Running Game - Running Below Zero Degrees Fahrenheit (Read 1466 times)

A few years back I use to run with a group of guys that played a game throughout the winter - they would use the temperature outside as a starting point and could earn points based off of the mileage they ran. I cannot remember the rules perfectly and I was curious if anyone has ever heard of a game similar to this one. Here is an example that I can remember them talking about... If the temperature was 5 degrees Fahrenheit outside the only way you could earn points was to run more than 5 miles at that temperature... So if you ran 8 miles at 5 degrees Fahrenheit you would earn 3 points. If the temp was -10 degrees Fahrenheit and you ran 8 miles you would earn 18 points. And so on... I don't think they took into consideration if the temperature increased or decreased throughout the run, that would make the game a little harder to follow... it was more based off the starting temperature outside. I think there were some more rules with the game but for the life of me I cannot remember. Has anyone used a similar point system throughout the bitter cold of winter? Also, if we can get the rules straightened out, I would like to see if anyone would like to play throughout the miserable winter?
      I'm in. I'll assume windchill doesn't count.
        No, I do remember that windchill does not count. Do you think we should start a user group for this or just stick with this thread?
          I didn't know it was a game...last winter when this was brought up (here) It was just a kind of club you became a member of.
            Sounds good... so there are other nut jobs that would be willing to post this out! Big grin
              Sounds a lot like the "More Miles Than Degrees Club" we used to have over at Cool Running. All you had to do to join was run more miles than the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit. Wind chill did not count and runs in the negative digits just added to the wow factor. Tom
                Fair enough, so do we not want to count negative digits? Anything below -10 is just nuts in my book! I guess I will post my first "More Miles than Degrees" Last Friday I ran 5 miles when it was all of 1 degree outside...
                running dry

OK, I'm in. I need something to get me motivated this winter. But it's going to have to get colder. It's only been down to around 18 degrees here and I couldn't even earn 1 point at that temp.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You know...we should get points for running in snow on unplowed roads, too. Especially during whiteouts when vehicles can't see us and our eyes feel sandblasted from snow by the time we finish our runs. Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

wanderingoutlaw

I can only play if I can use celsius scale Big grin

John

Prince of Fatness

It's going to be in the 60's here today. By Friday it won't get out of the 30's. These temperature swings are not uncommon this time of year in my neck of the woods. I've always wanted to do the "more miles than degrees" thing, but I need to hit it just right. While I run with temperatures in the mid to upper teens often enough, the single digit stuff isn't all that common. Plus I run in the late afternoon during the week, so even on a cold day the temperatures are usually at least in the teens when I go out. It looks like my best shot is a weekend morning long run.

Not at it at all. 

obsessor

I'm gonna run on the treadmill. Winter sucks. I'm leaving this hellhole. It's -1"F outside right now. Did I mention I hate the cold? Have fun, folks.
                            Reading this thread I get the impression I live in a subtropical climat Big grin The last weeks we had rather normal temperatures for the time of the year, but daily temperatures are still above O*C/32*F, and we didn't have frost every night. It is only in january that it's more likely to have a few 'icedays' (daytemperature below 0*C/32*F) here. But last month I have been running while it was snowing (very rare for november/december), does that still gives me some HTFU-points?

Running in Belgium
                            Ann

Frank4

9 miles this morning with a temperature of 0. Not much wind, so I guess that's something to be thankful for, but it felt extra cold this morning for some reason. You gotta love NE Wisconsin. Is it spring yet??? Confused
                                I actually take exception to the blanket "windchill doesn't matter" mindset. I mean, sure, if it's 10F outside with a windchill of 5F then yeah, windchill doesn't matter. However, there are times when it does. Last Sunday it was 23F here and snowing. That's nifty. But the winds were incredible and the windchill was -4F. Trust me, I ran Sunday and -4F with blowing snow was much more indicative of the running conditions than 23F.
                                And who am I anyway?
                                Just another fat jogger, evidently.