Womens Running

Thrilling Thursday (Dailies) (Read 20 times)

No thrills here really but that alligator in the subdivision sure is one. Not in a good way though!!

Lisa

Went to restorative yoga last night... taking this week off of any workout type of thing. Saturday will get out on trails with Trail Sisters for whatever that ends up being.

Margaret-you could be onto something with the cortisol level thing. Rocky is on my list of races to do also. Looks just like my kind of trail. Thanks for "holding my hand" during the blister ordeal. LOL

Damaris-my suggestion based on nothing more than what works for me (LOL) would be to ditch training plans for a bit and just go by feel and what fits into the schedule for the day. Does Pilates sound good and fit in to schedule? Then do it. Does a long run fit and sound good? Then do it. Also leave the pace part off of your watch or covered on TM. Go by how much time you have available and adjust speed to what feels good. You have more than enough base and more than enough knowledge to trust what your body is telling you but have likely gotten out of the habit of listening to it or allowing it to voice an opinion. Be an "opportunity runner" for a bit... run (or walk) what the opportunity allows and presents. My 3 cents.  I don't know pace ever until I am done. For morning runs I kind of gauge my route within the first few minutes by how I'm feeling and know how much time I have available. Of course I'm not fast but I do enjoy running. Hugs and hope you find your mojo again too! I have given up on good sleep. I just go with whatever the night brings and tell myself that rest, even if not asleep, is still rest.

Liz-5k's suck. They are the hardest race out there. And yes... this is coming from the woman who just moved for 24 hours and covered 74 miles. I hate 5ks. There is no reason (in a distance runner's mind anyway) to take any part of them easy. Thus they suck. But that's just my opinion. I would need to do a 10k warmup to have a "good" 5k. On Saturday, the actual worst I felt was at 4 hour mark (4 hours always sort of are a wall for me). At 11 hours I felt about the best actually. And then at 16 hours when I was telling everyone "yeah, we only have 8 hours left to go" and was excited by it. Yes. I am weird. You aren't weird so would probably like 5k's. 

HCK2-sounds like you fueled well at lunch for a powered run. LOL

Laura-crisp is right.. aka springtime in Michigan! Problem with espresso is the quantity so it will be a weekend treat since it uses so much per cup and makes such a small amount. (sounding like a dumb American there. LOL). My little "pot" has a 4 at the top level. Made DD a "cup" of espresso that was equivalent to 4 espressos... she was wired for the day apparently. Ha!

Karen-are they raising it because of all the improvements done? It's not that old and you just bought it, seems like the raising would have been done then. I'm sorry but you do sound a bit like a retiree there when you say the rest of May is full of doctors. You know that if you were working fulltime you would manage to fit those appointments in along with working out too. LOL Giving you a hard time there because it is funny.

Sue-wowza on that gator!! And yeah for AC again. You need it down there for sure!

Diane-LOL on wearing the skirts only during races because I completely understand. I have a couple of the kind that have built in shorts underneath and the idea of wearing them to run in neighborhood seems funny. People around here would wonder. WTH is she running in a skirt? LOL And good strategy on what events you are doing this year along with mindset. No one really gives a rat's a$$ what anyone else's time is anyway so no need to compare. Best revenge (if it helps to think of it that way) against competition is to smile, wear cute skirts, funny shirts/hats, and celebrate slow times. And to roast marshmallows... I strongly encourage marshmallow roasting during a trail race. Nothing like weighing out how slowly you roast that thing so that it is the perfect melting consistency inside vs just letting it flame up so that you get back out on the trail to put things into perspective. I did a little of both honestly. Slow roasted for a bit then said screw it and torched it. LOL

Sandy-spring time in MN... snow. LOL At least the deer flies aren't out yet, eh? I totally get the don-cha-no...you betcha! Holy wah! Internet down is devastating. I remember when Fargo came out and people in the UP couldn't understand why there was jokes being made about the way they talked in it.

