Ultra Runners

For Those Who Use the 5-1 Run/Walk Ratio (Read 346 times)

Disregarding hills (since I walk all of them): 1. How strict are you about adhering to this? 2. Do you let terrain dictate at all, i.e., if you're on a nice, easy downhill and it's time to walk for a minute, do you go ahead and finish the hill then change to the walk? 3. Do you do all of your training runs with the 5/1? I'm going to be participating in my first 50k next month. I think instituting this will be a big help. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I am interested to see how the seasoned Ultra runners will answer this. I have been working an 8/2 ratio on the flats or flatish hills. I try to run all of the downhills and walk the ups. If I get on a hill thats longer than 8 minutes I run the whole thing. My problem has been my long runs have been so hilly I found I was doing as much walking as running. I started to get a little concerned that I wasn't really training to 'run' long stretches of flat.
      If you're bored ask why you're boring
        Maybe I'll try this question over on kickrunners. Sherpagirl, I'll let you know what kind of answers I get.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Krista - If you can follow this link, there are good comments re a run/walk ratio from the folks over at kickrunners: http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=762233#post762233

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

Thanks
            sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I read the link and it sounds like I am on the right track. I guess I'll get to try it out in my first race of the season. Its only a 25 mile training race but its a race. SG
                Good luck! The folks over at kickrunners are loaded with experience and wisdom. Many of them migrated there when Coolrunning fell apart.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance