Womens Running

Mellow Monday (dailies) (Read 25 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon!  I took today off and have Pilates tonight and that's it.  Thanks, Karen, for giving me today and tomorrow off, lol.  Not really sore, except like after a LR, so definitely much better than after Chicago, which I could barely walk due to the calf cramps.  I ran the first half with hubby and then split at the half.  He took a bit too many extra walk breaks so I felt like I was a bit behind after we went our separate ways so I started accelerating.  At one point I saw 9mm but that must have been wrong because the pace felt very easy.  I continued run/walking at the same ratio that we started and never took an extra break. I had to fix my sock twice but cut some of the walk break time to make up for it.  It was a great race, but super windy.  We had to stop just before the finish for a 40 mph gust and everybody had to shelter in place. I wonder if there are pics of that or video because that must have been funny to see.

Here is the pic Lori took of me. I almost missed her because I told hubby we must go to the right and then we took a turn and there she was on the left, but I made it.  Hubby apparently wanted to rush it so he went on and I had to sprint to catch it, lol.

Shoutouts on the next post!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Elina, congrats to you and hubby.  Great job!

Lizzie, awesome job on the race, but ugh, at the short course. Ugh, I hate places where they cancel vacations, and stuff. Not conducive to a life.

Tessa, yay.  You were the second person I have met from this group, after Marj. Smile

camille, hiya!  I'm jealous of that temp.

Laura, enjoy the run tonight.

Judy, hoping you enjoy the trail today.

Diane, that looks like a warm day for a race, gah.  You'll do great, you'll see!

Susan, nice swim.  Hoping the run goes well.

Sandy, WTF.  Who calls for work at 2am?

Cathy, I would love those temps as well.

Tessa, sounds like a troublesome Monday so far.

Karen, nice 6 and congrats on some quiet time.

Damaris

dhuffman63

Trails

Damaris are you still not taking asthma meds?  I've been taking benedryl and/or zyrtec lately for my allergies.  Here's a study that makes me wonder what affect that may have contributed to all my slowness and inability to run without a high heart rate.

https://around.uoregon.edu/content/should-exercisers-lay-antihistamines

LC Runs

Lizzie - I just had to jump in to say "WHAT THE WHAT?" with HCBF's bosses????  I can not imagine any company stating they'll pay you back for not taking your planned vacation.  He needs to get out of there, that is just craziness!!!

Kilmisters

Sandy, ha, setting the minimum distance to yourself is actually very good in case of a crappy first part of the run - while you get at the set mileage it's almost always better and then, of course, you go on Smile I'm sure not only gramma would complain about getting up at those hours! Altho for me it would be nothing new - after years of waking up for NHL games. Does the privision sharing w sister contain mainly beer reserves? Big grin

Lizzie, I hope you get to take the entire week off! As for the race, I probably wouldn't count it but still take it as a huuuuge sign/proof of a progress you''ve made; so be superproud of that, but I am sure you are Smile That's an awful situation w HCBF and his work. Who gives a crap about reimbursements, vacations are all about resting and coming back w a fresh mindset. Ugh. He still hasn't thought about looking for some other options?

Tessa, no neighbours were woken up. As we got to our seats on the plane back to Riga, DH was loudly thinking about what wine to buy at the local store, to which I answered ''uhm, you do know we're going land in Riga at 10:10pm'' ''but...'' ''time zones'' ''s---''. Few text messages later everything was arranged. Wine was there on our porch when we got home.

Damaris, that is a superpositive pic, I bet it describes your whole race Smile

Went out for a recovery run and... 4.5m absolutely effortless medium-pace miles. WHAT. Legs were (very) slightly sore, but generally felt way stronger than usual; I could had comfortably run at least twice the miles if I wanted to. And that's after yesterday's ''everything hurts and I'm dying'' HM... Uhm ok. Probably a combination of 1) running w mini-K being some sort of sophisticated form of resistance training, for which there is no hope/need to seek any logic 2) after 75*F in Amsterdam today's weather ... Well... it was the first time I got out of the house in OCTOBER at 55*F and said ''wow, it's cold!''

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Arimathea

Tessa

Damaris, good job! Nice work.

Elina, glad to know no neighbours were awakened and that wine was waiting on the doorstep. I would probably be a lot more amenable to leaving some on the doorstep rather than being woken by a thirsty neighbor even if he had just raced a full!

10 PM sales stop? Is that just on Sundays or every day? California's no-sale-of-alcohol hours are 2-6 AM every day.

Liz and Karen, I looked at the course map and I could see two very possible points where the course was short: if the runners did not turn out to the point just before Mile 2 but instead went straight north on Memorial, and at the mile 22-23 where there's an out and back. If someone turned before the little bridge over the creek, for instance, that would cut a bit of mileage off.

Yes Karen, I am heading to the gym now!

Kilmisters

10 PM sales stop? Is that just on Sundays or every day? California's no-sale-of-alcohol hours are 2-6 AM every day.

Every day. You can get alcohol 8am-10pm

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Tessa, my RB looked at the certified course map for Lizzie's race at: https://www.usatf.org/events/courses/maps/showMap.asp?courseID=WI17033DM

She compared it to my friend's Garmin map and the turnaround on the out/back on the trail was off, instead of being at 56th street it was at about 49th street, which is about what the online map showed.  So far the marathon hasn't fessed up.  

I used MapMyRun to map out the course following the online course map so I would have it available for spectating, when I was done it was about 25.7 miles but I figured I made a mistake.  

Arimathea

Tessa

Cathy, that makes sense. Hmm. I am wondering if everyone turned around early or if only some of the runners did. I looked at the results and it's difficult to tell, it's going to take some number crunching to see if a lot of people had surprising negative splits on the course.

And it also seems that either there was a problem with the timing mats or most people missed at least some of them. Out of the first 75 runners, only 9 -- that is not a typo, NINE -- people had times recorded at the 10 mile mark.

Most races have mats at the end of the out and backs, it looks like this one didn't?

Not sure if the race has admitted there might be a problem. Anyone looked at the FB group for the race? Maybe nobody wants to bring it up?

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Tessa, I think everyone was short because everyone followed the course.  I believe there was someone on the course at the turnaround. There are lots of complaints on FB, most saying the course was at least .5-.8 mile short.  They didn't have timing mats on the course, they had the "open-air" type, which seem to be less reliable, I think you have to be close to them.  I had the same issue at my half in Madison, I didn't register 2 of the splits and they were using the same type of timers.

I can see a problem if the course didn't match the USATF certification, I am assuming that unless they submitted a change to the certified course that the race would not be a Boston Qualifier.

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Oh, and that was the same area on the course with an issue last year, where someone kicked the cones off the course and people didn't know where to turn around and most runners went long!

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Waves to all, besides the racers, that is all the energy I have.

Damaris, congrats again.

Elina, wow, you kicked some booty!

Lizzie, that sucks about the course and sucks double about HCBF's boss asking him to cancel.  Unbelievable.

Horrid day.  Filled in at the other clinic.  Only saving grace is that I was to be saving for the Polar Bears, until I got home and got a hideous tax bill that now will eat into all the extra days I'm doing.  I'm sure I could have figured something out before now, but still......  it was just the icing on the cake for a crap day.

Have a great evening all.

Kathryn

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

camille2

I think I just rated that marathon as a 5 star...totally accidentally. 😀  I read the comments here, went to FB page to read runner reactions and must have hit the rating on my small phone screen. Lizzie ran it and Cathy and miniC were there...had to be great!

camille2

Kat, I'm so sorry about the bad day and even worried about the tax bill. Bummer!

HuronHeart

Swimming tonight.  I am working on learning a new swim stroke, a nice change from just swimming laps.  My legs feel great today!  I think the calf sleeves did make a difference.

Kilmisters and Lizzie, enjoy your week off. It's so nice to have a break from work. I am ready for a break! My next trip will be Cancun for DD wedding.

Lizzie, so disappointing about the race being short.

Dhuffman, the Saturday temps for Pumpkin Holler sound pretty warm for fall.  Curious to hear what happens with the work drama situation.

Seloc, I'm not sure i could focus my brain for a 2 am work call. Enjoy your rest day, take a nap.

Karen, what a nice weather change for you and your running group,  it's hard not to laugh at your efforts to get DH out of the house.  That will probably be my DH when I retire. He's not keen about me hanging around home all day..

Happy runs all,

HuronHeart