Lori-yeah for getting out for a walk yesterday.

Kat-I'll have to check out sparkle skirts. I do like to wear skirts as long as the compression type of shorts underneath are long enough so no chub rub. I like them since I sweat so darn much. They help keep me from looking like I've peed myself. LOL That is stressful at work for people who actually care about what they are doing and want to do it well right. I'm surprised legal isn't winning out over this since the risk seems quite high. Darn flighty mom for those birds. Then again, she could have eaten something poisonous or been munched on herself. So won't judge bird mom this close to Mom's Day.

Carol-good use of the weekend half for a long run with extra miles built in. I would recommend doing the extra before the race. It's pretty darn tough to go through a finisher's chute, have a medal placed around your neck and then go out for more miles. BTDDT (been there didn't do that)

Lisa

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Rest day for me!

I easily slept until 7 this morning. It was nice. I am home today, so I am going to try to get my 10,000 steps in.

Gearing up for a busy weekend. Graduation cookout, Mothers Day cookout, funeral on Monday. We are staying Sunday night in MD..just easier that way and its supposed to rain. 95 + rush hour traffic + rain = no fun.

On a positive note...today marks 90 days without a cigarette! Someone once told me I can't call myself a "non smoker" until I hit 90 days. Smile

Sandy – Okay. I have to say..snow at this point is a little ridiculous. I would love the 30’s like Laura said, but snow..not so much. I do like heat, but I would rather travel for it. LOL. To the beach or something. UGH. I am sorry. I love your MN accent!! HCF’s sister has a northern accent. When I travel I usually go out for dinner..or hope that there is a restaurant at the hotel. My company gives me per Diem..so I try to stay WELL BELOW 😊 I had a chicken sub on Tuesday. But then I was starving before I went to bed. I can't just eat a small sub or popcorn before bed Smile As far as my regular running, well, I should probably be taking it a little slower. Its hard when I have so much on my mind lately! Trying to at least not do any long runs for a while.

Diane – Understand about the anxiety. I hope you are feeling better now after a little break from social media! I am so glad social media wasn’t around when I was going through high school. Can you even imagine? I didn’t even know you could do a decline on the treadmill. LOL. Personal trainer?! How is that going? HCF signed up for one! He loves it.

Cathy – YAY for 5K sign up! Weather sounds great! I wouldn’t mind racing a 5K just to see how fast I could go. I will have to keep my eyes open for one. You and Sandy reminded me I have some trainings to do. Uhm, none of which are 5 hours! WTH!

Docket – Ugh. Sorry about the sleeping. YAY for the weight loss! Why doesn’t it surprise me that you have 200 skirts? 😊

Karen – Nice run yesterday! I hope everything goes well with all of those doctor apts! That is crazy about the appraised value of your house.

Kathryn  - You are 100% in the right about the work situation. I would be really angry if there wasn’t a doc at a 24/7 clinic!

Carol – Woohoo on the race sign up! No running skirts over here. I love my Nike shorts! I am loving the new job!

Susan – OMG on the gator! So what are you supposed to do if you come across one while running???

Margaret – I want your definition of Summer weather!!

Laura – YESSSSSSSS!! I would love that weather!

Run4kupcakes – Wow, nice run yesterday! Cookies are good fuel.

Lisa – Good for you for resting this week! You deserve/need it! I am weird in different ways. LOL 😊 I guess I have never done a 5K because you have to run them hard..and that sounds like too much work. 😊 But I should at least try! Enjoy your rest week!

Happy Thursday!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Half Crazy K 2.0

Docket, I'll echo what GatsbyBird said about cortisol.  I can't say for sure,  but I'm fairly certain I've dealt with that.

Run fail. I didn't sleep well and my running buddy texted while I was driving over that she wasn't feeling well.  I was a little too chicken to run alone in the dark in my neighborhood since it is apparently mating season for alligators!!

Lizzie--Congratulations you non-smoker!!!  That is BIG!!

Oh good grief!! The A/C is fixed, but the salt cell for the pool died. Hopefully the pool folks can come out tomorrow and replace it. AND...I broke the bed!! The stupid sleep number bed--my side is completely flat and will not inflate. His side is completely full and will not deflate. UGH I hate that stupid thing!!!It is 10+ years old and the controller stuff is not working well.  I was ready to choke him last night.  He face timed me to walk me through set up and it would not work. Sad

This afternoon I'm picking up Skye, Gracie (dd's weim) and Ann Marie for the weekend.  Wish me luck.

Bikerchick1

Lisa - I love your healthy attitude towards running, pace, and not giving a “rat’s ass” about placement.  I just listened to a Podcast about keeping running “fun”...you exempllfy that!   I hear ya on doing the miles before....I “meant” to run a few more at GC afterwards.... oops, didn’t happen 

Damarias - Cortisol/stress would be one of my theories as well with the weight loss/or gain during lots of running.  Between your work and all the miles that is a lot of stress.   I will tend to gain some “fluffiness” around my middle when really upping miles, after LR’s I will gain a few lbs that hangs around for awhile, and I do watch my diet carefully. So I know it isn’t because I “ate all the things”.

Lizzie - If I were young and had your legs, I would be wearing those Nike shorts, too Smile. Congratulations on 90 days...I really can’t picture you smoking, tho.

Crazysue - talk about stress....you have had your share, too!  I am not sure I would ever run outside again after seeing that picture!!!

thanks for all the skirt ideas, I am stressing a bit about Grandma’s being warm, and how to dress...I know it could just as well be snowing.

SRD for me.

Craol

Seloc

Cathy – I’m excited to see how well you do in the 5K on Saturday.  Glad the weather looks decent.  5 hour training?  No thanks.  My longest was about 4 – Python.  Finished it up yesterday!!  Was feeling very accomplished.  How is soccer going for DD?

Damaris – very interesting about the cortisol.  And, makes complete sense with all your other symptoms!  I hope you can continue to rest – I know how hard that can be.

Karen – nice job getting all the doctor visits taken care of.  LOL like Lisa said, you DO sound like a retired lady with your May highlights being doctor visits!  Also laughing at “bless your heart” – maybe I should start using that one.

Kat – awwww poor birdies.  Survival of the fittest as they say.  SO many birds at my house.  And, yesterday, with all the rain, mom and pop duck where in the puddle in the yard.  Not sure if they have mated and were looking for a place to lay eggs or still courting.  Sorry for the work situation.  Sounds pretty awful.  My vet is awesome.  Huge local practice and the owners (husband/wife) live next door.  Years ago when Leo had a urinary blockage, I called him away from a graduation party and he was so kind and helpful.

Carol – not a skirt wearer here.  My man legs do not look good in skirts.  You crack me up – “cover/compress my fluff” haha.  Me, too!!   I want to be your RB!!  Jealous of your spring day!  We have reverted to winter.  Winter Storm up in Duluth where you will be in a month.  Wondering if these old bones will ever warm up.  As for stressing about weather at Grandma’s – as you know, it could be 30* or it could be 70*.  Yep, I’m super helpful.  Good luck at the half on Saturday!

Sue – EEGADS I would NOT want to run in your neighborhood either!  That is one big gator!

Gastby – lunch time for you when I’m about ready for happy hour!  LOL  Only in San Fran does summer mean foggy and chilly.  I always remember the Mark Twain quote “The coldest winter I ever saw was a summer in San Francisco.”

Laura – nice miles yesterday.  Crisp is RIGHT!  Lizzie would have loved it here this morning.  34* windy and rainy.  At least the snow stayed north of me.  Like I mentioned to Carol, I’m wondering if these old bones will ever warm up.

