Ultra Runners

WS 2011 (Read 807 times)

Crew access may be limited or eliminated at Robinson Flat, Duncan Canyon and Dusty Corners.

WHAT?!?!?!  How do they expect runners to manage a fully stocked aid station with volunteers and their drop bags?  Who is going to open their gel?  They want today's ultrarunner to be self-reliant for 30 miles?  What about the two car crewing system they have posted on their website?

Ridiculous.

Heh heh.

Anyone know how many miles a crew drives/travels to follow their runner?

Imminent Catastrophe

Crew access may be limited or eliminated at Robinson Flat, Duncan Canyon and Dusty Corners.

WHAT?!?!?!  How do they expect runners to manage a fully stocked aid station with volunteers and their drop bags?  Who is going to open their gel?  

That can be dangerous, I know a guy who broke a filling opening a gel. The pain and suffering was devastating.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Heh.  He cracked it on gu chomps.

In retrospect... when it comes to the gummy things, gu chomps' packaging is soooooo much easier to open than the stupid clif shot blocks (which my fingers typed originally as 'shit blocks').  I can't imagine what would have happened to his teeth if he'd had cliff products.

Anyone know how many miles a crew drives/travels to follow their runner?

10's of 1,000's.  At least that's what it felt like following our runner last year.  But what a blast!   Well, except for when it was around 1:00 a,.m. and we "lost" the car keys.  Yeah, that wasn't so much fun.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in and predict, like some others have, that Kilian will win WS100 this year.  I think he learned his lesson last year and will actually carry a water bottle with him.  I like Roes a lot and will be super excited if he wins again, but I suspect Kilian is the man to beat.

For the women, it's a lot harder to pick favorites, but I think Ellie Greenwood has a great shot to do it.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Heh.  He cracked it on gu chomps.

In retrospect... when it comes to the gummy things, gu chomps' packaging is soooooo much easier to open than the stupid clif shot blocks (which my fingers typed originally as 'shit blocks').  I can't imagine what would have happened to his teeth if he'd had cliff products.

Re packaging... I always cut open my Shot Bloks prior to my run. (Amazing how bad the Shot Blok packaging is when their Litter Leash for the gel is brilliant. [too bad they ruined the gel with their new formula Tight lips])

Now, back to your prognosticating...

Liz

pace sera, sera

Imminent Catastrophe

For the women, it's a lot harder to pick favorites, but I think Ellie Greenwood has a great shot to do it.

She won't win, but I'll be watching Amy Palmiero-Winters. That's True Grit. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Kalsarikännit

+1

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Re packaging... I always cut open my Shot Bloks prior to my run. (Amazing how bad the Shot Blok packaging is when their Litter Leash for the gel is brilliant. [too bad they ruined the gel with their new formula Tight lips])

Ugh! Seriously the new Vanilla is like pre-packaged-puked-up gel. So gross. Makes me sad.

~Sara
                    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

I thought this was cool, considering the writer.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Kalsarikännit

After giving it some thought, if I was a gambling woman, I would go with Jornet. He is a great mountain runner and with age he has to just get better (and smarter).

Roes has to be the front runner, and if this was a shorter distance I would go with Mackey.

Vegas has to have odds on this. They have odds on EVERYTHING.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

I am with you WG - The only reason for pause is I think Roes is a great snow runner and they will likely be running on a lot of that.  I would still go with Killian then Roes - Although it would be his 1st loss at 100 ... Which I am all for - Not that I dislike the man - I just think it would help him grow. 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

The King of Beasts

There is a solid chance (in my mind at least {scary place that it is}) that the top 2 or 3 go out HARD and SLAM the first 60-80 miles and die. And someone that was in 3 - 5 wins it or comes in second. and yea thats what happned last year.

Killian, Roes, Mackey in the lead pack. Hal if hes smart might hang back just a bit and pick up a good spot.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Seanv2

I just watched an interview with Roes on irunfar. It was... weird. I think he is battling a cold or something and doesn't seem all that excited about the race.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

DoppleBock

One of his recent blog posts - was something like - The true joy of running is what you do each day - enjoying the trails - mountains etc - For now once a month he can get up to racing all out - But he makes it sound like that will end soon enough ... Basically sounded like he was not "Up" for the race - So either he was trying to lay low and be a cool cat - or he is just no into it.

I just watched an interview with Roes on irunfar. It was... weird. I think he is battling a cold or something and doesn't seem all that excited about the race.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !