Ultra Runners

Distractions (Read 493 times)

The Golden-Mantled Ground Squirrel

You are allowed a quick guffaw whilst reading this but it does have serious side to it. In recent times whilst running I have been very much on my own in dark, cold conditions, feeling decidedly uncomfortable either physically or mentally as I go for my goals. I have commented in a previous post (another board) how I found myself so absorbed in my run that I have left a few people behind me when I went into autopilot mode.

Wednesday's run of last week was a perfect example of me finding myself in a complete auto mode but this time it was because I had "put myself there!" This is where my friend the squirrel comes to help me.

Eddy the Squirrel comes out with me on Long runs and is often seen (in my minds eye) sitting gently on my right shoulder, he has the ability to vortex (hence Eddy) and glide  around my body to any place I choose for him to go. The ability for me to control his position also allows him to go to places that maybe hurting at that time or he may even go to other places so that I can "ignore" that pain. Eddy never talks, never argues but is a presence that is soothing and comforting to me.

Today, whilst Eddy was resting in my back pack, my buddy and I were coming to the last 5 miles of a very tough run and we had two more steep valley crossings to do to get back to the car. We were happy not to chat at that point so I practiced "juggling" two imaginary silver balls which were orbitting my head and decided to stop for a quick wee, my mate stopped near me and said "That is a nice view for someone to see from their bedroom window in the morning Jerry!"

I was so engrossed in my mental juggling that I had not  noticed that I was taking a wee break opposite the only house within about 1/2 mile!

Although it sounds silly, it really does work, just be careful not to do it on busy roads.

What are your experiences...am I off my rocker?

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

Are we talking weeing in public or imaginary friends?

I wish I could pull such a distraction out of my hat in those tough times, but it's never happened.  I mostly have to talk myself through it, mentally tell myself, "Go!  Left!  Right!  Left!  Right!"

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Chasing other runners is about the only thing I've found that works for me. Which is not too great, b/c often they're gone too far ahead to be catchable Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

who knows...

My first thought: does this imaginary squirrel carry with him/herself a lubricant to ease chafing?
          "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin
          Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Jerry, I'm actually kind of digging the though of this golden-mantled ground squirrel... I've downloaded several photos to use as inspiration/reminders and hope that I can visit with Eddy during my next long run.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Liz

pace sera, sera

You'll ruin your knees!

Can't say I have imaginary friends that go with me to "that place"... but I do get into the trance...often carries over the next day or so... had to stop myself more than once from blowing a big snot rocket on the walk into the office from the parking lot... not quite acceptable behavior in the headquarters of a Fortune 50 company!  Also, the temptation to let'er fly when out on a run in town whenever the urge hits me is hard to overcome sometimes...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

I don't think I been training for ultras long enough to experience it. There is some evidence to support physiological responses to where and how we direct our attention. I made have ADD . I enjoyed your story.
                Find the fun.
                Carl A

"I remember exactly what I said to Ron: 'Well, I wouldn't mind trying a 50-miler one day, but not a 100-miler. Those guys are mad. They hallucinate, you know.'"

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

"I remember exactly what I said to Ron: 'Well, I wouldn't mind trying a 50-miler one day, but not a 100-miler. Those guys are mad. They hallucinate, you know.'"

*snork!* 

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hee hee

I was out on an ultra along a canal, a very boring canal and it was to a point when you can't help have you mind wander but not to a point where you are totally distracted as there are loads of trip hazards. I got to the last checkpoint and jokingly said to the helper. "The swans told me that it is straight ahead now" He didn't even bat an eyelid and said "You need sugar mate, swans can't talk"

Jerry
                      A runners blog-updated daily

You'll ruin your knees!

Hee hee

I was out on an ultra along a canal, a very boring canal and it was to a point when you can't help have you mind wander but not to a point where you are totally distracted as there are loads of trip hazards. I got to the last checkpoint and jokingly said to the helper. "The swans told me that it is straight ahead now" He didn't even bat an eyelid and said "You need sugar mate, swans can't talk"

I approve of this^^^

I guess you didn't bother to tell him that you also talk with...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Hee hee

hahahaha!!!!

I got to the last checkpoint and jokingly said to the helper. "The swans told me that it is straight ahead now" He didn't even bat an eyelid and said "You need sugar mate, swans can't talk"

Ha!!!  (I can never think that fast on my feet . . . or my butt, for that matter . . . )

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Jerry - thank you for Eddy.

I summoned him several times during Rocky Raccoon. Sometimes he would sit on my shoulder and talk with me. Once, I sent him to scratch an itch on my calf with his lovely paws. Another time I joined him in running easy on a gerbil wheel - then we said, "This is stupid!" hopped off and darted through the woods as we were meant to.

Liz

pace sera, sera

You'll ruin your knees!

Jerry - thank you for Eddy.

I summoned him several times during Rocky Raccoon. Sometimes he would sit on my shoulder and talk with me. Once, I sent him to scratch an itch on my calf with his lovely paws. Another time I joined him in running easy on a gerbil wheel - then we said, "This is stupid!" hopped off and darted through the woods as we were meant to.

Were you the one who asked for nuts at the Dam Road aid station? 

Sorry we didn't get to meet.  I was responsible for the aid station you visited so very many times on your trek (I was the dude in Carhart overalls at the aid station).  I'm hoping you enjoyed yourself at RR and that you are recovering from your effort there. 

Are you from TX?

Lynn B