Ultra Runners

How to get started? (Read 543 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

srlopez---The 50 k is 6 loops x 5.18 miles on a golf cart path.Smile Stopping to refuel and potty will not be a problem. If your marathon is 3:22 I need to go back to my original 10:00 pace / 5:10 finish.

9th Annual PEACHTREE CITY 50K

http://darksiderunningclub.com/2010PeachtreeCity50K.pdf

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

xor

I would stick with marathon training for that with longer long runs (focused more about time-on-feet than raw distance).  I wouldn't go nuts with different foods... though if they have the traditional ultra-type aid station (aka junkfood), then be really very cognizant of trying something new on race day.  It's hard to ignore the peanut m&ms at M18, but if they don't agree with you, you will find out the hard way soon enough.

My 3:22 doesn't really map that well to my trail running times.  I bet on a golf cart path in November, that would probably be 4:20-4:30ish.  Except that I *would* linger at the aid stations (don't!) and eat crap.

Imminent Catastrophe

... I *would* linger at the aid stations (don't!) and eat crap.

Eating crap is the best part of ultras.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Eating crap is the best part of ultras.

hhmmmm 2 x Hotdogs, extra mustard and ketchup at 3.00am with a cup of tea with 3 sugars and a hand full of salami....BLISS Joking

OK OK OK that was what my body was craving Big grin

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

jpdeaux

At my 12 Hour (5K road loop) in July I only drank the Heed they were giving out for the first 6 hours or so. After that I visited my car where I had Coke and potato chips about every other loop. I stopped at the food tables for a handful of M&Ms 3 or 4 times, but that's pretty much it. The two items I craved most were the Coke and the potato chips. It was a warm then cool night, although sweating was still a major issue.

So Coke, potato chips, and M&Ms for me. And Heed.

Ultrachick

I did the baby steps too. Ran a few marathons, then bumped up to 50k with back-to-back long runs. Then bumped up to 50m using a 50k as a trainer. Did one 50m per year for two years then bumped up to 100m. I've done one 100m race per year for the past two years and this year bumped it up to two 100m races in which I just successfully completed my second 100 miler on Sept 25-26 at Virgil Crest 100 which is in the finger Lakesarea of NY as well which I think is near where the Can 50 is.

Virgil Crest was tough (FKA Iroquois Trails 100). It's a 50m out and back course done twice and there's a 50m race at the same time. 95% of it is on the Finger Lakes hiking trail so it's all single track with an Alpine Loop which was 3.9m going up and down Greek Peak Ski Resort, plus about a mile of pavement and .75m of dirt road and the course was long at 102.8m (nothing is ever exact in trail running). All in all, it was 20,000ft of climbing. Due to the challenging course, all 100 mile finishers earned themselves a buckle. I did the first 50m too fast so my wheels fell off for the 2nd. I was ready to quit and even had a sip of beer thinking I wasn't going to go on. Due to some personal life changes during the week before I arrived with no crew or pacer. The RD found someone willing to crew and she did great and it wasn't until after I got in from the first 50 that I found out someone was there willing to pace me too.   

I kep going thinking I could quit at any of the next aid stations but my new pacer talked me out of it every time and kept me moving. This was probably the most emotionally/mentally challenging race for me. Part of my trouble too was not keeping up with my food. Chicken broth was working well for me until one station only had beef broth. I tried it but it didn't settle well. They also had some lentil soup which was on the thick and hearty side, I tried to water it down with the beef broth and that was worse-yeah, I was spitting that stuff out before I threw it up. PB & J is always the good stand by and saved me.

So here's a bit about food and what may work and what doesn't-it's all individual and that sip of beer tasted good! I was drinking Coke and water too and actually switched to water the whole second half of the race and took e-caps. PB& J, potatoes, chicken noodle soup and one aid station had pierogies-pasta and potatoe! perfect! I finsihed in 27:47, placing 4th overall and 2nd female. I was hoping to break 24hrs based on past performances but this was a new, more challenging course-I have my work cut out for me for next year.

Good luck with your training! Kelly   

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ok, so, I signed up for a 50M this fall, and I'm not achieving longer runs.

This past weekend was my longest consecutive with an almost 23mi. I had company for it, which is significant -- by myself, I get tired, bored, my feet hurt, and I don't go as long as I might have hoped.

So I'm actually discouraged about trying to get consecutive longer runs in by myself, and kind of resigned to settling for just regular long runs but trying to double them a bit (ie, go back out the next day), or else piecemeal higher daily distance (as in 8 days ago, when I raced 10mi, then pieced various runs together scattered across the day for 31mi total I think).