Lisa – am I the only olderish lady around here that can sleep?  Been snoozing like a baby all week.  Over 9 hours again last night.  It’s so damn cold I crawl into bed early and stay there LOL.  Nope, no deer flies out for sure.  I honestly do not see too many of them in the cities – mostly up north and not until July/Aug.  Ah, so the UP folks sound like Minnesotans??  Too funny.

Lizzie – yep, you would have loved the weather this morning.  34* wind and rain.  I said NOPE and stayed in bed.  Cold enough walking to work.  Funny – I’m like you – would TOTALLY stay under per diem to pocket the moolah.  Well, except, I’d probably hit up the free HH at the hotel (Embassy Suites) and not eat a proper dinner.  I can by on that as liquid takes up more space than food.

Nope, no run.  34* wind and rain.  Can’t do it.  In my younger years, sure, but gramma is now too cold.  Ready for the weekend!  But, no plans.  Hunkering down.  Don’t think the weather will be conducive to patio sitting but hopefully there will not be any work.  That’s all I’ve got!

Seloc

Carol - 9 inches of snow currently in Duluth.  But, hey, it's got a month to melt 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have Pilates and a massage.  No idea how to solve the cortisol issue. It's been like this since 2008 when I started running a lot.

Lisa, if I do that, I would run 100 miles a week, lol.  Running is my escape from stress, so I will always find the time to run a lot and the more work I have the more I would run.  I don't like running for 15-30 minutes as I feel it does nothing for my state of mind; I like running for 2-3 hours to clear my mind.  So I think I would overdo it more. I don't think my issue is with running, really.  I think it's mental.  The shutdown and its aftermath put a lot of pressure on me (worrying about financing while working 7 times as much as I normally do, etc.) and I took it out on running.  I bet if I really had time to relax that week I took off I would've finished the race, but instead, I was working and running errands.  Maybe that's why I feel I need a change of location for work because work this year has not been what I love.  If you see an alligator near you, I would be worried.  Did you ever see one at that ultra you ran in FL one time?

I didn't mean to write a novel, ha.

Liz, enjoy the rest!

Susan, sorry about the lack of sleep and the AC.  We just bought a new AC and ouch.

Carol, enjoy the rest!  Yes, I'm the same and I hate when people say calories in vs calories out.  That's not the problem!

Sandy, yeah, rain in that would suck.

Damaris

dhuffman63

Trails

Lizzie he's kind of laid back but I just need him to help me make sure I'm using the proper form.  I'm thinking of signing up for an online coach through Nerd Fitness who will help me with nutrition and the strength training aspect.

Lisa my goals for Possum are fairly laid back....to have fun, to not die, to not quit (unless number 2 is imminent).  I've never stopped and taken pics cause I've been so slow that I couldn't do that and make my self imposed time limit.  I don't even plan on turning the GPS function on for my watch.  I have 23 hours to do 56k.

Kat, feel free to go on if I'm holding you back.  There probably will be a lot of "meandering" on my part.

This "do what feels like fun" thing is awesome.  I rode the recumbent bike last night before the trainer instead of feeling I had to get miles in.  It was fun playing with the hill function on the bike.

Bikerchick1

Sandy - 9 inches of snow!!!  That is insane...but I would take that over 80 degrees for Grandma’s Smile  

Carol

Anonymous Guest

Ugh. Walked outside with the dogs this morning and it was like walking into a wall. So humid. And hot. I think the overnight low was in the mid-70s. I am procrastinating. I kind of want to take a rest day, but bad storms are coming in this afternoon and going through Saturday, so I know I will regret not getting outside while I can. Also the last day or two my anxiety has been up quite a bit and I don't know why. I just want to go hibernate for awhile.

Anyway, good morning, my wonderful friends! I hope you are all having great days!!

For those that say they'd have to run miles before a 5K, I say of course you do! People new to running will give you the two-headed look when you come back from your warm up and laugh that you ran a warm up longer than the race, but that's what it takes. I say embrace it - you don't want to get all hot and sweaty and gross for only 3 miles - make it a 7-8 mile day.

