Ultra Runners

Anyone know Waldo? (Read 751 times)

xor

You're funny. I do know Karen. She took a fall? Ick. And I only have 500ish fb friends... such a loser.

I don't have a waldo so that's not fair.

Where did you stay gumbee?? I'm excited! Seems like a good race.

I only have 300 fb friends, and that is after I swore I'd not go above 200.

I was serious about the Christmas work pic.  Come on!

xor

**Last year (2010) I drove down on Friday, checked in, dined at the pre-race pasta feed, slept in my car (for about an hour or two), got up at 2:00AM for the 3:00AM early start, finished that SOB the race in a little under 16 hours, then drove home. Shit, just typing that makes me question my sanity.

I think we need a second ranking system in the maniacs (or at least the ultramaniacs) that gives status to Crazy Travel Situations.

That right there is worth at least 3 whatsits.

All business

Hey Gumbee,

I have been thinking about this race a lot lately.  After I ran my first 50M up at Champoeg last year, you recommended Waldo.  I thought it would be worth getting your 2 cents on my (minor) concern. 

Do you think that my experience in a real flat 50 M (plus some training with quality high milage, of course) is enough to prep me for this race?  It sounds and looks tough, so I guess my question is:  Do you think it's acceptable as a first time 100k run?

It's so close to where I live, and I've been craving some real distance lately.

Thanks,

Chris

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Do you think that my experience in a real flat 50 M (plus some training with quality high milage, of course) is enough to prep me for this race?  It sounds and looks tough, so I guess my question is:  Do you think it's acceptable as a first time 100k run?

My first 50m was (like you) Autumn Leaves a couple of years ago. After finishing, I decided to try another 50 and chose White River. WR is a trail / mountain course with two major climbs. While I was probably ok on my training mileage, I did not spend a lot of time running trails or a lot of hills prior to the race. This more than anything contributed to finishing in what was to me an unsatisfactory time.

You did well at Autumn Leaves, so I think with continued training you could complete the 100k distance no problem. The challenge is you will be going from a flat course to a mountain ultra with 4 major climbs. I would recommend getting in some serious trail time and get used to elevation changes as you run. But definitively doable

As to a first 100k? I would have to answer yes because it was my first Smile

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

xor

My first 50m was (like you) Autumn Leaves a couple of years ago. After finishing, I decided to try another 50 and chose White River. WR is a trail / mountain course with two major climbs. While I was probably ok on my training mileage, I did not spend a lot of time running trails or a lot of hills prior to the race. This more than anything contributed to finishing in what was to me an unsatisfactory time.

I did, and I still sucked ass and almost DFLed White River.

BOOOOO.

^^ The first RR I ever read was for your WR race and laughed

I then ran WR and cried

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

^^ The first RR I ever read was for your WR race and laughed

I then ran WR and cried

Same here.

~Sara
                It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

xor

Well then I should publish more race reports.

I just found and read that WR50 report.  Very entertaining.

xor

Those local to the PNW know the Minudo character better as "Jon Yoon".

Those local to the PNW know the Minudo character better as "Jon Yoon".

OK, then.  But unless he's a maniac he should remain nameless and be referred to only by clothing or actions, AKA Red Shirt Guy, Strange Accent Chick and (my favoirite) Switchback Pee-er. 

xor

OK, then.  But unless he's a maniac he should remain nameless and be referred to only by clothing or actions, AKA Red Shirt Guy, Strange Accent Chick and (my favoirite) Switchback Pee-er. 

Yes, I have lots of characters like that.  And if you aren't from these parts, please remember him as Minudo.

Good ol' JY is a super duper nice person.  With a recent history... well, pretty much since that report... of signing up for super long stuff and, well, things don't work out.

Well then I should publish more race reports.

I agree. Your report prepared me for the worst and it turned out not quite as bad so I felt pretty good. Smile

~Sara
                            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

All business

You did well at Autumn Leaves, so I think with continued training you could complete the 100k distance no problem. The challenge is you will be going from a flat course to a mountain ultra with 4 major climbs. I would recommend getting in some serious trail time and get used to elevation changes as you run. But definitively doable

As to a first 100k? I would have to answer yes because it was my first Smile

Thanks for the info, I'll have to see how my mileage works out, but I'll definitely let you know if I'm going to make it out there.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

What happens at Waldo, stays at Waldo

Is this why you are going back? Did I see your name on the entrants list?

~Sara