Ultra Runners

RWOL Ultra marathon forum.... (Read 89 times)

And in other news, congrats to SeattleMax for finishing Moab last night!  3 days and 18 hours, if I'm reading the site correctly.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

And in other news, congrats to SeattleMax for finishing Moab last night!  3 days and 18 hours, if I'm reading the site correctly.

And apparently in 33rd place overall.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Amazing job SeaMax, I am! a little put out you haven't finished and posted your RR  But sure it will be worth the wait!

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

good luck tomorrow RW & Jay! hope your weather is better than ours Smile

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

RWD

good luck tomorrow RW & Jay! hope your weather is better than ours Smile

It wasn't great. I DNF today only 11 miles in -- I thought I was over my cold. Hit the two powerlines hills a little over 5 miles in and my heart went crazy. I had to regroup at the aid station and then once I got back on the trail, felt faint and clammy and stood there for probably 10 minutes trying to decide if I should turn around or not. I kept going but any time there was even a small climb, I was totally out of breath and was stopping multiple times. There was just too much crud in my lungs, I guess. I considered walking it in since the cutoffs are super generous for the 50K due to the 100K being an out and back, but I didn't have a headlamp and it was raining off and on (and actually started raining pretty steadily while I was at the 11 mi aid station waiting for a ride) and I was concerned about keeping warm. I'm disappointed, but feel like I made a safe decision.

Jay is still out there on the course, I passed him on his way out. He was looking good but the trail conditions really deteriorated as the day went on so I'm sure he's full of mud.

drock69

Seamax - 240 miles is amazing, great job pulling that off!

RWD - how frustrating, you've had a string of bad luck, I hope things turn around for you! Weather sounds brutal, I think you made the right decision

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

T Hound

Slower but happier

If anybody has a Reddit account a Simco in the tradlandultrarunning reddit posted a google doc with all the 100 mile races in the US with links to their website, strava link, medal:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cRyqzQ36nPLMVzHWurTdw6tkRXv_4xXH2Y34qEJ5dbU/edit#gid=0

T Hound

Slower but happier

RWD  sorry to hear your not feeling well.  It never easy to bale on a race but I tell myself there is always another race.

berylrunner

Rick

81 mile week, 10,700 gain.  Long run/hike of 50 miles, 8100 gain, called the Trans-Zion trek.  Perfect weather, so so scenery (kidding of course, can't think of a prettier 50 mile route).  Fourth time for me, second for one brother, and first for another brother and sister in-law.  What a way to have a family reunion.

RWD - sorry to hear about the race and hopefully you get the lung crud figured out.

Max - Congratulations.

Drock - nice gain last week.

Fnkyhd - sorry about the weather.  Send some moisture my way.  Dry as a bone and I am ready for ski season.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

T Hound

Slower but happier

Weekly Summary
                      Monday, Oct 16, 2017 thru Sunday, Oct 22, 2017

Day Miles Pace Description Link
                      Mon     rest  
                      Tue 7   easy hills  
                      Wed 6   easy  
                      Thu 10.0 11:11 trail Most beautiful day of the year strava
                            rest  
                      Sat 20.0 10:58 trail LR Finished up in the dark for 1 hr. Kinda spooky being all alone. strava
                      Sun 10.0 12:12 Rain and cold=salted cocoa recovery, walk/run.  strava
                        53 N/A

Berly:  nice week wow, traverse sounds great,  I want to do a Teton reverse, I think its 30 mi/8000 ft? so apparently not too bad.

Training:  starting Tunnel HIll taper.  I been following Coree Woltering hes going for 50 mile trail record.  I think I first saw him at Tunnel 50 mi in 2014 blast by me, not sure was just a blur :}

My hip and ITB starting agitating this week.  Its pretty typical that I feel any injuries during my second week after a race.  My cardinal rules are build up after like I taper before (which I didn't and did more miles than I should have), and also more importantly avoid workouts, which I ignored and did a tempo albeit day 8 post race.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results- not sure who said that but now I have to get this healed up in the next few weeks.

Today I started walk run.  I did 5:5 interval and then a 10 min:5 min interval which I liked better.  It was cold and rainy so I would get too cold which I could see being an issue if it rains.  I feel stupid for not doing more of this.  It feels great recovery wise and I think for the 100 mi it will make more sense given my goal times.  I just have to run some numbers to see what different paces look like in terms of time.  I can walk comfortably 14-15 min/mi, I can see this deteriorating toward the end.  The thing I don't know is what my running will look like after doing this for 50 miles.

QOTD:  Have you used a walk run strategy in a 100, besides the usual walk the hills?  For example a fixed ratio through the whole thing.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

RW, i hope you get rid of that crud! ugh! no good!

Beryl, amazing week! good to see you moving strong. sounds like a great reulnion.

Seamax, i hope you are recovering well and writing something!

Hound, on the hip & itb - do you roll those out?

had a decent week cut back one day of running. 48 miles ~4k vert. my ambit 2 cheats me on vert, i know that now because i also have an ambit 3 which gives me more for the same routes. ill wear the 3 next sat at the 6-hour run/hike. not feeling like this will be my best outing but im just hoping to come away with a good workout and no owies.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

skim1124

Running to eat

81 mile week, 10,700 gain.  Long run/hike of 50 miles, 8100 gain, called the Trans-Zion trek.  Perfect weather, so so scenery (kidding of course, can't think of a prettier 50 mile route).  Fourth time for me, second for one brother, and first for another brother and sister in-law.  What a way to have a family reunion.

Sounds like a great way to spend time with loved ones.  I'm jealous.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

drock69

Cutback week, had hip flexor problems, so had to bail on one run. Seems to be getting a bit better. Another easy taper week, trail marathon on Saturday.

Weekly Summary
                            Monday, Oct 16, 2017 thru Sunday, Oct 22, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                            Tue 6.3 10:12 10km — Mountainview — Recovery run with 30s hill sprints 406 strava
                            Tue 2.3 14:27 Lunch Walk - between storms 170 strava
                            Wed 0.9 10:45 Hip flexor (psoas) fail 26 strava
                            Fri 7.4 9:59 11.9km — QE Park — Easy Run, hip flexor better 482 strava
                            Fri 2.2 15:13 Lunch Walk 170 strava
                            Sat 7.5 9:52 12km — QE Park — Easy Run 455 strava
                            Sun 15.5 9:23 25km — Ghost Race for the middle 8km — steady state to hm pace 1060 strava
                              42.1 10:18   2769  

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

RWD

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I am really bummed. I kept thinking "a real ultrarunner wouldn't have quit." A friend of mine finished the 50K in 14 hours -- she had mishap after mishap, but she made it. However, two days later, the cough isn't any better and I have to get on a plane tomorrow for work. I can't imagine what even another 5 miles (in the rain for at least an hour) would have taken out of me.

I have plans to run a 50K in Eau Claire in 2 weeks instead. Hopefully I'm over this cold by then! And don't pick anything else up at the airport this week, woooo.

drock69

RWD - you might have made your cold a lot worse too, could develop into bronchitis or pneumonia (I don't know if the science supports that, it's what you often hear though). Running hard while sick isn't recommended, hoping for a good 50k for you in 2 weeks

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19