during a workout (as was the case last night at the track). I say this knowing that I love UnderArmour gear. I really hate that I know the high price is justified by quality (in my experience, anyways). That being said, I think I own only 3-4 pieces of UnderArmour merchandise. One of those was my premium from the Baltimore Running festival. It's really damn expensive. When I first got back into running in 2006, I started by wearing old SMR gym shorts and three year old basketball shoes. After a month or so, I bought some C9 gear from Target. Eventually I moved up to Brooks and Nike, but even that took a while. I just don't notice many runners (and not just "hardcore" runners) wearing a lot of expensive gear. That's why I'm so thrilled whenever I get technical shirts at a race, because it's one less thing I have to buy. Back to the rant-at-hand, though. Let's say I were to get back into basketball. I go to Dick's and buy $150 shoes, UnderArmour shorts and shirt, headbands, armbands, etc. How seriously would I be taken if I showed up to a court wearing that? I'm guessing this scenario is way less common than with runners (though maybe this whole thing is just up my way). I probably would have much less of a problem than if they stayed out of lane 1. I guess it's because only jerks think to go buy all UnderArmour stuff and then hit the track. I don't know, I'm done now.
                    Durrr

I think the line is crossed when people go around wearing Under Armor apparel that's hardly athletic in completely unathletic situations. You know, like the pudgy guy who comes into the office wearing a polo shirt that proudly displays the UA symbol.

Diesel Power

Golfer?
                          This is funny to me. I traditionally never bothered with any gear that was a name brand or hip in any way. I wore name brand shoes, but didn't care that it was a newer model or anything like that. I went through most of high school and college wearing 100% cotton shirts, mesh shorts, and 100% cotton socks. I had a stopwatch that at times did not have a face on it. I accepted inconveniences as a part of the sport. Advances in sports gear came along without me really understanding the point. Much of it seemed impractical to me and I hold to this day that much of it does not actually work. For example, I own a shirt that is not supposed to chafe, except they made it look more form fitting by adding a seam that goes just to the side of each nipple, which basically means a whole new type of chafing is caused by it. Some socks are designed to not cause friction or to keep your foot dry, but what that doesn't tell you is that your foot might slip in your shoe (no blisters because there's no friction!) or your foot drying out and requiring moisturizer (kept the foot dry all right!). I was at Target this past week looking for running clothes and concluded half of the sportswear was actually designed to be fashionable, but not functional. I've been trying more name brand running gear and so far I have been mostly impressed. My favorite shorts are C9 and I did not realize this at the time I bought them, because I did not know brands and just thought they seemed like they might work well. I started to get a few race shirts that I found were a cotton/polyester hybrid and I really liked those shirts. I have since come around to thinking much of this stuff is pretty darn good. I stumbled across an UnderArmour store in the Annapolis Mall. The stuff there is insanely expensive. I'm not likely to ever buy it. I've found that stores like Marshalls will sometimes have Nike or other name brand items on clearance, though. It's not always the right size or what you would normally pick out, but there can be some good deals. Phil has accumulated a few good discount shirts and I've added one or two to my collection. This has become my current strategy for getting good gear-- just check clearance areas in case something good happens to be there. I have to say that running on the NCR trail was very different from most of my running. The norm was for people to get out of the way and to say if they were coming from behind. The norm down here is people see each other, general confusion ensues, and you say hello to the person. I'm accustomed to the latter, so I keep my expectations pretty low for other people and instead place most of my concern on whether they have a kind demeanor.
                          philibusters

Hmm, I know Joe Dowgiallo blogged a little bit at a sports site. www.southernpigskin.com has an article I wrote on it.
                              I found your article somewhat educational. Plus, as a Maryland grad, I enjoy the topic! P.S. That site looks way more reputable than the one I contributed to.
                                My three new pairs of New Balance 757s came in the mail yesterday! I'm hoping to start wearing a pair ASAP if the rain will stay away. I noticed the insert in them is "ortho lite" and is different from the old inserts, which has me mildly concerned, but I'm hoping it's only a good difference.