Oh the house, they just seem to raise them every few years because they can. I've talked to a lot of people that say protest every year. They didn't raise them when we put in the pool or outdoor kitchen or any minor things. But this last year was our turn, I guess. I gave examples of other houses with the exact same floor plan in the neighborhood, one on a larger lot and two with no house behind them, that were appraised lower. And a house down that street that sold for $10k under their appraisal and for what they want to raise ours to - it is about 500 sf bigger than ours. So I did the $/sf calculation for them too to show that ours could be lowered from last year, and definitely not raised.

Susan, at the spring Brazos Bend (when alligators are active) they tell you in the pre-race briefing "behind the tail never fails." Never thought that would be information needed just going through a neighborhood.... I hate when things don't work like they should. I hope all your repairs are inexpensive and quick.

Lisa, good on ya for taking it easy this week. Even with stopping to toast marshmallows and such, being up and out there for 24 miles and running so many miles definitely takes its toll.

Lizzie, congratulations on 90 days!! That is awesome. You do have a busy weekend with lots of time around lots of people. Take advantage of working from home, alone, with just Ruger for company today.

Carol, have fun at the half this weekend. Agree with Lisa, it's hard to go back out after the race for more miles. I have actually done a race and then run a few more miles later in the day a couple times. Not as good as doing it all at once, but better than nothing.

Sandy, 34, wind and rain? Um, that's a big ol nope for me. I will join you in the "old ladies that can get a lot of sleep" group. Until the dogs get me up that is. And today I went back to bed for another 45 minutes after taking them out and feeding them. I usually get 7-8 hours, would be more without doggos.

Damaris, the cortisol issue several mentioned sounds like it might be the case for you. I got nothing on how to deal with it though. Enjoy Pilates and not running tonight!

Diane, it is great to "see" you enjoying workouts and life. Glad you're back.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Karen, I can't even breathe at easy pace until Mile 4 so 3 miles before a 5K is a must for me; otherwise, I get an asthma attack.  Even one mile helps.  But I remember when I was a newer racer and that would've been unheard of for me.

Damaris

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

A little over 4 easy miles this morning.  I just meandered around the neighborhood, trying to avoid the puddles.    I got my "pretty shoes" dirty during Glass City, so I guess I didn't mind getting them a little dirtier!     I have a meeting tonight for youth volleyball, younger DD wants to start playing in that league.

Lisa, I love your attitude about running!

Lizzie, congrats on 90 days!  That is incredible.  Sounds like a really busy weekend ahead for you!  You might enjoy racing a 5K, it will seem super short.    It might take you a couple races to get in the groove of running fast again!  To me a 5K is just a big mental push, to force yourself to run at the point when you are uncomfortable.  But you are used to that!     I just had another 4 hours of training assigned to me!  At least the 5 hour one is broken into parts, so you can do one part and stop.  There is a test at the end of each section, but it doesn't matter if you get the wrong answer, it will let you try again and then explain the answer.  Not like some of our training, where there is a separate test and you must get the right answers and pass for it to consider you "done" with the training.  They don't tell you the right answers either, I guess so you can't help someone cheat.  But then what is the point, since you don't know what you got wrong?

Sue, that is a bit scary about the alligator!  Good luck this weekend!  

Carol, it is way too early to worry about weather at Gramma's.    I have a few running skirts, InB, Skirt Sports, and RYP.  I am usually a shorts gal though, I don't like to call attention to myself.  

Sandy, as I was mentioning to Lizzie, I just got a bunch more training assigned!  One is a series on a new product that our company is releasing.  The other looks to be compliance training from HR.  I guess that is the important one to get done.    DD has a couple soccer games left in the season.  She is playing with girls her age and a year older, last year she was the oldest and some kids were a couple years younger.  So it's a big change!  It took her awhile to get her confidence back.  She had 2 games last week, one was a make-up game for one that was cancelled due to snow.  I missed that one because I had to volunteer at the Puma Pallooza fair at her school.  She scored 3 goals and apparently had the game of her life.    She just plays park rec soccer, she doesn't want to get too serious at any sport.  DH wants her to concentrate on one sport and compete at a higher level.  I just want her to have fun!  She doesn't do well with stress.  She is also finishing up her intramural floor hockey this week.  In a couple weeks she will start training with me for her 10K.    Is the warmer weather coming your way?  It was almost 50 when I ran this morning!

Damaris, I hope you figure out what is going on with your running.  Damaris and no running just does not seem right.    Work stress sucks and the mental aspect definitely plays a big part in running.

Diane, wow, Possum is coming up fast!  I am glad that you are enjoying your training!  That's what it's all about.

Karen, sorry about the anxiety.  And the awful humidity and heat.  I hope your run goes well!  The 5K starts about 3 miles from my house.  Nice warm-up?  The only issue is that there is a HUGE hill, actually a double hill, on the way.     The city appraises our house every couple of years and raises it's value.  I assume they do that to everyone to raise taxes. It will be interesting to see what happens with your protest!

Laura, yep, Lizzie would love our weather. 

Margaret, I'm not used to you posting during the day!    Lately I have not gotten comfortable during running until after a few miles.  Sometimes I get on the TM and at least walk before leaving for a local 5K, with a little running.  Especially for the 5K's during the winter, when it's about 10 degrees outside.  It's hard to just start running!

Kat, sorry about the suckiness at work.  I feel really bad for you.  Aww, the poor baby birds!

Cathy

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Lisa, my coworkers think I'm a weirdo just for doing 6 miles!  Yoga sounds like a good thing to do things week.  Going to go get a vacuum today.  Yeah, who knows what happened to the babies.  Mom actually sat on the nest for 1-2 days after I didn't seem them anymore.  She deserves a mothers day card for dedication...  She actually seemed upset.  If a bird can look upset.

Lizzie, HUGE congrats on 90 days.  That is a big thing, both of you should be proud.  I "ran" a few 5Ks easy when I first started running, and actually raced one - have to say, it was kinda fun to haul ass.  For me, slowpoke, I ran it in 27:28!  (I just looked it up!)

Hi HCK!

Sue, absolute flippin' YIKES!!!!!!  I would have pooped my pants.  Nice on the a/c, bummer on the bed.

Carol, I definitely like to run extra miles before a race, not after, and have done so on a few occasions.

Sandy, snow?  I don't blame you for not running.  And bummer on no porch time.  My fav.

Damaris, I assume you have had your thyroid checked???

Diane, the plan is to do it together! I hate bikes, of all kinds.

Karen, what a pain about the house, good luck getting it resolved.  Yeah, I know what you mean about the humidity.  I really just need to turn my a/c on, it is stuffy in the house even with the windows open.  We have a similar forecast, but I am not feeling it this morning...

Cathy, bummer about pretty shoes.  But once they get dirty, meh, more dirt isn't a big deal.

Last night was a bit better.  No meltdowns on my part.   BUT, I wasn't into the other doctor's laziness.  I did my cases and left at 10pm.  Even though two triage cases came in within 5 minutes of each other right at 10...  Guess what I did?  Yep, walked right out the door.  The receptionist was outside smoking when I left and commented how the other dr wouldn't have helped me, so why should I help him.  True dat!

Today is a shopping day - new vacuum and MAYBE a new running watch.  The ONLY reason I want it is the extended battery life.  36 hours, with GPS on.  But D.A.M.N. it is ungodly expensive...  Mine lasts for 18.  Being the slowpoke, I will need it for Javelina.  Yes, still planning on it.  29 hour cutoff.

Okie Dokie ladies, happy hump day!

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024