Womens Running

Weekend Grind (dailies) (Read 20 times)

As in Good Luck Margaret at the Meat Grinder 50k  What a race name. You should do a theme of finding races with names that don't bode well for the race. In fact.. let's have fun and try to find some for you to add to your list! (Must post link to actual race as well... hey, you never know, it could be an actual yearly theme!).

Will be heading out to Memphis with A shortly. I fly back super early to Indianapolis (via layover in Detroit) on Wed to drive back with Kaite.

Black Toenail Friday half

Forget the PR 50k/25k

And I found a race that I may have to do as a bday present to myself... Running with my Gnomies 50k/25k It's in Ohio on May 8. Baby won't be here yet. Gnomes are animals too. 

Lisa

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

5 for me.

Felt good! Nice and colllddddd. Legs are feeling good but achilles is NOT. Still bugging me from the marathon - I say "still" but its only been a week since that 26.2 run! Need to be diligent about calf raises. My massage therapist will work on it but she is out of town next week. I see her the following week. Planning a short 3-4 mile run tomorrow at my brothers.

Hair appointment at 10:30 then heading to my brothers. Should be fun. Heading back kinda early tomorrow so we can decorate for Christmas!!!! HCDH's parents also would like to come by....

Karen - Felt my PF this morning, you and Lori must have jinxed me. My calves are soooo tight though. I need one of those rollers that you and Cathy have! Thanks so much for your thoughts on the plan! We agree Smile Have fun with the babies today!

Margaret - Oh hey, just running a 50K today. LOL. Good luck and have fun!!! Smile Smile

Lisa - LOL, oh geez I hope he doest mix that that pill up Smile Have a good trip with A! Haha, I would run that Black Toenail Friday half!! Are you doing BF shopping this year? I know you usually do. I will be…online!

Docket - WOOHOO for weights!!! Do you have weight workouts at home? Do you stream them?

Happy Saturday!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Half Crazy K 2.0

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Good luck, Margaret!

Ended up running with husband today's run so I have my 6 and piano at some point.  We are heading to Menard's first to buy the vinyl planks for our house.  We ended up choosing vinyl vs laminate for the house as it is waterproof and the way of the future (60% of houses are expected to have it for floors in the near future).

Liz, I do Chalean Extreme and since I know it by memory I don't need to turn on the DVD.  I use her spreadsheet to mark what weights I used, etc.

Damaris

Anonymous Guest

14 with the kids this morning. I really like this year's group. I ended up running the entire time with someone I haven't run with in quite awhile, so it was fun to catch up. Not much else going on this weekend. Just need to get groceries at some point (should have done it yesterday!) and  probably a little cleaning. I have let the house get pretty bad so am trying to at least get a room a day actually clean. Kitchen and bathrooms are all I've done so far, and by the time I get the rest of it clean, those will probably dirty again.

Best I could come up with - August in TN: Blister in the Sun Marathon

Lisa, have a good trip. So you're flying to Indy through Detroit, to then drive to Detroit? What a good mom.

Liz, sorry about that.....that reminds me, I need to go roll.

Damaris, great job getting the weights in yesterday!

Margaret, have fun out there today!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Half Crazy K 2.0

7.6 miles with 3 at marathon pace or something like that.

AnonymousGuest, I thought Blister in the Sun was about something else....anyone remember the Violent Femmes?

Kilmisters

8.75mi today. 28*F, freezing rain, windy. Ugh. Blankets and tea for 2-3 hours after that; and it wasn't even THAT long of a run or THAT cold. Probably just a matter of getting used to this, as we haven't had proper cold/winter yet. Which is weird. I mean, it's almost December. Wtf.

Game tomorrow. So, shouldn't have ran more than 3-5mi today, but meh. Whatever.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Tabata/ kettlebells workout this morning followed by a casual 5k walk with hubby

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Half Crazy K 2.0

AnonymousGuest, training question for you (or anyone else). I am likely going to do a spring half. Typically my longest runs have been around 11 miles, but time wise, it winds up being a little longer than the race. Is there more benefit to increasing the long runs to 14 or more miles? For me, that's going to be somewhere around 2 hrs and 40 minutes unless there is some faster stuff thrown in there.

Arimathea

Tessa

They renamed Mt. Disappointment 50K, it's now the Angeles National Forest Race. http://www.anftrailrace.com/

How about DWD Gnaw Bone? http://dwdgnawbone.com/ Lisa, that one might be a bit too close to DD's due date.

Truly crazy week. I am grading finals right now. I have six renewals in December -- well, one is a January 1st, but the buyer is going out of town so he needs the renewal quotes early.

I have been running, but slowly.

Lisa, layover in your hometown and then flying on again? Not even enough time to stop and kiss the cat?

Margaret, good luck with the race, hope it's not as windy there as it is here.

