Ultra Runners

Rocky? (Read 462 times)

Kalsarikännit

Following along today.  Go SRL, JM and Bonkin!

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

SRL came through 40 and hour and a half ago.  I am hearing that the course is muddy and slow.

A pic of the course from someone who is there. 

Johnmass is in 16th place after 60 miles.

Looks like tough conditions.  I have a buddy going for his first 100.  He went through 40 miles just before 3:00 PM.

Kalsarikännit

Criminy.  Maas is participating the hell out of the event.  11th place at mile 80.

Sadly, srl dropped at mile 60. Sad After running 20+ miles on a strained/possibly broken foot bone (sesamoid). Way to give it a go Robert! I hope it's a quick recovery.

~Sara
            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Kalsarikännit

Sadly, srl dropped at mile 60. Sad After running 20+ miles on a strained/possibly broken foot bone (sesamoid). Way to give it a go Robert! I hope it's a quick recovery.

Damn.  I hope it is not that serious.

jjameson

Criminy.  Maas is participating the hell out of the event.  11th place at mile 80.

Maas is a great runner.  Ever look at his log?  I've battled against him at Superior, and he prevailed ...  Nice guy.

xor

So, the funny part.  When you wrote that I had passed 40 miles "an hour and a half ago", actually... after 40 miles, I spent an hour in the med tent. Then I went back out.  So I was really only 30 minutes into my third loop, which was barely even 2 miles. 

Event started in a big-time Texas thunderstorm.  The lightning and loud thunder were pretty cool. The wall-o-water rain, not so much.  The trails were immediately nasty.  Luckily, this would stop about 3 hours into the run.  Some stuff dried out, some got nastier.  Some of the mud was super slippery.  Lots of post-holing in ankle deep mud.

My first 20 miles went according to plan.  I wanted to run 4:20 loops (1 loop= 20 miles) during the day... I actually ran 4:05. A little fast, but I was eating lots and feeling good.

About halfway through the second loop, I started having really bizarre (to me) ball-of-the-foot pain.  I tried to shake it off... kept the same pace.  What I did not consciously realize was that I was compensating by landing a lot more on my heel than my midfoot. By M36, it was severe.  I would shuffle about a quarter mile and then stop and cry.  Then I was walking and stopping.  Then mostly crying.  I finished that loop sometime around 8:35... so 4:30 for the loop.

They took me to the med tent where the doctor decided to ice my foot.  Now, I've done ice before... but not like this.  Anyway, it was super painful until it numbed out.  But the side-effect was that it super-chilled me in my wet clothes and I got all white and pasty and hypothermic.

Fast forward... an hour later I was all warmed up.  The doctor decided that I had a strained/sprained/bruised sesamoid bone (or two).  Probably not broken, but headed that way perhaps.  Meanwhile, compensating with my heel also led to a massively inflammed/swollen plantar fascia and a bruised heel.

Did I drop?  I wanted to. I was 40 miles in and had also had an hour cool-down in the tent.  But I decided to try different shoes.  I put them on, and some dry clothes... tested it out, felt so-so... and off I went.  Around 9:35 on the clock.  Ugh.

That third loop was something.  I fell on my face a mile into it.  Again at two miles.  I saw my friends at the aid station... they convinced me to continue.

Off I went.  Running.  Then shuffling.  Then walking.  It got dark. Lots of walking.  I hung out at Dam Nation with Lynn for a few minutes and about 10 cheese quesadillas. More shuffling. And walking. At some point, a very large tree had fallen over the trail (side note: I didn't see it fall. In fact, when I came across it, I was like "wait, did this happen during the race? Have I hoped over the tree before??").  Luckily nobody got hurt.  More walking.  In the new shoes (and after aleve and lots of hot food), my foot did not hurt quite as much in the third loop... but the pain was building again, which is why I was slowing.

I finished my third loop (60 miles) at 15:13 on the clock.  Ugh.  I had wanted to be here at 13 hours.  Coming in to the aid station, I was moving at a brisk 18 minute/mile pace... and slowing. The pain was building.

I handed in my chip after lots of yelling by my friends not to do that... to sit down and "consider".  Yeah, I had just spent almost six hours on that loop considering.  I was slowing, it really hurt, and I had been told I might break it.  The math told me that if I walked, I could probably beat the cut-off and finish at 27-28 hours.  But the last 10 miles of shuffle walking had been painful.  40 more miles? No.

Pass.  (or Fail, depending on the word you want)

Do I regret stopping?

Oh hell yes.

Hurts a lot today.

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, shit happens. I hope you're OK and it's not a real show-stopper. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Marathon Maniac #957

Shoot Stevie Ray - 40 more miles to go when you're injured and in that kind of pain?  And it's not like you're a novice at this.  You made the right choice.  There will be other races, and likely to be sooner than they otherwise would have been if you had kept going and damaged your foot even further.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sorry to hear about your foot SRL, sounds like you made the right choice.  Hope the foot heals quickly!

Kalsarikännit

Do I regret stopping?

Oh hell yes.

I'm sorry.  And I wish that you wouldn't regret the decision.  This weekend wasn't meant to be.  Maybe you could have walked in for 40 miles, but what kind of a race would that have been?  It would have been a terrible experience and you would have been left with a terrible memory.  If you decide this is something you want to go after, there are plenty of 100's out there.  While you might not end up having a great experience (it is a 100 after all), it sure beats walking half the race and possibly injuring yourself further.

Besides, isn't this a new farthest distance for you?  That's something.  (Plus I bet you got to get nice and muddy.  Good times.)

You'll ruin your knees!

More later, but I just want to say that it was a pleasure serving and meeting my RA friends. It was a whipping to have the heavens open up as my watch alarm announce it was time to roll out of my tent to begin the day... SRL, you a or pretty hot for a guy, by the way. Conditions were nasty and we saw lots and lots of walking wounded into the wee hours. Although we were too busy to monitor the actual race, the leaders were quite impressive and I think Hal's time in those conditions is every bit as impressive as Ian's course record last year! I will let the other idiots chime in before commenting on their race. Amazing, I tell you.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

xor

WG, regarding distance... sort of.  As a pacer (including extra miles trying to find my runner), I managed 65ish at Keys.  But for me during a race of my own, yes, 60 is the farthest/furthest.  So that will be cool for Miwok.

4 of us traveled together from Seattle to run Rocky.  The person I normally pace dropped at 40.  I dropped at 60.  Another friend dropped at 86 (at Dam Nation... and had to wait until Bonkin (thanks!) gave her a ride).  One friend finished, and although he managed to go sub-24, he was trying for sub-20 and finished at 23:41.  But he DID finish.

Makes Hal, Karl, and Oswaldo's times so much more impressive to me.  Those were some sloppy damn trails.

My foot is a bit better, but not right.  The further/farther I am removed from my decision, the dumber it seems.  Weird how that mental bargaining process works.

It really was crazy... that rain at 5:00 AM was some of the worst I've ever seen in such a short amount of time. My team and I were driving through it, going 25mph down the interstate and not able to see a thing. Nuts! Billy even started 5 minutes late because it took us so long to get there.

I've run in rainy, muddy conditions. It sucks.

My wife had a good race, and came in at 10:32 in the 50. She was pretty happy with that. She crossed the line saying "I couldn't even think about doing 100, this is nuts, why would anyone ever subject themselves to that much pain for so long? Never again!" And guess what? She signed up for her first 100 last night. Smile (We're both doing Graveyard 100.)

My buddy Billy, who I started pacing at 60, had pneumonia for the past couple of months of training, and still hasn't gotten over it. It messed him up pretty good. He was moving slowly but consistently, and still in good spirits. We headed out at 60 and he immediately hit one of those dark mental spots. I kept him moving through it and we made it to Damnation. We did the out and back loop there, and he ran almost the whole loop. He knew he was against the cutoff and needed to pick it up. We made it back to Damnation and refueled. As we were about to head out, he said he was light-headed and needed to sit down. Of course, I told him no. He stood there for a bit, then said he really needed to. In the tent we went. He got a bit worse from there.He wasn't able to breathe well, and struggled to catch his breath even sitting down. He was pretty messed up. It was the right call to drop there.

Lynn ferried him and a few others with much lamer excuses to drop (I gave them all a hard time) a ride out and I ran back. Somehow, I beat them. Anyway, Billy spent an hour in the med tent, and then we got him out of there and back to the hotel. Once he warmed up and stopped moving, things settled down. He doesn't regret dropping... it was the right call. But, he hates that the whole pneumonia thing happened.

Billy's wife Kim also ran fer first 50 in 11:43 and was as happy as could be. Good times all around!

Lynn, it was nice to meet you. You run a great aid station! Thanks for your help and your commitment to stay out there in crap weather.