Ultra Runners

March 2020 Ultra Training Thread (Read 29 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Crushed it, 47 miles. More details when I get home on my PC.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
          06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

T Hound

Slower but happier

catching up,

Skim saw you finished TNF 100k congrats and great time.   Hennepin is super fast you’ll blaze that one.  

Somebody asked About casual day to day shoes:  Altra has casual shoes.  I wore a pair awhile before even trying Trail ones for about 3 months.  I wear all black Bondis now to work. I know it’s not dress but I think they look okay and so comfortable. Especially if you have a broken toe then femur.

I got the okay to take my leg brace off and start some biking/ walking.  Went for a little hike.  First time in months.  I’m okay hiking.  I do need to start some strength training.  My broken leg has lost a lot of muscle.  I’m grateful this all happened in the cold months, not the warm.  I am a little nervous thinking about running on trails/falling, but that’s a long way off.  I’ve always fallen spectacularly.  Now I wonder if it wasn’t dumb luck.  But falling on dirt is much safer than concrete.  

nice job Fnkyhd.  Last 15k Trail I ran was so long ago I forgot time but they had Lagunitas keg truck at the finish. Nothing like a cold bear at 10 am after a hot July race.

I bought a water filter that can screw on a bottle or hook inline with a bladder tube.  I thought that was a nice functionality.  It was at the Amazon store and the guy asked what It was for.  I told him the upcoming zombie apocalypse.  Kinda the truth should I ever need it in a race or irl.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

WCR wow that's great! congrats, looking forward to rreport.

Thound, hope you can get running soon. zombie apocalypse was just the first wave, we still in that here. second wave is pestilence i guess? unfortunately no beer at the finish.  it was the hot chocolate run and they had a thing 'party' at the end. it said "get your mug here" so i went up thinking i was going to get a mug. someone handed me a paper tray with a paper cup of hot cocoa and some other sugary stuff and melted chocolate all over my hand. i handed it back and asked for a napkin but they all looked just confused. i am standing there with hot dripping gooey mess all over my hand and they cant figure out why i dont want to lick my fingers? jeez. so many people are so very dumb. i had to wipe it on my shorts. i think ill do a yelp review Smile

45M 1500' week. all recovery. some mild sprain in my tibial/calf area (flexors?) kinda expected though after the race effort. just taking it easy all week with calf sleeves on. and had a 6M walk today to round things out. other life stuff made for a stressful week also probably hampering my recovery. 2 weeks to chuckanut! i hope they dont cancel it. might add a tiny bottle of purell to my race kit (if can get one)!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Just a dude.

Nice runs/races guys.

My week was a bit of a cutback week. Total 52 miles. Long run of about 20 miles but with only 2200 feet of elevation gain. Only about 3300 elevation total for the week. Only got off the roads twice. I had 3 days where getting out to run was tough schedule wise...

Lost a little bit of weight, but not my best week. Ended up being down 10 in February so I'm making progress...

I hope next week is a good and healthy one for everyone!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

WC, nice job!  Looking forward to the RR.

T Hound, good news that your leg is healing and you're more mobile.

Funky, ick on the hot chocolate mess.

KellyDodge, down 10 is progress, good job.

Had a 60 minute run on the schedule today so I joined some friends at a small 10k in Golden Gate Park.  Put on by a running club in the city.  Pace was somewhere between easy and racing, 54:06.  Not a big week, but seems like they never are any more, lol.  34.4 miles, 2250' vert.  50k on Saturday.

The race started/finished here at the windmill.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

RWD

Way to go, WCR! What an awesome result! Gatsby, that's a lovely photo. Hi T Hound, missed ya! Fnky, just as grumpy as ever, I see.

It was 60F here in the Twin Cities, so I did my first double digit run in a long time. It felt okay, I didn't really fuel that well so I wasn't expecting it to be amazing. Hordes of people were out so I ended up having to slow down/dodge them, as well as deal with their dogs on retractable leashes. There was some soft snow I had to deal with that slowed me down at times, but my biggest problem was some stiffness/pain in my hips and lower back. Gotta do some more exercises to keep things loose. But I think I'm finally over my cold!

berylrunner

Rick

A decent week of 67 miles and 5500 gain.  Got some good rocky trail miles helping with a local Ultra.  Got to cheer on a lot of friends. 

WC, nice miles.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100 - 29:38, 18th place

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Just finished my race report and posted in Trail Trash

2024 Races:

skim1124

Running to eat

Ran 46 miles and played some basketball last week and got over the sickness, so a good week.

Congrats to WCR for meeting so many goals at the race.  Nice!  Enjoy the well-earned break.

T Hound: good to hear the news about the improvement with your leg injury.  I hope the rest of 2020 will be a time of getting stronger and getting back into running,

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Fnky, just as grumpy as ever, I see.

i put a smiley face on it. doesnt that help? 

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

nOOky

Just finished my race report and posted in Trail Trash

Congrats on a good day, and exceeding your goals so early in the year!

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

drock69

wcrunner - congrats!

40 miles in 3 runs for me this week, 25 mile trail run yesterday, with 5800' of gain, 6824' of gain for the week. Calf was giving me problems a bit, so took a few rest days. Felt okay on the long run, seemed to improve as it warmed up. Chuckanut in less than 2 weeks, so should be a shorter long run this week. Been wearing calf sleeves this week, not when running though

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Delano Park 12-hour results are now posted to DUV.  I'm going to enjoy this while I can because I don't think it will last too long

2024 Races:

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

WCR, congrats! might last a long time!

how is everyone dealing with the news? Chuckanut was "postponed". i hope they give us the option of refund if they reschedule it. events of 250 ppl or more prohibited in my county. schools closed. time to stay home as much as possible. at least the internet still works *knock on wood*

i had a plan if they were still going to run it. carry all food i need and only touch something to get water and carry a little purell to sanitize it if i dont run out by then

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WCR, congrats! might last a long time!

how is everyone dealing with the news? Chuckanut was "postponed". i hope they give us the option of refund if they reschedule it. events of 250 ppl or more prohibited in my county. schools closed. time to stay home as much as possible. at least the internet still works *knock on wood*

i had a plan if they were still going to run it. carry all food i need and only touch something to get water and carry a little purell to sanitize it if i dont run out by then

Next race isn't until May 16th, then no more until July.  Hopefully two months will be enough for the pandemic to be under control and the races can go on a planned.  None of them involve air travel.

2024 Races: