Ultra Runners

March 2020 Ultra Training Thread (Read 29 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

People literally do not read anything except how much a race costs, the distance, and maybe the start time.

I guess I race so much and have for so many years that I assume everyone knows entry fees are nonrefundable.  I've missed a few races now and then due to illness, injury, or weather, so have experienced it first hand.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
          06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Pain is my friend

Finished the week with 58.9 miles and 6800 ft vert. It’s a taper week. No 50k next week. Time to ramp it back up.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Went out for a LR today in lieu of my race, 21 miles, 4600' of elevation gain.  Ran the southern end of the course for Miwok in May (if it still happens... they're monitoring things...).  Rainy, muddy, fresh, and green.  Lots of people out for a run since the race there today was canceled (which I was going to do).  Really enjoyed the day.

The view from SCA Trail.  Hwy 101 to the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco beyond.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

35M 3000' vert. 20 miler monday and then nothing until Saturday. tried a recovery run tues but pain in the calf stopped me. doing some light cycling. started my new job but it was a nightmare. couldnt get away from there fast enough. nrr but the whole story is here: https://fnkyhd.wordpress.com/2020/03/14/bad-craziness/

might never try to work for the man again

chuckanut  & cottontail cancelled. running just for fun & fitness now or maybe something self supported. maybe go for a 50kpr if i dont get sick from that place. staying away from people which is actually normal for me 

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

More postponements from Aravaipa

3/22 Dam Good Run
            3/28 Crown King Scramble
            4/4 Tonto Mountain
            4/18 Whiskey Basin
            4/24-25 Sinister Rides/Runs
            5/2 Hotfoot Hamster

Thankful now that I didn't plan to return to Whiskey Basin this year.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                  06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

My week: 39 miles, 6000' vert, most of that yesterday.  Miwok said they will announce on April 2nd whether the race goes forward on May 2nd.  If the rate of infection drops "steeply" by the end of March, they say it's possible the race will happen, but it depends on what the permitting agencies and government are recommending at that time.

If I were a betting man, I'd say it's unlikely.  But I'm not a man and I don't bet.    Either way, it'll be okay.  It's a race.  There will be more races.  And I'll just be that much better trained for them.

Strange times.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Apparently CDC has recommended no more than 50 people gatherings over the next 8 weeks, a lot of running groups on Facebook are suspecting a lot more races will be canceled.

St. Louis canceled their March 29ty marathon and now I'm hoping (and praying) that The Backside Trail Marathon (April 26th) doesn't get canceled ☹

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

nOOky

24.9 for the week, been having hamstring issues so the running got reduced. I can still bike without affecting it (AFAIK) so I do have 87.5 miles on the fat bike for the week.

I'm assuming Ice Age will be cancelled, hopefully things will settle down by Tahoe in July.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

berylrunner

Rick

About 40 for the week.  Had a good start but then the week went to crap with the news and the weather.   Assuming the cancelation email for Zion will come any day.  It's ok.  I need to figure out my hip issues and get some work done.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100 - 29:38, 18th place

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm sorta ok if they cancel Backside Trail, because I've got some issues with my ankles and Achilles still to figure out.

2020's A goal is the Stump Jump 50k in Autumn so I won't complain too much about other cancellations as long as that one isn't.

Back day at the gym, then an easy 6.1 miles done.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

My 50k went pretty well. It was pretty cool and drizzly a lot of the time. Largely with a crossing tailwind to start, but then headwind the majority of the way back (course was basically a big lollipop).
                        A couple water features - two big "puddles" that formed in troughs between hills and a creek that ran through the road - made things interesting.
                        My legs started feeling Cowtown (12 days prior) around mile 18, but otherwise felt better than they had since before Cowtown.
                        Made it 22 miles before starting to run/walk, but only stopped briefly at the aid station just after the marathon distance to refill a bottle (had to ask a volunteer to take the top off since my hands were too cold to manage it).
                        Ran the last couple miles with a "local sub-elite" guy I've followed on Strava for a while but hadn't actually met.

Some lessons learned: my waist pack worked really well and was comfortable, but I could have done better hydrating. Not sure if having bottle(s) in front as in a vest would have brought it to mind more. I was a bit surprised that almost everyone had a vest or pack - not many people used a waist pack or handheld alone.
                        Don't trust the elevation gain/loss reported by the .GPX file of the route - everyone I talked to afterwards hit that elevation by halfway, and had ~double the reported amount. Interestingly, all of our barometric altimeter equipped watches were within 200' of elevation gain for the course.
                        I'll probably think of more later.

The OKC Marathon has been postponed until Oct. 4 - the day after a higher priority half. 26.2 mi recovery run, anyone?

OKC was my best chance to get a BQ for 2021 - not sure that I'll be able to make that happen now.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

Just a dude.

63 miles this week with almost 6500 feet of climbing...

Had a really rough 22 miler on Sunday. Tried a course that looked great on google maps, but was not great running it and was worse in the weather. So many rocks. So much snow and mud. Had a place where the dirt road was gated off and I had to hike around. But, I survived...

Trying to keep motivation up. I'm hoping to race in May, but it just feels like everything everywhere will be cancelled... :-/

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Miwok was canceled.

small local half marathon trail run was canceled. It was going to be a training run for TRT.

Tahoe Rim Trail currently says they are still planning on having the race.

2020 might be the year I take up cycling.

39 miles

1700 ft of climbing.

all asphalt.

I've lost motivation to train for anything.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Brew, where did you see that Miwok was cancelled?  I’ve no doubt that’s coming, but I haven’t seen any official announcements.

Pain is my friend

Got in 59 miles last week with 7k of vert.  Was a great week until they canceled my 50k.  I will go out and run part of the course but then through in a craze climb and variation to the end. No more taper for me. Time to get back at it.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?