Ultra Runners

October 2018 Ultra training thread (Read 40 times)

drock69

TMH - congrats! I've never done a 5k either, just with my son, I think we broke 30 minutes maybe. They have cross country races here this time of year, I've never done any though. Shortest trail race I've done is 25k

I'm thinking of doing a 'Fell' race, not sure if it meets the traditional definition. You start in a park, have to go to the top of a mountain, and another checkpoint, you make your own route. I don't know the area super well, so hoping to do it with a few people. Almost went to Mt. Beautiful a few weeks ago, so know that part at least, just not sure the best route from the park up to the other trails. I think it's free, and sounds kind of fun

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

nOOky

With the Bear done I'm considering running the Wild Duluth 100k again for the 5th year in a row. It's a very beautiful race in northern Minnesota. The only downside is that it's less than 3 weeks away. I think I'll wait until the week of and see how the weather shapes up, last year it was a mud-fest and I quit after 50k (thought due to PF not the mud).

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

RWD

With the Bear done I'm considering running the Wild Duluth 100k again for the 5th year in a row. It's a very beautiful race in northern Minnesota. The only downside is that it's less than 3 weeks away. I think I'll wait until the week of and see how the weather shapes up, last year it was a mud-fest and I quit after 50k (thought due to PF not the mud).

You could do Surf the Murph with me. (wait no nm I think registration is closed)

berylrunner

Rick

RWD -  Freaking sick again?

Treadmill - nice 5k race report.  Sounds fun.

Krash - huge month.

WC - Nice mileage

Fnkyhd - $500?  Wow.  This is a rich mans game.  Bring on the self supported adventures.

Gatsby - great that you volunteer and get the discounts.  It was a way that I got entries for a while.

Drock - I envy the area you live in.  Nice vert.

Nooky - another race?  go for it.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100

RWD

RWD -  Freaking sick again?

Yeah, I am really sensitive to sharp temperature drops. Unfortunately the weather got warm again after Superior, then cooled off again, so I got sick again. It's not bad and I'm able to run, but it's so annoying. I have tomorrow off from work so I'm going to sleep in. I went through a whole bottle of Zicam QuickMelts. Bleah.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Good luck on the Twin Cities marathon this weekend RWD!

edit: sorry ur not feeling well.

I got got all sorts of Tailwind because race according to info I had was Heed, then I actually took the time to read the race brochure and theY have Tailwind.  So now I’ll have a lot.  What I’m saying is I need to find a race next to use this stuff up, that’s all.  If I can take a break after next weekend, I may be motivated to do a winter race.

Last race I forgot my drop bag, apparently they’re mailing it.  It has my poles which I’ve never used for a race (just snow shoeing), so I’m hoping they get here. And e  which are spent anyway.  It’s not that they’re needed but I think at the end, it may just be nice to have to off load even a little and aid impaired balance.

Why I bring it up, is that the race manual says they give u a little sign to put on your steering wheel to remind you to pickup your drop bag, that’s cool.  They also mention the time change, so apparently I’m not the only one who shows up an hour late!

btw, I love when Halloween candy comes out, great for fueling runs with mini bars, also the rare mini Pay Days which are hard to find.

Ive some innovations for gear:  one is wrapping a couple feet of duct tape around a pencil to take with to put over blister gel bandaids or mole skin to help keep them on.  Or anything else that needs duct tape. The other which I have conceptualize but not made yet is a little pouch for backup batteries attached to your headlamp strap so you don’t have to go rooting around in the dark. Basically slip 3 AAAs end to end  in almost like a spee belt on the strap.  Pretty simple.   I wish I could sew, I want a pocket big enough to hold the stupid big iPhone.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

drock69

TMH - I had to get my drop bag mailed from my last race. Came back 2x and it wasn't there to pick up, I think the number fell off, so they were sure if it was someone in the 110k. Had a pair of Salomon shorts and my wool arm warmers, so was glad to get it back. I need to add duct tape to my 10 essentials, seems like it could be handy for a lot of things, including a blown out shoe etc. I haven't bothered with poles yet, might if I end up doing some longer mountainous events, they seem like a hassle on flat trails, passed a bunch of people with them at the end of the 55k I did

RWD - good luck at Twin Cities if you're doing it still!

BerylRunner - lots of vert when I get to the mountains, neighbourhood is just rolling hills.

FnkyHd - 500 doesn't seem bad for 100 miler to me, think I spent that much going to Whistler for WAM55, stayed 2 nights though. Planning more Fatass events next year, New Year's 50k is a fundraiser, so costs a bit, I want to do Van100, which I think is a free event

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

strambo

Ran 42 mi this week with a 30.2mi trail run today (Wildwood Trail-Portland). 1st time running over 20 miles, 1st marathon distance, 1st "ultra" distance.  3,800 elev. gain, 5:32:58.  Felt pretty good I guess, nothing seems broken!

I didn't feel like the time and $ of entering a 50k race.  Also 1st time taking in any sort of "nutrition" besides water during a run.  Had my 2x 17 oz bottles filled with Coke, 50oz Camelbak bladder 'o water and a 4.5oz Trail butter.  Had about 1 oz Coke, 8 oz water and 1/3 of the butter left.  No "bonk" but who knows if that rate would be enough to sustain a longer distance?  I guess I'll find out...

drock69

Strambo - congrats! That's a good time for a first almost 50k

Only 23mi for me this week in 3 runs, first week back running after a week off. Was going to do the Ginger Runner Global Run with a group this morning, not feeling great today so decided against it. Hopefully back to more of a normal week this week

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

berylrunner

Rick

60 miles for the week.  No long runs, lots of short sessions.  4 hill repeat sessions for 4500 gain and 1 session of intervals.  Started the week slow but then doubled on Wednesday, tripled on Thursday, and doubled on Friday.  Joined the 3:20 marathon group although that time is very optimistic, borderline unrealistic, for me.  First thing said is run more road, so starting the transition.  Still working on weight loss.  Ate pretty clean this week with minimal snacking, but stayed the same.  It's the booze again and the slowdown of non running activities.  50k in two weeks will be untapered and taken very easy.

Treadmill - interesting idea on the battery pouch but I would just carry a spare light.  Batteries in dropbags and don't hesitate asking a volunteer for help.  Batteries are the second most difficult task late in a race.  Tying a shoelace, first.

Drock - the fell race sounds interesting.  Any environmental concerns about going off trail?

Strambo - nice job on the 50k a fast time too.  Even more so carrying all those fluids.  Noticed you are kind of on the binge running schedule that I mastered over the years.  It got me to the finish line but i had much better results with more weekly mileage even though most of those miles seemed "junky".  Don't change if it is working though.  Everyone is different.  On nutrition you will need to start adding some solid food when the distance increases.  The electrolytes,salt pills, sports drinks, gels, NASIDS, are all overused, over rated, and overpriced, based on my observations.  I use in limited amounts, but giving the choice I like solids.  Again, find out what works for you through training and experimentation.

5-24  Bryce 100

strambo

berylrunner:

Thanks for the feedback!   Yeah, I agree a lot of fluids, the right amount for a self-sustained 30, but I decided early on during this run that for a race, I'd ditch one of the soft bottles and not have the Camelbak bladder full.  Aid stations are every 3-8 miles.

As far as solid food goes, can you explain why solid food matters as opposed to the same calories from non-solid food choices?  Just curious...I plan on eating solids later in longer distance races.

My weekly miles will stabilize and increase as time goes on.  I do err on the side of "under-training" vs. "over-training" so my back off weeks are really backed off.

RWD

Nice run, Strambo!

Thanks everyone for all the support with TCM! I did make it to the start, despite numerous little life events conspiring to keep me away. I had a HUGE positive split, thanks in part to starting a little too fast (which I was ok with, I just rolled with it knowing I could back off later) and also in part to a looming side stitch that required much walking. I finished in 5:32:55, which was just under my "C" goal which was also probably the most reasonable given my current training. I am undecided if I like road marathons or not.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

RW nice job! no way to prove a positive split isnt a good thng!

Strambo, nice job too. you dont have to race. its fun though!

Beryl, i hear you on limiting snacks and for me it's beer. sometimes work and life needs a little mellowing agent! my only saving grace is that i cant handle it like i used to and more than 3 i just go to bed...or start playing the uke and singing and scaring everyone away

Drock, i looked up that 100k. sounds like fun but only if you know the area

48.1M 3655' week. a good cross training week. got two short workouts in the garage and had a nice hour-long road ride. first one in quite a while and the surgery site was/is fine. my neck and back were bonkers though. need to get hunched over again to ride i guess.

thinking a lot about the dnf and why and thinking about some things that were happening:

-massive fatigue like ive never felt before

-i was eating but it was cheese and sandwiches and salty stuff. i was taking sports legs caps and a few scaps and drinking a lot of water

-peeing a lot and it was very clear. more clear than usual

was i getting hyponatremic? DW says you need dextrose to move the salt, so even if i was taking salt it doesn't mean it was getting absorbed. maybe i should have been taking gels earlier? i had some but was saving them for later.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

berylrunner

Rick

RWD - Congrats on the marathon.

Strambo - Way too big of a topic to discuss in a post.  The book "Feed Zone Portables" is really good.  Explains Gastric Emptying Rates, absorption, describes liquid and solid foods, breakdown of the gut lining, etc.  For me, I guess I am just lucky to have the rock gut but I have found too much liquid causes the sloshy gut and takes a long time to absorb unless I eat solids.  Another thing to consider is most sports drinks and gels have no fat and protein.  You need a balance to go for a long time.  I say start with solids with the first aid station.  Remember, 100 mile pace will be slower than anything you do in training.  Running slow on a full stomach is not too difficult.

Fnkyhd - nice week.  Good job on the X-training.  I will do some CSI on your report and see if I can come up with anything.  Also recommend that book to you and everyone else.  Note: I have no affiliation with Skratch labs or exclusively use their products.  They do make some decent chews, however.

5-24  Bryce 100

Pain is my friend

Loving the talk about food/fluids during races.  I have also been blessed with an iron gut.  I have some problems here and there. I have been listening to a post cast That has been helpful. Science of ultra, "13 carbohydrate for ultra athletes". Great stuff.

Last week was good for me.  52 miles with a long run with 4,000 ft of vert.  Did a killer speed work mid week. 12 X 3 min hard @ 10 miler pace and then 3 min recovery.  Almost running a half mile during the 3 min hard.  Running The Dugway 30k this weekend.  It will be a trainer for the 50k in Nov.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?