Ultra Runners

March 2020 Ultra Training Thread (Read 29 times)

nOOky

Congrats on being number 1 George!

I'm hoping my race in may goes as scheduled, but I won't be heart broken if it doesn't. It would be nice to know if things will be settled down by July for Tahoe as we travel and will spend enough money to fly and stay that we don't want to just lose it.

As for cancelling races and refunds, I fully understand that many things such as permits etc. need to be paid for in advance, so I'm not too upset about it, If it happens, it would be cool if the RD's give those people preferred entry for the next year though.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Just a dude.

Congrats WCR. You may be there all year...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

WCR - That's awesome, congratulations!

Heading out for a 50k on dirt roads in the morning. No time goals, just wanting to finish and have some fun.

The RD sent out an email a couple hours ago saying that though the race is going on they will do deferrals for next year (no refunds, and paying for next year's guaranteed entry of course). He did say they've had a ton of cancellations from people coming internationally and from the coasts.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

RWD

WCR, that's amazing!!! Thank you for sharing that with us, that's really fun.

I'm really glad I didn't sign up for any races now! I will wait and see what happens; I'm not worried about getting sick, more about putting up money for a canceled race. I have two weekends free that I didn't anticipate having free, since this weekend's hockey games and next weekend's hockey tournament were both canceled, so I can get in some long runs. I'm still thinking about Chippewa 50K, Med City Marathon, and *maybe* Grandma's. My SIL and her dad are running it already.

My 50k on Sat was just cancelled. No biggie for me. It was a freebie, just a long training run. I’ll probably go run there on Sat anyway.  Mostly I feel bad for the RDs.  These are small races, family businesses.  Hopefully people aren’t a$$holes about it.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

My 50k on Sat was just cancelled. No biggie for me. It was a freebie, just a long training run. I’ll probably go run there on Sat anyway.  Mostly I feel bad for the RDs.  These are small races, family businesses.  Hopefully people aren’t a$$holes about it.

don't get me wrong i wasnt trying to be an a$$. i am always grateful for what they do and allowing me to participate, it''s just that i rather they cancel instead of postpone because ive got the rest of the summer already lined up. im not mad about it either. i think they made the right decision. this outbreak has actually been with us for a while. i was arguing with DD's school weeks ago and work and everything stopping should have happened a month ago, it would have been a much better outcome...

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Gosh no, not talking about you. There's some real griping out there.  Of course I should know better than to read comments on FB posts...

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Gosh no, not talking about you. There's some real griping out there.  Of course I should know better than to read comments on FB posts...

They should know better.  Almost every entry form has a disclaimer stating registration fees are nonrefundable.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                        06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Since my 5k and my half marathons have been canceled I can start focusing on the Tahoe Rim Trail 50 miler training. Not sure how to do this other than switch from running roads all the time to running trails and getting more vertical gain. It might be required if I still want to jump into Silver State. There is a trail half marathon in about 3 weeks with over 2,000 ft of gain.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

RWD

They should know better.  Almost every entry form has a disclaimer stating registration fees are nonrefundable.

People literally do not read anything except how much a race costs, the distance, and maybe the start time.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

but i deserved it.  my wording was poor, as usual and i should clear this up. i didnt mean to indicate i would demand a refund (even though thats exactly how it reads) so i sent the message below to the RD's in case they got wind of what I said. i have no good excuse except maybe i was distracted. they run a great event and it's a real value. plus i donate to my local carkeek races about $100 extra per year just because it's a small event and i want to help them keep it going. i am a lot of things and many pejoratives may apply to me but i am not greedy...well maybe a little in investing but that's expected.

"Hi Krissy, Kevin, Tyler. I support your decision to postpone the race. Personally I would have done so much sooner. It is my opinion however that it should either be cancelled entirely or run in the Fall as most runners' event schedules for Summer are likely already full. In the case of cancellation I will donate my entry fee".

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Running Problem

Problem Child

People literally do not read anything except how much a race costs, the distance, and maybe the start time.

This is all I read. I don’t even read the course map most of the time. I glance at it. I don’t check out mile markers or anything like that.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

skim1124

Running to eat

Finished a 50-mile week with a good game of basketball.

I sure hope my October race doesn't get cancelled.  It'd greatly reduce my motivation for (serious) training/running.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Major news for the multi-day racers.  The Sri Chinmoy 10-day and 6-day races in NYC have been cancelled.

Ultrarunning magazine has a list of cancelled ultras they know of

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                    06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

berylrunner

Rick

Having worked for a race company, I can confirm this.   As for a runner who occasionally races, I can confirm this.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100 - 29:38, 18th place