Ultra Runners

Ridgeway 85 race report (Read 252 times)

Here is a report of my recent Ridgeway 85 (actually 87 miles) challenge, I hope you enjoy it?

Ridgeway report

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

Good job. Sounds like a tough one.

How's the toe? Is it broken or just jammed?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

I have a feeling that it is just badly bruised, the main swelling seems to be around the joint and has spread out. It is very painful to bend it up and down so have been doing the usual RICE...I'll see if I can get away with wearing sandals at work tomorrow.

Jerry

Way to go Jerry!! I'm glad your toe didn't slow you down too much and I hope it's not broken. Were you mostly eating solid foods and soup the whole time?

~Sara
          It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Way to go Jerry!! I'm glad your toe didn't slow you down too much and I hope it's not broken. Were you mostly eating solid foods and soup the whole time?

I went for an X-Ray on Tuesday night as the upper foot was quite swollen but they found no stress fractures or breaks. I have been told to drink loads of cider to rest it, raise it and ice it. Back into shoes today, well running shoes, which at least allows me to walk about a lot.

The food intake was as I normally deal with it, for the first 40-50 miles of a race I normally eat fruit, bread, cakes, cereal bars, bits or slice ham/beef. After that I found that all I really fancied was the vegetable soup so had two bowls of that and 4 rounds (8 slices) of jam sandwiches.

At 60 miles I had two hot dogs with mustard and ketchup but after that the stomach began to shut up shop and I went over to my favourite concoction of banana milkshake and cake. Then Jelly Beans, nuun, hot sweet tea and then in the morning sweet black coffee.

I remember at 9.00am seeing salami on the CP table and had a good few pieces of that...my body told me what I wanted but it was obvious as the race went on the meals were much softer and more liquid as that is all it wanted to digest.

Jerry

Great report, Jerry!  Hope the toe is feeling better by  now.

You've  noted before some of the foods you eat, which just send my head a-shakin'.  It's hard to believe you can tolerate salami out there!  Goes right along with the peanut butter and bacon sandwiches that were being served at one of the last aid stations at WS.  My friend's pacer loved them.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

, which just send my head a-shakin'.  It's hard to believe you can tolerate salami out there!

Me too. I had probably around 5,000 calories of gels/shot blocks and maybe 500 calories of real food in my last race. Nothing sounded especially good, but real food, really didn't sound good.

Speaking of meat, they were offering bacon around mile 90. Ewww.

~Sara
                It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

OOOhhhh I have to disagree Big grin

When I got to the end of the run and had collapsed in my personal world of nausea this young guy approached me and asked if I wanted a bacon roll. I waited a bit and then saw him pan fry the bacon, put it in a soft white roll and then squirt a dollop of brown sauce on it.... I savoured every morsel of Earthbound, succulent, saliva inducing, ambrosia-like creation.

As for the salami, it has its place but after Ridgeway hotdogs are really high up in the food stuffs I can handle.Joking

Jerry

I have to disagree as well. I didn't have bacon (think I would have though if they had it) but at mile 75 I had a COLD Mcdonalds quarte pounder.  My body was tired of all the carbs and needed some good old fat. Perked me up like you wouldn't believe.

Great report Jerry! Congrats and continue to recover well! Glad to hear there is nothing broken!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson