Ultra Runners

March 2020 Ultra Training Thread (Read 29 times)

Pain is my friend

I will have to look again. But I thought it was 4.1 miles in an hour.

i was looking all over the page to find out how frequent is the bell and thought it was maybe a secret. something i guess i should have known 

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Looking for an Ultra to run? How about the quarantine Backyard Ultra

Quarantine Backyard Ultra

I just signed up.  Probably only doing around 5 laps but better than going it alone.

7.6 miles today with intervals.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

QOTD: how would you train for maximum immune function?

DW is one of the heroes working the ICU and the "covid cove" as they call it in unsafe conditions without proper PPE (unsafe AND illegal). when she goes off to work it's like she is going off to war. it really is bad. the c19 patients that get intubated have very high mortality-like almost 100% so far. anyway i am trying to think of how i can keep our immune systems strong. so far this and a new pseudoinjury it's 1-2 hours a day jogging or cycling and so far no workouts except leg day.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Funky, your wife is a hero, no doubt.

For me, getting sleep is essential to staying healthy.  I don’t sleep that well but if I can cobble together 6-7 hours I’m okay.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

here's a video how to make a ginger/flour/wine plaster for pseudoinjuries in the leg. it works amaingly well!

https://youtu.be/ymiW_pU-RwI

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Aaaand WS has been cancelled.  I don’t think anyone who posts here is directly affected other than me (no aid station duties now).  I think it was the right thing to do (their announcement explains their reasoning). It’s still big symbolic bummer.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Funky Isolation. It's the best way to keep the immune system strong. My wife who works IT at the hospital said if she has to start helping/working at the main hospital me and our son aren't going to be home. Her hospital has already sent out the email pretty much saying "You're all hospital employees. You'll be helping out as necessary should we need you to help." So she doesn't want it to spread.

Oh and also just avoiding society. the TWO places I went to had people who didn't care about the whole 6 feet of space. One was a group of three people talkign about the quarentine movies they're watching (outbreak, the stand, etc.) and whenever I'd move forward they'd get closer. Three feet? sure. Me coughing due to saliva didn't even phase them. At least they moved slightly back when I had to walk past them. The second was a gas station. They taped squares on the floor. Guy ahead of me didn't care. Can't imagine why countries are going into full lockdown. I mean...the whole "groups of less than 10" and "stay 6 feet or more apart" is obviously working. (facepalm).

Gatsby I knew a few people who were in it. I'd considered going to either pace again, or maybe just cheer them on for a quick second. I MIGHT have even offered to work your aid station since it's kind of a memorable moment for me. Except for the giant penguins wearing Santa hats.

I took the opportunity to run some trails. Either it was mental, or the second run with elevation was actually harder. I'm also trying to figure out why my achellies tendon is bothering me. It's hurt ever since I was pushing myself on a shopping cart and riding it last Friday. Probably ripped a muscle or slightly tore it. It hurts right where this photo shoes.  At least I got my toilet paper.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Funky Isolation. It's the best way to keep the immune system strong. My wife who works IT at the hospital said if she has to start helping/working at the main hospital me and our son aren't going to be home. Her hospital has already sent out the email pretty much saying "You're all hospital employees. You'll be helping out as necessary should we need you to help." So she doesn't want it to spread.

that's good her hospital is proactive and that she wants to protect you and your son..i am applying universal precautions to everything now. every surface is assumed to be infected. everything that enters my home from outside gets disinfected (i even shower after running before laying on the floor to stretch). so far we have been together but not intimately. our home is comfortable and we can help each other out and i have been doing all the grocery shopping, plus DD has a TON of work from school online! wtf? the teachers are bored i guess? at this point i dont now anyone who would have me and DD anyway, or DW for that matter so i think we are stuck together. we have had no guidance from her employer at all, it's as if families dont exist. in fact the admin has only been defensive. last week again they had another pt who was NOT on the covid unit (poor screening?) turn positive and the nurses were prevented from getting masks so we have to dodge another bullet. we got some n95 masks for her on our own yesterday so she can be safer for now but the health care system is in for a series of shocks including lawsuits later. if DW or any of the couple dozen people who treated that patient get sick it would be an easy case of negligence preventing them from osha required PPE. so much for being prepared! the moral of this story is: no one can really help you be safe, you have to do it yourself. people you thought should be smart are showing otherwise. i tried to go to home depot yesterday to fix something with the house and they were preventing people from going in or limiting how many i am not sure. all i know is that there was a large group of people in a line outside much closer together than if they were inside. i did not go near and left doing a temporary fix instead with some flextape i have. same situation at trader joe's. being forced to stand in a big group of people to limit crowding inside the store. they lost my business by threatening my health. i went to PCC and they were letting everyone in and i was able to keep reasonable distance.

sorry for the long NRR rant but i think it's time for one and i dont do FB or twitter so there it is. i normally try to keep things running related

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

nOOky

Slowly building up the mileage, my right hammy and knee is getting better by biking more, and cutting back on the running. I should have 40 miles in by tomorrow, and 160+ for the month. Last year my Achilles kept me to 120 miles total in April and May, this year I am paying more attention to my body and trying not to push too much too soon. I'm loving the biking more actually, what with my spring races cancelled, I can bike more. I used to race both road and mountain back in the day, and the miles are getting easier, I'm up to over 40 mile rides after work now with the extra daylight.