Two issues that seem to hit me, besides the possible lack of mental endurance, are feet getting sore, and hamstrings getting sore. I suspect pavement is not kind to me.

There is a trail loop I can use, but it is too rooty -- I get too clumsy when I get tired, and I've tripped plenty of times just doing that loop once, so I'm not willing to run it repeatedly.

There is a shorter out & back on dirt that has steep hills. I like the idea of having short, steep hills, as I can practice walking uphill (I'm not used to walking during training runs). But I'm not optimistic that I can bring myself to keep going out & back, with getting tired and quitting.

Supposing I can't bring myself to manage longer runs; would it help to try to double in one day (eg, morning & evening) instead of in two days?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

The King of Beasts

Supposing I can't bring myself to manage longer runs; would it help to try to double in one day (eg, morning & evening) instead of in two days?

Yes, is that the ideal ? maybe not, but fittness is fittness.

you might also learn something about nutrition and running when you dont want to be running on that second run

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

I had company for it, which is significant -- by myself, I get tired, bored, my feet hurt, and I don't go as long as I might have hoped.

Most of my training is done solo. ("I'm a loner, Dotty")

But I tend to use organized races as my long,long runs. Keeps me motivated and I get to see and talk to other runners.

I'm lucky that in the PNW there are a lot to choose from, with reasonable entry fees.

By reasonable I mean free, $5.00 to $25.00 or a can or two of soup for a local food bank.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

DoppleBock

I would do the trail loop at least 1 time a week - It is learned skill to run on rocks and roots and makes you feet and ankles stronger.

You long runs are about developing mental toughness, but more importantly like A1 said - Fitness.  But the really long runs also start strengthening your endocrin system.  These really long runs are not about pace.  It amazes me that if I try and run 8:00 pace on a really long run I might be done at 20-25 miles.  If I run 8:13 pace I could make 35+ miles most every time.  I am also taking 2-4 minutes every hour to either walk or dink around the car to get more fuel.

Really long runs are also the time to mess with you hydration, fuel and electrolyte plan.

Come to DB's house of pain and I will make you do 6 hours on a TM staring at a blank wall with only Metallica to sooth your mind.

Reality - I never ran more than 23 miles in training prior to my 1st 50 and it was fine.  Its all about pacing, hydration, electrolytes, fuel and mental toughness. 

Ok, so, I signed up for a 50M this fall, and I'm not achieving longer runs.

This past weekend was my longest consecutive with an almost 23mi. I had company for it, which is significant -- by myself, I get tired, bored, my feet hurt, and I don't go as long as I might have hoped.

So I'm actually discouraged about trying to get consecutive longer runs in by myself, and kind of resigned to settling for just regular long runs but trying to double them a bit (ie, go back out the next day), or else piecemeal higher daily distance (as in 8 days ago, when I raced 10mi, then pieced various runs together scattered across the day for 31mi total I think).

Two issues that seem to hit me, besides the possible lack of mental endurance, are feet getting sore, and hamstrings getting sore. I suspect pavement is not kind to me.

There is a trail loop I can use, but it is too rooty -- I get too clumsy when I get tired, and I've tripped plenty of times just doing that loop once, so I'm not willing to run it repeatedly.

There is a shorter out & back on dirt that has steep hills. I like the idea of having short, steep hills, as I can practice walking uphill (I'm not used to walking during training runs). But I'm not optimistic that I can bring myself to keep going out & back, with getting tired and quitting.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Come to DB's house of pain and I will make you do 6 hours on a TM staring at a blank wall with only Metallica to sooth your mind.

I must have finally crossed completely to the dark side.

This actually sounds like fun

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

DoppleBock

PS - Its even better after dark when the only light in the basement is the LED readout on the TM.  In winter I get the added bonus of opening a window and getting it to 55 degrees. 

I must have finally crossed completely to the dark side.

This actually sounds like fun

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

PS - Its even better after dark when the only light in the basement is the LED readout on the TM.  In winter I get the added bonus of opening a window and getting it to 55 degrees. 

I still can't imagine doing this. I have trouble getting to 3 miles on a treadmill. This winter, I have decided that I don't care what is going on outside, I am running.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

(I have not treadmill skill; tried it in a hotel once this year, and nearly fell off.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kalsarikännit

Or he'll get you drunk and feed you beer dip.  It all depends what time of year it is.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart