Ultra Runners

September 2018 Ultra training thread (Read 33 times)

how to modify a quote without duplicating it?

The button in the upper right of your post should have two options, quote and modify.  Looks like modify is above quote.

No surprise that Courtney is running strong at T200, at mile 124.  Jamil Coury isn't too far behind, 98.5, 6th place..  One friend is at mile 86 and two are at miles 71.

Bummer about your knee.  If you need to take it easy in the last two weeks before Mountain Lakes, it seems like that's a better option than doing stuff that makes the knee hurt.  You think it will last 100 miles?

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

berylrunner

Rick

Had to call it at 36 miles.  Feels like a DNF, but it was a smart move.  The event was really fun, small crowd as there are not to many Ultra runners in the area and other races going on.  First lap was a little hot.  Laps through the night were pleasant.  Started feeling knee pain after 4 laps (24 miles) and it did not get better.  I think my foot problem changed my gait just enough to stress the knee.  Decided work and my run streak was more important than trudging for more miles.  Maybe I was going to fast as my laps were around 1 hour even with walk breaks.  My fastest was 51 minutes leading the group.  That was fun.  Which left around a half hour to start the next lap.  The time passed quickly and surprisingly did not stiffen up that much.  At this point my Brother is still going at it.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

10 miles in 2:12 in cooler temps and the rain held off though I expected to get wet at any point. This qualifies as my last long run before NC24. The last couple months have raised my expectations a little. Barring hot, sunny weather I'm fairly confident of going over 50 miles and if everything goes well I may finally get my 100K.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

T Hound

Slower but happier

WC. Cooled off here too, to upper 60s cloudy some rain. Sure is nice.

9 mi on trail doing a lotof walk run transitions and pracicing w poles.  The last 25 mile of 100 miler im going to have them available for use.  I really like the stability, first time ive used them.

fnkyhd.  What about hip strengthening, that would help stableize the knee but not stress it.   I think my knee thing is PTFS too, not sure, but its where that tendon is.  A soft knee brace helps, so did poles today.  Rest seems like the best idea or cross training easy.

I saw Krash finished Wasatch!

Beryl.  The weird thing about that format is I’d worry about getting back then to stop and rest and because I’d sit down it was harder to get going.  Also people are dropping or just stopping if they got their miles so theres that temptation.  hope the knee heals up.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

RWD

Superior went well for some -- course records in the men's and women's races (women's winner was 5th overall). As for me, I did even worse than I did the first time I ran it, and that was my first marathon! I hiked almost the whole thing. Race report eventually.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Beryl & RW, nice jobs. Beryl how long is your run streak? WCR, that's nice you are feeling good and confident! Cpngrats Krash! write us a brief report

Gatsby, thanks. answering your question: no i do not think it will last 100 miles but i dont think anything will. ill be dragging for sure. one thing that gets me the most is the anxiety of what to do about it. ya there is rest but rest is relative...i was more exhausted after work yest4erday than i was at my last 50  - mentally anyway. i just went 6 miles easy and am considering the possibility that this soreness is a good thing in a way because it will force me to dial in a 10:00-11:00 pace. the soreness actually comes on when my knee is immobile for a while but it is a bit worse after running. that fact does not bode well for the 100

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

berylrunner

Rick

Beryl & RW, nice jobs. Beryl how long is your run streak? WCR, that's nice you are feeling good and confident! Cpngrats Krash! write us a brief report

Gatsby, thanks. answering your question: no i do not think it will last 100 miles but i dont think anything will. ill be dragging for sure. one thing that gets me the most is the anxiety of what to do about it. ya there is rest but rest is relative...i was more exhausted after work yest4erday than i was at my last 50  - mentally anyway. i just went 6 miles easy and am considering the possibility that this soreness is a good thing in a way because it will force me to dial in a 10:00-11:00 pace. the soreness actually comes on when my knee is immobile for a while but it is a bit worse after running. that fact does not bode well for the 100

A little over 11 months.  I really want to make it a year and then the pressure will be off.

Hope you figure out the knee.  After reading your post I did a lot of deep squats (no weight) and that seemed to help.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100

T Hound

Slower but happier

Last climb Kyle @ 197.9, Courtney 196.4

Looks Beautiful Day Recent Race Picks on FB

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

looks like Kyle edged her out. i was following a lot and it seemed like she pulled him along for most of it...or he was hunting her. amazing performance for both of them!!!

my week 30.6 M 2195'. all in the barn now, now to keep the barn from burning down for 2 weeks!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

My week 58 miles.  More walk/run today with poles.  Now just going to take it easy until the race next weekend.

drock69

Congrats Beryl, RWD and Crash! I was following the Tahoe 200, hard to imagine the winner's time is over 2 days. The first 2 had quite a gap on the rest of the field too

Got an email that the trail that most of my race in 2 weeks takes place on is currently closed, because of a grizzly in the area. There was an encounter with an off leash dog. Hopefully the trail reopens, and the grizzly has moved on. It effects all 4 race distances.

28 miles with 5800' of vert in 3 runs for me, and an hour of cycling. Yesterday I did a run with the Buntzen Burners, 15.3mi and 5000' of climbing. It started out raining, but didn't last. Really steep climb up to a plateau with a bunch of small lakes. Lots of viewpoints but they were all fogged in. Longest run since Squamish, body feels good overall, didn't want to push it, so just biked today. Feel mostly recovered, will be the hardest 50k I've done with 11,000' of vert

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

RWD

Here's my pity party race report from Superior.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Here's my pity party race report from Superior.

"...and I’ll treasure the finisher’s medal probably even more than I would have if I’d made my A goal". word.

hey and thanks for volunteering! i feel very selfish and humbled and privileged to run in these things and it really is because of all the people who volunteer their time to make it happen!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

nOOky

Sorry I didn't run into you RWD. After reading your report I thought it was funny because I think we all have the same kinds of thoughts. For instance I have run the 100 the past 3 years, but pacing Janet overnight everything seemed different somehow. Some of the trail seemed familiar, but some of it seemed completely different.

I was around the finish line area when you would have came in I think too. My intention was to pace my runner in the last 26.2 miles, however she was having trouble just before dark, so I ended up running overnight with her. I can say pacing and helping out is a whole different perspective on a race than being a runner, it was weird, I felt guilty somehow of slacking off lol.

I'm glad you finished, it was so nice out there for running, although I did not realize how warm the day must have gotten.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024