Work has been very busy, both the wife and I are essential workers. I lost an assistant at work so I'm doing two people's work, and also having to do some of other people's work that are working from home. It's kind of irritating that I'm doing extra work while they are binge watching Netflix and walking their dogs, but hopefully come review time I can remind them of my value.

Lots of extra people out on the trails here, it's like people that normally don't get out are feeling like they need to be out all of a sudden. I don't mind people being out, I encourage it. I just hate dogs off leash on bike paths, and people that don't know how to act. A few tips for parents, don't let your child lay their bike down fully across the bike path when there are bikers coming from both directions, and yes, your dog may bite or jump in front of my wheel taking me down. Thankfully road biking is still safe from them, and running on lightly traveled gravel roads until the trails open up is an option.

Hope everyone stays safe and keeps plugging away, this will be over soon enough, hopefully by the time summer is here.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Just a dude.

I did a long run that included several bike paths, trails, and dirt roads. There are more people out than I've ever seen.

I keep trying to convince myself that all these people used to be in gyms working out, but now they can't. But still...

I never had an issue with people too close. In fact, I was surprised at how far away everyone was staying from people they didn't know. Often a group of 2 or 3 might be kinda close together as they chat away, but some of them might have been families or whatever.

I am now super self conscious about coughing at the end of a run. I did a bit of a walk at the end of mine, drank some water that didn't quite go smoothly down the correct pipe, and coughed a bit. I had a guy across the street staring at me like I was a criminal...

Crazy world right now.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

crazy world indeed. glad to hear everyone is still getting outside. there is some weird sociological stuff going on. seems more crowded but ppl are also spread out more too but everyone from strava to the bike shop is noticing it's zombie like. trying to ride on the bike path is getting challenging but as far as workouts at home i cant stand treadmills. i think they are all just too small for my feet. looked into getting a bike trainer but just ended up getting confused. maybe ill just get a basic fluid one. zwift is too spendy and to me the content seems like ancient tech. should be more like vr by now esp for that price.

this week was 25M 2k' running and 39M 2800' cycling. all pretty easy sprinkling in some short bursts but nothing full-out. today i did about ten 'easy 100's' mid run and it felt good

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Pain is my friend

Lots of easy running this week. Did a 8 mile tempo ave 6:35 with some head wind. Long run Saturday wasn’t that long but had some steep climbs. Right out the gate we climbed 2,200 ft in 1.8 miles to wire peak. 10 miles for the day. 62.3 miles and 4K vert for the week.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

I finished the week with 40 and change, around 2500' vert.  Did a 15 mile virtual race yesterday.  As a general rule, I think virtual races are silly, but things are different now.  If that's the most that RDs can do, then I'll support them.

Emailed my running club and other aid station volunteers about WS, told them to save the date for 2021.  Sending that email made me sad.  I'm going to miss it.  Good news is that we have 2 years to get a qualifier...

Brew, with WS cancelled, I think TRT will be called off too, within the next few weeks.  And that's fine by me.  If you don't crew/pace at States next year, you should volunteer, either at ALT or somewhere else.  I'm partial to ALT, of course, and the penguins, even if they somehow escaped your attention.  Seeing people coming through at all hours of night is humbling and cool.

Funky, stress is not good for immunity... vent, and then try to let it go.

nOOky, KellyDodge -- yeah, it's amateur hour outside.  The shelter in place order for SF Bay Area counties led to overcrowding at parks, trails and beaches... so now they're closed.

Krash, nice week as usual.

Just a dude.

70.1 miles this week. I did hill repeats on Wednesday and double 20's on the weekend. Roughly 7000 elevation.

I felt way better on the 2nd 20 than I imagined. It was pretty snowy at the top. when I started, there were me plus 4 cars in the parking lot. When I finished there were so many cars people were parking across the street. It was crazy...

My local club is doing a bingo card, so I've been doing a few things I normally wouldn't do, and its been kinda fun. One of my daughters is getting into it as well...

Next week will be a cutback week. I'll still try to get some quality stuff in, but not as many miles.

Stay safe and keep at it y'all...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

If people stay at home and stop doing stupid shit (big assumptions, I know), this modeling has things settling down in CA and US-wide in early July.  But people have lots of obstacles to training now, and will for a while. Do you still put on a July race on the chance things will be better under this (potential) scenario?

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections