Ultra Runners

Tooting Bec 24hr race - high quality field (Read 229 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Hi guys. I know that most of you are State side (or elsewhere), but I thought you may be interested in this 24hr track race which was held in London this weekend. A really high quality field and the chance to qualify for the Commonwealth Championships in 2009 led to a new course record and a new Irish record. Link to list of competitors (short bio at end gives an idea of the quality of the field): http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/uk/ultras/24hour2008/program2008 Link to provisional results: http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/uk/ultras/24hour2008/results2008 I will be racing this event next year, so I went along to get some tips and to volunteer. I was amazed (and intimidated) by the pace that the leaders kept up.... a lot more training for me!

Carl A

Thanks for the info! The whole Sri Chinmoy thing has intrigued me for a while. If I can manage to get some more experience over the next few years, I hope to begin going to some these things too - they have a few on this side of the pond, some even within driving distance. Good luck in your training - I think it's great that you're steadily working toward this long-term goal.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Good luck with your training, Purdey. Right now, the thought of running 24 hours is exhausting.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Purdey

Self anointed title

Thanks! At the moment the thought of running more than 4hrs is exhausting! Next milestone race is a quick 50 miler down the Thames towpath in January. Aim is for under 9hrs.

Hi Purdey I ran through Tooting last week on that charity run and thought of you as I passed the track. I am very tempted in the Escape to Victory - 45 mile trail in and around Brighton on 17th May 2009. It may be a little too close to my Fell marathon in June 2009 but if you want a little jaunt we could join forces Big grin

Jerry
            A runners blog-updated daily

Purdey

Self anointed title

Hi Jerry - I've seen the Escape to Victory race advertised ... and it's under serious consideration!

Great news, I will see how my ultra in December goes as it is organised by the same people. From what I hear from some of my trail buddies who did the London to Brighton they are a pretty good organisation. From what I see they are local to Brighton so will know the area very well. Alternatively they are now advertising a downland trail marathon which apparently will have Ditchling Beacon highly featured Shocked. I am planning to marshall one of their races so that I can barter a free race with them

Jerry
                A runners blog-updated daily