Karen, all you had to say was "August" and "Tennessee". That's almost as bad as that one you were considering in Mississippi over Labor Day weekend. Hotter than Hades and humid to boot.

Damaris, good choice of flooring. Anything other than carpet, especially with cats!

Elina, Kupkakes, Lori, good workouts! Liz, have fun tomorrow.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Tessa, oh yeah.  My walking closet (aka, the INKnBURN closet) has carpet and we are paying the difference to have them change it. They are doing it no issues and no extra cost (ServPro).  They have really been great to us.  I am thinking of doing that Gnaw Bone since it's close to me.

Karen, nice 14!

HCK, nice job.

Elina, we had the same weather today but mine was at night.

Lori, excellent workouts.

PS, this year I bought a turkey breast twice the size of the one we have purchased every year for a decade.  I'm going to have to do some turkey pot pie recipes and shit.

Damaris

Thanks everyone!  For a race named Meat Grinder, it was a pretty darn nice and enjoyable day.  Totally false advertising.  

Mini RR: this was an inexpensive, fun, small (around 30 50k runners), low key event.  No bells and whistles, no electronic timing, no fancy finish arch, no medals (thank goodness), a butt-ugly tee shirt, which I will gladly donate, and best of all, they gave out reusable cups, which I am love.  Finished in 7:13:46.  Probably placed in my age group since there were only 3 fifty-something ladies in the race last time I checked.    But no AG awards so no biggie.  A beautiful, crisp, sunny day, 41* at the start, high temps in the low 60s.  The course was rolling hills but no crazy climbs.   "Meat grinder" refers to a 2-mile stretch of of the trail with lots of rocks and other fun footwork.  And since it was an out-and-back race, we got to do it twice.  But really, I've seen far worse (hello, Beaverhead! and Loco!).  Elevation gain was billed as 3,300' but my watch reported 4,800'.  So I guess it was somewhere in that range.  

The ankle that bugged me at Woodstock was sore and unhappy for a while but then it stopped bothering me around an hour into the race (?).  But I can feel it now so I'll rest it for a couple days.  Also stiff and tired from the 3.5 hour drive home, but I'm still buzzing from all the Coke I drank.  

Here are a couple pics of Lake Folsom.  The race went on a trail that mostly hugged the lake.  Very nice spot for a run.

I'll catch up with everyone tomorrow.  And try to come up with some appropriately gnarly race names.  

HCK, yes!  Blister in the Sun makes me think of the Violent Femmes.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Anonymous Guest

HCK, I think there is some advantage to running farther than the race distance (until you get to the marathon and longer, when the chance for injury goes up plus the recovery needed is too much and will impact the next week's training). In simple terms, you are trying to go as fast as you can for as long as you can, so to do that you need to work on running faster (so speedwork, tempo) and running farther. Pushing the distance out past race distance should help to hold a faster pace longer for the race. If I'm training for a half (although I haven't done that in probably three years), I'll try to hit 16 in my long runs, but I think even a couple 14 or 15 milers would help.

Tessa, you mean Tupelo? The marathon I ran last year for Mississippi and won the masters division with a 4:24? That wasn't so bad. Your comment did remind me of the bike race in TX called Hotter than Hell though. You sound super busy, I'm glad you're still getting some running in.

Elina, nice running in that weather!

Lori, I am impressed you are sticking with the workouts. I know it's not running, but it's still good for you and will help once you can run again.

Damaris, my favorite will always be the turkey sandwich, but one year I made a pretty easy soup with leftover turkey and mixed frozen vegetables....I think it was called turkey pot pie soup.

Gatsby, that sounds like a really nice race. Great job out there. I've heard that ankles are especially tough to heal completely, but the best way to get them to heal is exercise.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Margaret, great job on the race.  Congrats!

Karen, oh, yeah. The turkey pot pie soups are yummy. I'll do that instead since it is low carb. And creamy. Smile

Damaris

LC Runs

Hey Ladies!

4 yesterday and 4 today, that seems to be my 'go to' mileage these days   It's actually sunny and dry here so it was a nice run.  My DD was in town for overnight because she was asked to speak at her church today so I went to that.  I'm not a church goer but will go for her and she did a great job.

Quiet, lazy weekend. I even took a nap yesterday!

Lisa - safe travels!

Lizzie - nice 5.  Have fun decorating for X mas!  I just got out my Thanksgiving stuff LOL.  Apparently, we're hosting BF's family for dinner (we came up with this plan yesterday since no one would commit) so I figured the house should look somewhat fallish ha ha!

Damaris - sounds like the house is coming along nicely!  I have not heard of that workout, will have to check it out!

Karen - nice 14 yesterday!

Half K - nice run!

Tessa - hang in there for work, hopefully it will slow down soon.  December always seems to be so busy and of course, there is less time due to the holidays.

Margaret - nice race report - Great Job!!